All-Star 360 Down/retake/unwind Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2010
I'm really hoping someone can offer some tips or drills or SOMETHING to help me, help this flyer.

She's been working the 360 down (or retake or unwind, whatever you call it) from prep. Her spin is great, her body is tight but somehow, she cannot get the concept of landing back in a smoosh. She can't seem to bend her knees and drop her chest down to land. She tends to stay tight so her legs shoot out in front of her (no matter how hard her bases try to resist) or she might get her knees bent, but she leans back and falls into the backspot.

We've tried yelling "smoosh" or some other key word right before needs to and it's not helping. It has been MONTHS and today, she just lost it. She's so angry, frustrated, discouraged and now just giving up.

Ideas? Anyone? PLEASE!! It actually breaks my heart to see her so upset and nothing I say or do seems to be working.

TIA

Has she done it on the ground? Try standing on a frisbee. Spin and hit the correct body position. Muscle memory is what's got her doing it incorrectly. Sounds like she's been practicing the wrong thing by doing it incorrectly in the stunt. Retrain her and see if that helps!

Chest over toes... She needs to lift her butt up, not just drop it down.

Can she consistently do a regular pop down to squish (smoosh)? It would definitely be helpful for her to do that first... She needs to be able to pull up and into the center, then drop back down to squish without loosening up or pulling her ankles apart.

I had the same problem when learning these, possibly came from learning full ups to prep first.
To get over it I did pop down smooshes over and over again. Just straight ones making sure to ride the pop with legs straight and bend at the correct time to catch shoulders.
For her 360 down she shouldn’t be initiating the twist therefore get her to think exactly like a normal pop down (not saying this is right but on occasion my bases have agreed to twist without me knowing therefore making sure I was not pre-empting : -)
It helped for me to take it back to basics and get the muscle memory in place for straights and then add the twist.
I really feel for her because it is so frustrating when you know exactly what you are doing wrong but can’t seem to correct it!

Back