1st Year Cheer Mom - Advice Please!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 28, 2016
Hello! New here (and to competitive cheer in general) and hoping for some insight and advice. I apologize in advance that this post is long and kind of all over the place.

My daughter (7) is in her first year of AS cheer. She is competing youth level 2 with a small local gym. My CP is the youngest and one of the smallest on the team, but was terrified to fly when we began practicing back in July, and so has served as a front or side spot. She is not a strong tumbler so spends a good deal of the routine "chicken nugget-ing" or standing still. She is enjoying the experience, especially competition (minus having to put on the eye makeup lol), but has expressed to me several times that she wishes she "got to do more" in the routines.

She can do a cartwheel and a round off, but does not consistently land clean. She is working on her back walkover and back handspring but is nowhere close to performing either unassisted. I have repeatedly requested to put her in a tumbling class or a private lesson. First the coach (who is also the gym owner) told me that she didn't think CP needed extra classes. Then she said she just didn't have any open spots available. Finally about a month ago she said she could offer a joint private with 2 other girls. We have had three of those sessions now and every time there have been 5-6 girls, not 3.

As a parent, I am struggling. I can understand CP's frustration at not feeling like she is really a part of the routine. I feel like she would get more out of being on a level 1 team, or even a mini level 2 with younger girls so that she could base, but this gym only has one team. The coach has mentioned recently that she is considering having a mini team next year, but I'm honestly not sure how she will find the time to do both. Her gym is booked solid every afternoon/evening.

There is a large gym nearby that would be able to offer a more age and skill level appropriate team, as well as any classes or privates that we could want. It is more expensive and further away, but we are willing to make the sacrifices if it's what CP wants to pursue.

I know that the first year is a learning experience, as I'm sure it has been for the coaches with it being their first year as well. I'm wondering: if it were your child what would you do? Stick with the small gym another year and see if the situation improves? Or move to the bigger gym?

*Side note: CP used to do gymnastics at the bigger gym so we know the atmosphere there, and feel CP could be happy either place.

She definitely sounds like a level 1 athlete. The thing about teams is that coaches never know what they'll have the next season until the cheerleaders show up for tryouts. If I were in your shoes, I'd go to both tryouts and see where she's placed. If the current gym doesn't have a L1 team and gym B does, I'd put her in gym B. Frustration will very likely set in with your CP next season if she continues to nugget and not progress.

She definitely sounds like a level 1 athlete. The thing about teams is that coaches never know what they'll have the next season until the cheerleaders show up for tryouts. If I were in your shoes, I'd go to both tryouts and see where she's placed. If the current gym doesn't have a L1 team and gym B does, I'd put her in gym B. Frustration will very likely set in with your CP next season if she continues to nugget and not progress.

Thanks for your input! Our current gym doesn't even do tryouts. If you're interested, you tell the owner and show up ...

We are definitely planning on attending tryouts at Gym B, though.

Thanks for your input! Our current gym doesn't even do tryouts. If you're interested, you tell the owner and show up ...

We are definitely planning on attending tryouts at Gym B, though.
No gym really has tryouts despite calling them that. Just like your current gym, if a kid shows up and wants to be on a team they'll be put on a team. There are very, very few gyms that won't take an athlete and place them on a team.

** I don't always cite facts but when I do I make them up**

No gym really has tryouts despite calling them that. Just like your current gym, if a kid shows up and wants to be on a team they'll be put on a team. There are very, very few gyms that won't take an athlete and place them on a team.

That's true and makes a good point. I guess what I meant to say was that our current gym doesn't evaluate skills to form a level appropriate team. Because we have 5 girls out of 20 that can do BHS (and not all of those very well, tbh), coach decided to compete at level 2 (where we have not seen much success). However, the majority of our girls are truly level 1 athletes.

She definitely sound like a Mini Level 1 athlete and honestly that is where I would want her (hello from a fellow Mini Level 1 mom). The jump from Level 1 to Level 2 is really big and I wouldn't want her to miss the proper progression up. Also as she ages, she'll realize more and more what she isn't doing and will likely want to leave the sport regardless of whether or not she likes it.

When you say further away, how far are we talking? This year I took on the further gym and I'll be honest, at first it didn't seem like a big deal but now that we're in February it is. We drive just under an hour to an hour depending on traffic, but where she originally tried out for didn't have a Mini's team so she needed to go elsewhere. Now if we're talking like 30 minutes instead of 10 minutes, I'd say that probably isn't a huge deal and go for Gym B.

Also make sure you're comparing total costs associated with the gym---not only will tuition be different, but what type of comps does Gym B go to and are they more expensive/further away/involving hotels...etc. All of that adds up, so just make sure you can handle that difference.

Good luck and welcome, I love seeing more mini kid parents on the board!

She definitely sound like a Mini Level 1 athlete and honestly that is where I would want her (hello from a fellow Mini Level 1 mom). The jump from Level 1 to Level 2 is really big and I wouldn't want her to miss the proper progression up. Also as she ages, she'll realize more and more what she isn't doing and will likely want to leave the sport regardless of whether or not she likes it. !

Are you thinking she'll continue to nugget through the years where this will become a deeper problem?

