All-Star A Couple Of Questions To All Of The Coaches And Gym Owners Out There!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 21, 2010
Sorry if a thread like this has already been started, I searched but didnt see one. ANYWHO! :D :D :D

Gym owners/coaches, how did your gym get its name and colors? How did you choose what to name each of your teams? Did you have it planned like... your entire cheer-life, or did you jsut kind of hear it and say" thats my gym..."

ALSO! What made you want to become a coach/gym owner? :D

Our name is after the owner. The GEMS came from me working at a jewelry store for 18 years and my girls loved to come in and try on rings and jewelry. Having each GEM wear a different color was my daughter's (Head Coach) idea. I love that every team is different. I like seeing a girl in a certain color and telling her that her team did a great job.

Sorry if a thread like this has already been started, I searched but didnt see one. ANYWHO! :D :D :D

Gym owners/coaches, how did your gym get its name and colors? How did you choose what to name each of your teams? Did you have it planned like... your entire cheer-life, or did you jsut kind of hear it and say" thats my gym..."

ALSO! What made you want to become a coach/gym owner? :D
You are going to find that the majority of gym owners never cheered allstars because it did not start until after we all cheer either in high school or college. Either way for me when I opened Airborne I did it as an homage to my grandfather. He was in the Army Airborne division and then went on the be a Doctor and the mayor of a small city and I always looked up to him. I thought the name was fun and a way to honor him as well.

I chose purple white and bright blue bc those three colors are my favorite and also because they are the favorite of 40% of the world population. I figured if those are the colors the majority of the world likes then it'll help attract more people (and maybe endear us a bit to judges? Lol, kidding)
I chose Cheer Energy bc I wanted a name that represented what I feel like when my teams compete or I'm watching an amazing team perform. I love action packed, high energy routines.

I know that Happy doesn't get on here often, so I'm going to cut and paste his reasons from a couple of interviews he did a few years ago:

CBN: How did the slogan “The Pride of Alabama” come about?
Happy: I truly believe things happen for a reason. ACE began as Alabama Cheer Elite. We really wanted to represent the people and heritage of Alabama, and I felt that having the name Alabama in our title would really help in our identity. Well, we were sued by a gym in Alabama that already had “Alabama” and “Cheer” in their name, and they didn’t want us to use it. But that ended up being the best thing to ever happen. We strictly went by ACE All-Stars of Alabama, and it has been wonderful. I still wanted to use Alabama marketing-wise, so in the tagline of our cheer we used “The Pride of Alabama.” Through a lot of hard work by athletes, coaches, parents and staff, we are a worldwide name as the ACE Tribe. There’s even an ACE Tribe in Dundee, Scotland!

CBN: When you first started the program, why did you decide to go with the “Tribe” theme?
Happy: The main reasons that I chose to honor the “Tribe” spirit are because of my family and where I grew up. I’m of Cherokee lineage and grew up in Cherokee County, Alabama. Everywhere you go and all businesses there use some honor of Native American symbolism. To me, the colors of red, black and gold are the perfect fit for the “Tribe” spirit. Growing up, I would draw uniforms of the tribe, and the colors were always red, black and gold.

Cheer Coach: All the teams have a tribe symbol or a tribe name and although Hooper is sensitive to the issues of using Native American mascots, his premise for using tribes was out of respect. He explains it this way, “It’s important that you respect the heritage and the people. We did it for the appreciation and love of family; the fight for family. That is what we instill in our kids and that is what the whole thing is about. Fighting as one person for your family and keeping in mind that the family unit is the most important thing.”

Ours is Cheer Xtreme Dynasty, colours hot pink, silver and black. I took over the program in its 2nd year, so I'm not sure how the Cheer Xtreme part came about. I know the pink was because the other teams in the city were Coed, and they wanted something decidedly girly as an All Girl team.

This year, we added "Dynasty" to the Cheer Xtreme name. Our IO6 team is Reign, Senior is Divas. When we add more levels, they will be princesses and prima donnas. We're in a bit of a rebirth in our program, so new logo, tweeked name and uniforms!

ALSO! What made you want to become a coach/gym owner?

I took over a program, and they already had the name Cheer Zone. I wish looking back I would have changed it because there are two other Cheer Zones within a few hours of us and it's so annoying to go to competition and get mixed up. I'm sure they think we stole it from them, but like I said, it was there when I took over.
As for colors, they were pink and green. There was no way I was going to keep it, and it really came down to what isn't around us. We switched to teal and black because that was the only color combo that wasn't anywhere near us. We have a "mascot" of the shark, which the kids voted on, but it's not used much. They like it and use it, but it's not really known outside of the gym.
I never thought about being an owner, but I always coached. I was at the very end of completing my masters degree, and a gym I was helping at mentioned they were closing at the end of the season. I saw the potential and made plans to buy it from them instead, and here we are about to finish the first season. Thankfully, I have awesome, talented kids and we have had a great season.

I took over a program, and they already had the name Cheer Zone. I wish looking back I would have changed it because there are two other Cheer Zones within a few hours of us and it's so annoying to go to competition and get mixed up. I'm sure they think we stole it from them, but like I said, it was there when I took over.
As for colors, they were pink and green. There was no way I was going to keep it, and it really came down to what isn't around us. We switched to teal and black because that was the only color combo that wasn't anywhere near us. We have a "mascot" of the shark, which the kids voted on, but it's not used much. They like it and use it, but it's not really known outside of the gym.
I never thought about being an owner, but I always coached. I was at the very end of completing my masters degree, and a gym I was helping at mentioned they were closing at the end of the season. I saw the potential and made plans to buy it from them instead, and here we are about to finish the first season. Thankfully, I have awesome, talented kids and we have had a great season.
Maybe you could change the gym name to Cheer Zone Sharks, or at least use it at competitions to differentiate yourselves, without having to fully change the name to something completely different?

