6 Ways To Reduce Soreness After Cheer & Tumbling Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 21, 2015
Click For Full Article

by Coach Sahil from TumblingCoach.com

This article by Coach Sahil is going to help EVERY athlete out during summer conditioning!​

Let’s face it, regardless of how many rule changes USASF makes, you and I both know that tumbling will always be a very crucial part of All-Star Competitive Cheerleading. And athletes will always find new ways to push their skills to the limit.

Because of this, I’d say competitive cheer is one of the hardest, and most physically demanding sports in the world today (after artistic gymnastics).

Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply misinformed or hasn’t had the courage to step in a gym.

I mean, just think of the physical attributes an all-star cheerleader needs to master:

• Flexibility for flying
  • Plyometrics for jumps and tumbling
  • Strength for basing and basket tosses
  • Coordination for stunts and dance
  • Cardiovascular Endurance to get through a routine

Now add on the fact that a cheerleader trains anywhere from 6-12 hours per week, and you have a recipe for leg-shaking soreness and body aches. And if it’s close to competition season, the “full out” run-throughs don’t exactly help.

How Can You Bounce Back?

The unfortunate truth is that most athletes have no clue about what it takes to properly recover from such a demanding workout. And when you don’t know what you’re doing, one of two things will happen:

1. Your body will shut down (you’ll get sick or injured)
  2. You will rely on band-aid solutions to get you through the day (IcyHot patches, RubA535 creams etc.)

But today, I’m about to show you 6 proven, scientifically-backed tips that you can use to beat the soreness, and recover in less time than it takes to complain about your conditioning program.

I’ve broken all the tips down into two groups: Physical & Nutritional, and near the end, I’ve posted my personal routine so you can see how I put everything together and avoid limping all day.

How can you be sure all these tips work?

Well besides the scientific references I’ve listed (you’re free to read them if you like), I use them myself. And you should bare in mind that I not only tumble, but I’m also an active competitive Powerlifter and coach anywhere from 4-7 times per week where I have to do quite a bit of heavy spotting.

If I didn’t know how to recover and bounce back quickly, I doubt I’d be able to function!

Keep reading here!!!

Back