All-Star Anyone worried about flights this year?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2022
With the pilot shortage and numerous flight cancellations each day, I am concerned about the season. I feel like we will all be on pins and needles hoping everyone can make it to a long distance comp.

Travel to competitions is going to be expensive this year. I wonder how long until schedules start tightening up and less sleep aways happen.

They expect the issue of cancelled flights to stabilize by the fall… according to an NBC News article anyway. It said they’ll eventually just scale back on the number of flights offered instead of cancelling a bunch of them.

They expect the issue of cancelled flights to stabilize by the fall… according to an NBC News article anyway. It said they’ll eventually just scale back on the number of flights offered instead of cancelling a bunch of them.
That doesn't bode well for cheer travel- fewer flights available and drive up the cost. All those Disney trips, we always had canceled flights because of the storms in central Florida. We would switch flights on Southwest sometimes 2 or three times while waiting in the terminal to see if we could get out.

Even pre-Covid, a retired pilot friend used to complain about summer travel. He said between staff and people traveling in record numbers with the easing of restrictions, as well as, most having not traveled for a couple of years, it's worth waiting or driving this summer.

His advice has always been, "Fly early, fly direct, avoid airlines who only have 1 or 2 flights to your destination per day, and avoid flying June-mid August, if possible."

Awesome question... I'm going to promote this one.

I actually started this thread over at ChalkBucket (Gymnastics forum) to see what everyone over there thinks as well.

You should be. We had to rent a car and drive to an airport 2 hours away to get home last week after our flight was cancelled and the option that they wanted to rebook on would have gotten us home more than a day later. If we'd been traveling for a competition, we would have, very literally, arrived in the middle of Day 2.

Back