The name came to me while driving to work. I chose Cheer Dynamics and I saw this team while coaching in NJ and loved their black, teal, and white colors (Central Jersey) .... so I used those colors .... I miss owning my gym but my daughter loves California All-Stars and I like to sit back and watch (I do really miss coaching however)

We were once Pacific Coast Cheer (hense where we live) the owner loved sky blue (ocean), orange (sun), and black for our colors. Also, we were Magic all Stars purple & gold and I dont know where Troy & Keri came up with this I have never asked him. Maybe they loved the NBA Lakers. lol!! Once we merged we took the purple from Magic and the orange from Pacific Coast Cheer. They wanted to stand out with our color combo. The team names were made up by all of the coaches. We went to wiki and typed in magic and came up with a lot of ideas along with google for help. It was after our try-outs the first merged year and we wanted to creat a theme for the teams to be branded. We came up with the magical theme and have names for our teams like: Fantasy, Enchanted, Supernatural, Divine, Mysterious, Majestic, Dream makers, Day dreamers Desire, Illusion, Farytailes, Pixies, Superstition, Wish, Imagine, charmed, tinkerbells, Karma, Believe, Trust , Faith, Hope.

I became a coach years ago helping out when I was in high school for pop warner teams and choreographing for my own high school and local pop warner teams. I also staffed for UCA when I got out of high school and cheered for an oepen all stars college team Champion Cheer (San Diego) & West Coast Mavericks. Then I decided to have my own all star team and created 1 team of 25 girls. From there I combined with a home school program that opened a huge gym in the area Temecula Valley Stars. I started coaching multiple teams there as we began to gain enrollment. Then from there the owner gave it over to me. I accepted a partner to run the powertumbling part of the gym and we didnt have the same goals in common. I left that business and went to coach at Cali all stars. From Cali all stars I came back to the home town gym and coached for Kellie the owner of Pacific Coast Cheer who was once a coach for me at my gym and had opened up a gym in the area. I have been here ever since and I love it!! We are a big family!!

We were once Pacific Coast Cheer (hense where we live) the owner loved sky blue (ocean), orange (sun), and black for our colors. Also, we were Magic all Stars purple & gold and I dont know where Troy & Keri came up with this I have never asked him. Maybe they loved the NBA Lakers. lol!! Once we merged we took the purple from Magic and the orange from Pacific Coast Cheer. They wanted to stand out with our color combo. The team names were made up by all of the coaches. We went to wiki and typed in magic and came up with a lot of ideas along with google for help. It was after our try-outs the first merged year and we wanted to creat a theme for the teams to be branded. We came up with the magical theme and have names for our teams like: Fantasy, Enchanted, Supernatural, Divine, Mysterious, Majestic, Dream makers, Day dreamers Desire, Illusion, Farytailes, Pixies, Superstition, Wish, Imagine, charmed, tinkerbells, Karma, Believe, Trust , Faith, Hope.

I became a coach years ago helping out when I was in high school for pop warner teams and choreographing for my own high school and local pop warner teams. I also staffed for UCA when I got out of high school and cheered for an oepen all stars college team Champion Cheer (San Diego) & West Coast Mavericks. Then I decided to have my own all star team and created 1 team of 25 girls. From there I combined with a home school program that opened a huge gym in the area Temecula Valley Stars. I started coaching multiple teams there as we began to gain enrollment. Then from there the owner gave it over to me. I accepted a partner to run the powertumbling part of the gym and we didnt have the same goals in common. I left that business and went to coach at Cali all stars. From Cali all stars I came back to the home town gym and coached for Kellie the owner of Pacific Coast Cheer who was once a coach for me at my gym and had opened up a gym in the area. I have been here ever since and I love it!! We are a big family!!

I loved TVS! What year did they close?

Maybe you could change the gym name to Cheer Zone Sharks, or at least use it at competitions to differentiate yourselves, without having to fully change the name to something completely different?

Yeah we may do that next season. One of them uses Cheer Zone Tigers and the other uses The Cheer Zone, so it's mostly confusing the parents and outsiders. Normally we just use Cheer Zone Mount Washington, or they list the city next to the name on the schedule anyways. I don't like using Cheer Zone Sharks because I think it's so close to Cheer Sport Sharks in Canada, even though I know the girls and parents have never heard of them.
Rambling, but all this leads me back to thinking I should have changed it while I could. Now the town and parents know the name, and it would be a hassle to change it at this point. :)

The gym name “Triad Athletics” originates from the 3 pillars on which each team will stand.

WISDOM-This means understanding how to thrive in this sport through knowing and understanding the rules and learning why and how to properly progress their skills. Triad Athletics also rewards those athletes that excel scholastically.

STRENGTH-To succeed in any sport, athletes must have strength in both mind and body. At Triad Athletics athletes will learn the proper conditioning and technique to build their body strength. Athletes will also learn to trust and build confidence in one another through teamwork. Cheerleading is a true team sport. No part is more important that the whole. Each member must contribute their individual abilities to thrive as ONE TEAM!

BEAUTY-Triad athletes are beautiful both inside and out. Our outward beauty is reflected in our technique, uniformity and performance. Our inward beauty is reflected in how we treat ourselves, our team and EVERYBODY else. It is easy to be kind to friends, but we encourage our athletes to remember to treat everyone with respect, including themselves. To Triad Athletics nothing is more beautiful than confidence in yourself and pride in each other!

Back