All-Star Acrylic Nails

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 22, 2010
this year i have been seeing more and more cheerleaders with acrylic nails. i really want to get them done, but i dont think my gym allows them. what are other gyms policies on nails?

I'm not sure at all what gyms policies are on them. I know that most hospitals ban all employees from wearing them. They ban them based on a lot a research that indicates that they harbor bacteria that can make people very sick. The studies done by the hospital say that even immediately after washing your hands, the bacteria can still be under the acrylics. I would think in a sport where accidental scratches are pretty common, that fake nails should be a big no-no! Not to mention, if you have ever had them, and had one rip off, the pain will bring you to your knees. I'd imagine for that reason, they wouldntnt be smart to tumble with...

I really like gels. They last two weeks and its just a thicker polish on top of your real nail. And they look good at a short length. Something to consider instead of acrylics.

I do not allow them in my gym. They tend to be long, blunt and have sharp edges; all of which is not conducive to cheerleading. Nails need to be kept short, rounded and well filed if you want to be on my squads. I had one girl turn up with them the other week and she sat out of practice till she got them taken off.

I agree with gels, they look really classy, and dont ruin your natural nails as bad as acrylics. Some salons also do filmo shapes with gel nails which are super cute and although they do stick out of your nail a tiny bit, they arnt half as dangerous as long acrylic nails!

A girl from my gym had them. One of her nails got ripped out. Not only the acrylic nail, her real nail too. She couldn't base for 2-3 weeks because her real nail had to grow back. I wouldn't recommend getting acrylics.

acrylics not only extremely damage your nail by making them paper thin but they are more prone to rip off and rip off your whole nail. i'd recommend getting gel over acrylic if you really want to get them done

When I did Open, a lot of girls had their nails done (usually acrylics). I was so nervous about accidentally getting jabbed in the eye with an errant arm flying out. Do NOT recommend. Get them painted, get gels (had that done once, but hated how it felt on my nails), but I'd avoid acrylics. They're pretty, don't get me wrong, but not worth it imo.

I had a gel set and then got a sports cut, short enough were you see a little if you were looking at your palm.

your gym may or may not allow it, you'd have to ask them.

aside from scratching yourself/someone else, the rule is mostly in place (especially at comps) to check the blood flow to your fingernails. if they're covered in acrylic/painted purple/have gel on them, no one will be able to tell. The "capillary nail refill test" tells if you're dehydrated or in shock, which may be helpful to a medic if you happen to get injured.

not to mention how damaging acrylics are. the last time i had them taken off (and the last time i'll ever have them) i lost most of my natural nails in the process. no thanks.

My gym doesn't allow them, but they do allow gel. Especially since it's just like a thin coating over the nail. I get them done before every comp and just have mine cut down.

It doesn't matter if you wear your nails natural or gel/acrylic. If you wear them long you always risk a chance of ripping a nail off. My child got scratches from girls with VERY short natural nails.

The key is to have nails done at the athletic length which doesn't give length at all. To me those arent as sharp as your natural nail because it gives your nail a slight thickness that doesn't tear into the skin as easily. JMO

Way back in the day I had an acrylic nail ripped off my finger (along with my real fingernail) while I was basing an elevator. DON'T GET THEM.

my mom wont let me get them. I used to want them really bad, but im pretty proud of my natural nails and I dont want them anymore. A lot of people think my natural nails are fake and I keep them really short.

I actually think long nails stink. Literally. Food gets stuck down there and stuff and starts rotting if you dont clean it ALL out, which is pretty hard to do. gross.

If you don't stunt and you really want them, I say go for it.
But no one would like to get scratched with those or have them digging into their skin. Get gels! My friend does instead and they look just as pretty and more natural. They also don't tear up your real nails as far as I know, and even if they do I'm sure it's a ton less than acrylics.

Back