All-Star 23-24 Proposed Open Age Grid Changes & Division Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

For small gyms like my daughters old one, this will definitely affect them. They have 2 World teams now…..with age of 18 maybe they will have one, probably not as good. We just cracked top 3, first in their state, last year but now 💁

There is a point for making open teams 18+, mainly the whole thing of minors being on a team with adults much older than them. Considering the various situations with athletes and gym owners we've had over the last few years it's a welcomed change.

Finally some accountability and action here. It's pretty obvious there's minor/adult abuse in our industry right now and this is a step I couldn't agree more with. I see this bringing back more true senior teams here, which isn't a bad thing. Open teams should be for legal-aged, consenting adults. To be frank, I don't really care what teams this will alter - kids have no business cheering with adults. I don't want to hear any whining that 13 yr. old Suzie can't be with her 24 yr. old male stunt partner on the same team anymore. Sorry not sorry.

There's nothing negative to say about the changes, except solely from a talent pool standpoint. With that said, as far as dealing with the abuse in the industry, it's "lipstick on a pig." Predators don't care what team, gym, or state these kids are in, all they need are trusting parents, unsupervised and naive children, and opportunity.

There's nothing negative to say about the changes, except solely from a talent pool standpoint. With that said, as far as dealing with the abuse in the industry, it's "lipstick on a pig." Predators don't care what team, gym, or state these kids are in, all they need are trusting parents, unsupervised and naive children, and opportunity.

Exactly. I figure Varsity did this mostly just to say they did something. Most predatory behavior isn’t happening at cheer practice or out in the open. As long as every kid has a phone that goes unmonitored and parents who continue to not supervise their kids, predators can prey as usual— it doesn’t matter if they are on the same team as the kid, a coach at the same gym, or from a completely different program. Phones make the cheer community small. This is a problem plaguing not only cheer, but pretty much every aspect of life where both kids and adults are involved.

There are an extremely large amount of Open age Level 6 teams right now, I’m very curious to see what happens moving forward. Most gyms will really struggle to form any 18+ teams and might have to turn athletes away that they’d otherwise have a team for. Finding enough 18+ flyers might be the biggest struggle, I hope it doesn’t lead to girls feeling pressure to stay unnaturally small past puberty.

I see the positive outcomes that can come from this, however I do fear it. I'm not sure how well it will work out. Many gyms are going to be cutting their open teams. The non tumbling team at my gym consists of several, if not at least half minors. I'm worried about the outcome that is less adults in cheer in general. I wish they could have made it 16+ or 17+. That would seem more reasonable.

Yes, yes, yes!

Too many divisions without any competition in them. Many divisions have turned into a battle between 2-3 teams OR only have a few teams remaining.

Can we talk about Global All Girl? Without Cobalt or ECE this division is sitting WIDE open for 23-24. Can someone please tell me @topguncheer is going to make an All-Girl Global team this year (gawwwwd that would be magic) or FLYERS from Canada put a team in this division.. Charles the division is calling your name. Literally, there is no one and the division is look dismal and dead!

All Girl 6 International.. the Great Whtie and GG show. This division has really lost its excitement since some key players moved out of the division (Sparkle, Gymtyme, Supermodels)

Large Coed 6.. another division that has died, sad.

Back