She definitely sound like a Mini Level 1 athlete and honestly that is where I would want her (hello from a fellow Mini Level 1 mom). The jump from Level 1 to Level 2 is really big and I wouldn't want her to miss the proper progression up. Also as she ages, she'll realize more and more what she isn't doing and will likely want to leave the sport regardless of whether or not she likes it.

When you say further away, how far are we talking? This year I took on the further gym and I'll be honest, at first it didn't seem like a big deal but now that we're in February it is. We drive just under an hour to an hour depending on traffic, but where she originally tried out for didn't have a Mini's team so she needed to go elsewhere. Now if we're talking like 30 minutes instead of 10 minutes, I'd say that probably isn't a huge deal and go for Gym B.

Also make sure you're comparing total costs associated with the gym---not only will tuition be different, but what type of comps does Gym B go to and are they more expensive/further away/involving hotels...etc. All of that adds up, so just make sure you can handle that difference.

Good luck and welcome, I love seeing more mini kid parents on the board!

Thanks for your input! It makes me feel a lot better to see others agree with my gut feeling of what level she should be at.

Our current gym is about a 45 min drive for me and Gym B would be about an hour to 1:15 depending on traffic. Not that big of a difference, but definitely more driving, most of it interstate, though.

I have a copy of the parent packet from last year for Gym B, so I've been able to do a pretty good cost comparison. It's a pretty big difference ... Over $1,000 at least, not including any private lessons or extra tumbling classes, or travel expenses. But if CP truly wants to continue competing, and if we feel that Gym B is the better fit, we will do what we can to make it happen.

Are you thinking she'll continue to nugget through the years where this will become a deeper problem?

It wouldn't be surprising especially if they upped the team to level 2 with only 5 BHS which isn't even close to a majority plus one which is now an outdated rule anyway. I think each athlete should be able to learn and grow in a level appropriate atmosphere coming in because that can make or break a child's desire to do it. I mean, age appropriate is also super important but I think level appropriate is moreso important. Also the fact that her child is already making comments about it---I see it as I saw Sl's meltdown over being put back onto a Tiny's team. Could she have done it? Yes and she likely would have been a 'star' of the team, but it was a major downgrade in her eyes and she was ready to walk away from the sport she loves over it. I see rushing levels and having to nugget too much causing the same type of emotional stress that most kids shouldn't have to work through.

Thanks for your input! It makes me feel a lot better to see others agree with my gut feeling of what level she should be at.

Our current gym is about a 45 min drive for me and Gym B would be about an hour to 1:15 depending on traffic. Not that big of a difference, but definitely more driving, most of it interstate, though.

I have a copy of the parent packet from last year for Gym B, so I've been able to do a pretty good cost comparison. It's a pretty big difference ... Over $1,000 at least, not including any private lessons or extra tumbling classes, or travel expenses. But if CP truly wants to continue competing, and if we feel that Gym B is the better fit, we will do what we can to make it happen.

I suggest visiting the gym, driving to and from it during practice times and seeing how bad that drive really can be. Also factor in what time you'll be getting in at night and how that may effect school. Do you have nothing closer than 45 minutes away?

Last edited:

That's my fear, yes, unless I sign her up for extra classes at Gym B or elsewhere. She never gets a chance to work on her tumbling skills at our current gym, except when the coach has an extra 30 mins for a "private".

It wouldn't be surprising especially if they upped the team to level 2 with only 5 BHS which isn't even close to a majority plus one which is now an outdated rule anyway. I think each athlete should be able to learn and grow in a level appropriate atmosphere coming in because that can make or break a child's desire to do it. I mean, age appropriate is also super important but I think level appropriate is moreso important. Also the fact that her child is already making comments about it---I see it as I saw Sl's meltdown over being put back onto a Tiny's team. Could she have done it? Yes and she likely wouldn't have been a 'star' of the team, but it was a major downgrade in her eyes and she was ready to walk away from the sport she loves over it. I see rushing levels and having to nugget too much causing the same type of emotional stress that most kids shouldn't have to work through.

I suggest visiting the gym, driving to and from it during practice times and seeing how bad that drive really can be. Also factor in what time you'll be getting in at night and how that may effect school. Do you have nothing closer than 45 minutes away?

We did gymnastics/dance at that gym for 3 years so I'm used to the drive.

What time we would get in for the night may make a difference depending on practice nights/times. Right now we practice 6:00-8:00 on Mondays and get home at 8:45-9, which is past her bedtime, but we just try to make sure that she has already done homework, etc before practice. It hasn't been too bad.

Unfortunately, we live in an extremely rural area and these are our closest options.

We did gymnastics/dance at that gym for 3 years so I'm used to the drive.

What time we would get in for the night may make a difference depending on practice nights/times. Right now we practice 6:00-8:00 on Mondays and get home at 8:45-9, which is past her bedtime, but we just try to make sure that she has already done homework, etc before practice. It hasn't been too bad.

Unfortunately, we live in an extremely rural area and these are our closest options.

You're in Kentucky I'm assuming?

We can all give you our advice but the decision is yours and your family. Go visit the other gym. Talk to parents about teams, practice times coaching, and overall likes or dislikes. Gather all the info and then decide what is best for you and daughter. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back