OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
IDK a lot about gymnastics. But could the story here be that Simone knew the best the US could do was silver and removed herself from the team because they had a better chance of topping out at silver without her than with her? Like she knew if she kept competing and risking deductions, she’d tank them and pull them even further away from receiving any medal?

One of her comments was that she knew if she kept competing while “second guessing herself on the rest of the events” was that she felt like they could lose all medal prospects. (Super paraphrase but that was the bulk of it).

i think there is a lot to unpack when it comes to the simone biles saga, i think she is very aware of how the sports world hypes her up to the be the best of all time. That is a lot to live up to when your constantly branded as "the greatest".... also the fact that a lot of times the US coverage would hype her to the extent, that she was the only one who could carry the team to gold, im sure is something she heard a lot over the past few years... thats got to be a lot to take in.
An olympic silver medal is something to be extremely proud of, i cant believe people think that is a failure when more than half of us are sitting on our butts on couches eating popcorn doing nothing, lol. Just my personal view on things here...
i personally hate what the US gymnastic coverage has turned into the past few Olympic cycles, its become so cringeworthy that i only watch the BBC coverage when it comes to gymnastics anymore.
i know a lot of people have been starting to say that the committee failed at picking a stronger team, but quite frankly the committee failed not only the team, but simone herself. You dont build a team around one single athlete, hoping that she'll carry you to the finish line no matter what, and i feel like thats what they did when picking the team as a whole.
There were a lot of what ifs for me when it came to team selections this go around... reality is, it doesnt matter who they would have put, things might have still happened the way they did.
i could go on, but ill stop there for the night.

Simone Biles had officially withdrawn from the All-Around finals, I hope she's given the space she needs to recover. When the weight of the world is resting on your shoulders, it WILL break even the toughest individuals.

Getting lost in the air is SCARY, she needs to be in the right head space or risk permanent injury, which NO MEDAL IS EVER WORTH THAT.

IDK a lot about gymnastics. But could the story here be that Simone knew the best the US could do was silver and removed herself from the team because they had a better chance of topping out at silver without her than with her? Like she knew if she kept competing and risking deductions, she’d tank them and pull them even further away from receiving any medal?
If she doesn't pull herself from the meet, and tries to compete while blocking, the team doesn't medal at all. She gave them the best shot by taking herself out of the mix.

I love all the armchair quarterbacks out there stating that Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, insert any name here, etc would never have pulled themselves because they felt pressure etc. If Michael Jordan blocks on shooting a basketball, it doesn't go in. If Simone blocks on an apparatus, she potentially dies. That's not even apples and oranges.

Regardless of what happens, Simone will always be the GOAT. Mental health can turn into physical health real quick, and as @NJ Coach stated, throwing a ball is very different then flipping and twisting multiple times through the air. I have a lot of feelings and opinions when it comes to mental health, but for the sake of not going on a tangent I’ll simply say, those who are crapping on Simone do not understand and should shut up. They can say, “oh well Tom Brady…” or “if it was me…” all they want, but Brady has never been in her shoes and Joe Shmoe on the couch stuffing Cheetos in his face will absolutely never be in her shoes and have no room to comment.

ANYWAYS. Did anyone watch a coverage of the team finals that they would recommend? I would like to watch it, (it was awesome to read GB got bronze but what happened to China???) but I don’t want crappy commentary making it all about Simone and her not competing.

ANYWAYS. Did anyone watch a coverage of the team finals that they would recommend? I would like to watch it, (it was awesome to read GB got bronze but what happened to China???) but I don’t want crappy commentary making it all about Simone and her not competing.
NBCOlympics.com has apparatus streams, full coverage, and a few other choices I think. You'll have to log in with your cable carrier, but you should be able to watch what you want to see.

I echo everyone's sentiments about Simone so no need to retype it out. She's the GOAT, in more ways than one.

One takeaway for me is that the dominance we've enjoyed for so long is simply not there anymore. The World (or....Russia and maybe kinda China even though they had a bad day) have closed the gap we've enjoyed since 2012. And there's nothing wrong with that, I think it's exciting honestly. I know we had a rough day in qualifying, but we were losing to Russia by a point even WITH Simone. There's no telling what could have happened if you had someone else on the team, Simone was healthy, etc. You can "what if" yourself to death with that one and I can't bring myself to do it.

Instead I'm going to celebrate our women who overcame insane odds to bring home the silver! Looking forward to seeing Suni and Jade in AA, it's wide open now! Then on to event finals!

idk, it probably won't happen (I don't follow MAG that close but I know Sam has a rep for not doing well internationally) but it'd be cool if he retired with a medal.

It's so refreshing to see how genuinely proud and happy the US women's team is with winning silver. It's fine to be sad/disappointed, but people are acting like this is such a great loss when they did amazing and I'm happy they're happy. All four of them have been wonderful teammates and competitors and I just think they're great. Also, I'm really rooting for Rebeca and Suni tomorrow! Jade too! Does anyone know if she plans on doing her triple double layout?

idk, it probably won't happen (I don't follow MAG that close but I know Sam has a rep for not doing well internationally) but it'd be cool if he retired with a medal.

It's so refreshing to see how genuinely proud and happy the US women's team is with winning silver. It's fine to be sad/disappointed, but people are acting like this is such a great loss when they did amazing and I'm happy they're happy. All four of them have been wonderful teammates and competitors and I just think they're great. Also, I'm really rooting for Rebeca and Suni tomorrow! Jade too! Does anyone know if she plans on doing her triple double layout?

Honestly the only thing I care about during this Olympics is Sam going home with a medal. He’s been such an asset to US Men’s Gymnastics for so long, he deserves it more than anyone I can think of.

I think the US women did a great job in the team final - and I loved how Simone cheered them all on and was running back and forth to get chalk for them. Great teamwork and leadership in a difficult situation.

Also super stoked for the British girls getting that bronze! It came totally out of nowhere, I don't know what the coverage was like in the US but we saw hardly any of the GB girls routines here in the UK and it was a total shock when all of a sudden they were sitting in third. I think they were fifth maybe going in to the final rotation?

Really looking forward to all around today.

I'm so incredibly happy for Suni Lee, as well as, the rest of the US women's gymnastics team!

As far as the current rumbles in all the medias, speculating and inserting opinions on what someone is going through is far from supporting mental health. Once again, our medias are taking away a voice they keep saying people deserve to have.

Back