Aerobesque Twist

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 4, 2011
Hey Everyone,

Im preparing my girls for aerobesque twists. What are some good tips to help the girls with not being afraid to do this and to avoid injury. I know how scary any type of twisting can be so as a coach I would just like to know if there are any good tips you tell your fellow teamates or kids you coach on a. how to do one and b. do it with confidence without injury ?

An aerobesque full down? Its all about making sure they ride the pop and then square to the front and keep their legs together and arms down to their left hip. No elbows!! Thats the leading cause of many nose injuries stunting. You can do drills be making them full down from a half first. Personally, aerobesque full downs are easier because you have the momentum from your leg coming down.

tell the flyers to try and stay in the arabesque shape until the bases have popped so they dont start twisting right from the bases hands as this can mean the twist is cranked round = elbows! Also as the bases pop, the flyer needs to be pulling up and squaring to the front in a tight body shape (imagine if you were taking the picture then, you want to see the flyer in a T shape squared to the front snapping her legs together before she even starts the twists) then from there she wraps her arms into her left pocket so there are no elbows out. If she stays tight and makes sure she is 'T'ing to the front the twist will be easy and pretty and not scary!! if she gets good technique, double downs will come easy too - she must just be slightly more aggressive with her twist but change nothing else. Good luck and i hope that made sence! haha

ARABESQUE for god's sake! :wasntme:

Doesn't have anything to do with air, aero or whatever it literally means "in Arabic fashion". :)

I think the fliers should practice on the ground first. My fliers biggest problem was she couldn't figue out what to do with her arms and legs and she would get all tangled up. So I would stand her on the ground in a arabesque and slow motion twist her while she practiced placing her arms and legs correctly

I think the fliers should practice on the ground first. My fliers biggest problem was she couldn't figue out what to do with her arms and legs and she would get all tangled up. So I would stand her on the ground in a arabesque and slow motion twist her while she practiced placing her arms and legs correctly
Do this on an upside down frisbee too....once they're ready to speed it up. They're slick and will spin so they can get the feel of it. Be ready to catch!

Back