19 And New To Cheer.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 13, 2019
Hi, I'm nineteen and have no background in cheerleading or gymnastics. I started dance (ballet) in September of last year, and have increased my flexibility tremendously. However, I also want to start all-star cheerleading. I realize this is a tall order considering my lack of background and age, but it's my goal. Anyways, I live in an area with multiple cheer and gymnastics gyms but none with open classes for adults. I found a dance studio that doesn't have an age limit on it's classes, and luckily, teaches tumbling skills. Is there a difference between learning at a dance studio and learning in a gym? I'm unsure.

I've been so anxious about cheer because I seriously want to do it, but I don't really know where to start. For the last month, I've been using CheerFit and Cheer Conditioning Academy to gain more strength and endurance for tumbling, and later for cheer in general. I wish I had access to the cheerleading classes that are in my area, or even the gym so that I could practice tumbling safely. My biggest challenge besides not having lessons is that I have absolutely no space to practice. I mostly have to stay at home to take care of my grandma right now and every time I attempt a handstand, I get nervous that I'll knock everything over (which happens almost everytime I try to kick up into one).

Is anybody else around my age and new to this? I'd love some support and reminders that this isn't totally unrealistic and crazy to want.

First off, congratulations on trying something new!!! I started cheer at 19 as well so it definitely can be done!

Where are you located? Do any of the gyms near you offer Open teams? With your age, that would be your best bet! My first year on an open team, I didn’t have the skills needed or tumbling so I was a front spot! I enjoyed it because I got to experience all star cheer and the team bonding. Now a gym closer to me started a recreational adult team so I’m on that team and it is amazing! It’s texhnically a “parents” team but it’s open to everyone! I would also see if any gyms near you have one of those.

I’ve never danced or taken tumbling classes from a dance studio but from what I’ve seen those classes tend to lean more towards acro style and cheerleading with poms! But if the tumbling you are working on there is in a safe environment with a trained coach then I don’t know if there would be much difference!
In terms of space to practice, I would avoid practicing at home! You should look into the cheer and gymnastics gyms near you and see if any of them offer private lessons. Private lessons would allow you to build on your skills and coaches usually give you specialized workouts that you can do at home to build the muscles needed for the skills!

Your dream of cheering is definitely not unrealistic!! It sounds like you have the drive, passion, and willingness to develop the skills needed to be successful in cheer!
If you have any questions you can feel free to PM me! :)

Back