Are You A Large Gym In Disguise?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 8, 2012
According to USASF :

SMALL GYM COMPETITIONS
Event producers may at their discretion offer separate competitions designated for “Small Gyms” only. Any USASF/IASF division may be offered at “Small Gyms” only events. A “Small Gym” is defined as having one physical address for its location and has 75 or less athletes registered in its competitive cheer program at the time of competition. Exhibition teams, crossover athletes, special needs teams and dance teams do not count toward the 75 or less athletes.

With that being said..I have been to few competitions. And being from a small gym you tend to keep up with other small gyms. 75 athletes or less. Well, I have seen a few teams that have well over that amount and win titles. Now lets do some math. if a team has 32 on the Junior team, 24 on a youth team, 30 on a senior team and about 20 minis.. that is about 106 athletes. Now I know there are a few crossovers..but that many crossovers? Small gyms, who are following rules don't get a chance because no one is calling out the teams that are breaking the rules. I honestly feel that at competitions, numbers should be counted and age should be REALLY checked to make sure athletes are competing in the right division and level.

According to USASF :

SMALL GYM COMPETITIONS
Event producers may at their discretion offer separate competitions designated for “Small Gyms” only. Any USASF/IASF division may be offered at “Small Gyms” only events. A “Small Gym” is defined as having one physical address for its location and has 75 or less athletes registered in its competitive cheer program at the time of competition. Exhibition teams, crossover athletes, special needs teams and dance teams do not count toward the 75 or less athletes.

With that being said..I have been to few competitions. And being from a small gym you tend to keep up with other small gyms. 75 athletes or less. Well, I have seen a few teams that have well over that amount and win titles. Now lets do some math. if a team has 32 on the Junior team, 24 on a youth team, 30 on a senior team and about 20 minis.. that is about 106 athletes. Now I know there are a few crossovers..but that many crossovers? Small gyms, who are following rules don't get a chance because no one is calling out the teams that are breaking the rules. I honestly feel that at competitions, numbers should be counted and age should be REALLY checked to make sure athletes are competing in the right division and level.

My gym has a special needs team, a mini 1, a junior 1, a junior 3, a senior 2 and a senior 4. Thats 5 year round teams with multiple crossovers. Even though we never compete in the small gym division when it's offered, we're kinda still considered a small gym because we only have 5 teams. I think that many gyms are that way and just consider themselves a small gym, but don't compete in the small gym division.

Back