All-Star 2021 Worlds - Day 3 Discussion

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

ive seen this being discussed lately, cant recall if its been brought up here. But again the scoring system dont make sense, and now i see this at summit and now it makes even less sense. Why allow multiple level 5 teams do the same transition but not lower level?

What team is this? I skimmed the D2 results and couldn't find any team with 6.25 in deductions. It's crazy to penalize a team so heavily for that at the final event of the year when they've been competing it all season.

It was one judge in one arena, with an anonymous "accuscore" email account to back it up.

Here is what I find the most mind blowing thing to me... There are some good, nice people that work for Varsity, some in very high ranking positions. I truly believe they care about the sport and the kids. WHY and HOW does this happen? Anyone with half a brain can see this is not right and I would have expected a lot more from them. It's baffling that these people cannot stand up for what is right sometimes. They can do it, I've seen them do it, but the fact that things like this can be ignored by those same people is insanity to me.

Varsity was in a no win situation and would have faced scrutiny either way. To us, it's an intentional transition, however, to the team they would have kicked out in Semi's, they might say the judge was correct, that it's a drop to the floor (the actual wording in the rules is "drop" not "fall"). "But, they didn't get deducted at other comps"....again, extremely frustrating. With that said, rules are ultimately for safety, and not how many times it was overlooked correctly or incorrectly. If the rule's intent is to prevent taking children from stunt position to laying on the ground for safety reasons, then I would imagine there were probably coaches questioning why they were dinged in the past for similar transitions. Or, perhaps it was just an over zealous judge that saw the transition as unsafe and applied a rule that was never intended to be applied that way.

Unfortunately, this was not the first, nor will it be the last controversial call in sport history. I'm 100% sad and angry for CA Pride Electric, but I also understand another team got to go through Semi's because of this call and it's very likely many of their fans felt the call was appropriate. No win situation.

I don't think that actual transition should be allowed-- it doesn't look all that safe to have the flyers landing on their backs with their heads nearly hitting the floor. But I'd rather see the team be given some sort of safety violation (maybe 1 point off) instead of claiming the team fell on 5 stunts and destroying their score. Anyone with a brain can see this was a possible safety violation on a transition, not a performance error.

I don't think that actual transition should be allowed-- it doesn't look all that safe to have the flyers landing on their backs with their heads nearly hitting the floor. But I'd rather see the team be given some sort of safety violation (maybe 1 point off) instead of claiming the team fell on 5 stunts and destroying their score. Anyone with a brain can see this was a possible safety violation on a transition, not a performance error.

They sent this in and it was deemed legal per USASF.

They sent this in and it was deemed legal per USASF.
I saw in that thread where another coach for another team sent a similar transition that was also deducted as a fall in, but not where (in that thread at least) this particular team's coach say they sent it in. But I feel like most teams send in their routines just to make sure everything is good to go anyway.
But either way, it's not a question of legality, as it was deducted as a fall, not an illegal skill.

Their raw score was an 87.5 which put them in 8th before the deductions. Places 9 and 10 were tied with an 87.4 (10 went on to finals), so any deduction would have taken them out of finals. I agree a warning would have been nice, but it was the year end championship and their warning would have prevented someone else from going through. It was a situation where they had to make a a decision, take the criticism and move on either way.

Back