All-Star Amazing Story Of A Thoughtful Brother And A Special Needs Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

2CPMOM

Cheer Parent
Jul 6, 2011
I thought this story was great! What an amazing young man to be so thoughtful to others:
http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...-cheerleaders-

Originally Posted by 9news
WELD COUNTY - The Colorado State Fair's market beef show wrapped up last week, and only one person left with the most coveted prize. Thirteen-year-old Cody Huwa took home $53,000 for his grand champion steer - and he plans to donate $10,000 of that to a special needs cheerleading team.

His 12-year-old sister Kylie cheers for the team called Cheer Central Suns, a team that has won a national championship.

Cody isn't exactly your typical 13-year-old.

"I had first grand champion with my steer and second grand champion with my heifer," Cody said of this year's competition. "The guy that was announcing said it's the first time it's ever happened."

Cody says he worked seven hours a day for nearly a year taking care of his animals. That hard work paid off last week, when at the auction he learned he would receive $53,000 for his heifer alone.

"My mom started crying and I started laughing," Cody said.

"I don't think he even knows what $53,000 looks like," his father Brent said, smiling.

Cody says he's always wanted to help his sister's cheerleading team, which competes across the country. Although Cody's parents can afford to send Kylie to competitions, the parents of many girls cannot.

"A lot of the girls are really amazing, and some of them can't go, so it'd be really cool if they could all go," Cody said.

His parents say they are shocked at the announcement - one he had never discussed with them. They say they are extremely proud of their son and how much he loves his sister.

"She does things that inspire me," Cody said.

What a sweet, thoughtful boy. His parents and family should be proud!

On another non cheering message board someone who knows the family wrote this:

"Cody's sister has Down syndrome and is on DD's national championship special needs cheer team.

He was quite bothered by the fact that there were some parents who, due to finances could not travel with their children to see them win their national championship back in February. Families with kids with special needs often have major expenses above and beyond the typical family. There are braces, wheelchairs, therapies, etc that often leaves little for extras."

I guess she was saying this is why he thought to donate the money

I love my Suns. What a sweet sweet brother. <3 The team is also entered in the pepsi refresh contest to try to earn money for traveling and other cheer-related finances. If you guys would help I would appreciate it SO much. It doesn't cost anything to vote, text 108627 to PEPSI (73774). I hope I can be a junior coach next season for them.

Back