All-Star At Large Bids

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 11, 2011
I keep seeing this pop up on different treads/I wasn't aware of it being a problem, but what are your thoughts with at large bids for worlds? Are there too many? What's your opinion for giving out bids for next season? Is it even worth spending all that money to go to Disney? Most importantly, are the teams who receive at large bids, deserving of it?

In my opinion, I believe those who do receive a bid (at large, partial, full) deserve to compete at worlds. I'm from New England and there aren't as much level 5 teams around so it's truly a dream come true to receive one :) (I'm on ICO5 and it's hard to even find an event willing to give out partials/fulls to our division- let alone at larges) Also, looking at some of the teams who only have at large bids... I've seen them perform at competitions and they are amazingly talented. Some could say otherwise... which is why I made this tread.

<3

Sure teams with at large's deserve to go. But majority of the time, they don't win or make the top 3. I think CA Jags is the only team in a senior division to win without a Paid bid. I know there have been a few teams makes top 3 without a paid bid. But pretty sure Jags are the only to win. And a lot of organizations look at it like this, if you weren't good enough to beat out a few teams at a smaller competition to get a paid bid, then what makes you think that you can compete against the best in the world and do better.

I most certainly do believe teams that receive At Large or Partial bids deserve to attend the most prestigious Cheerleading event in the World...I also believe that any team can be beaten even teams that have received full Paid Bids. I dont believe there are too many, without them there wouldnt be as many teams attending since the partial and at large bids make up the majority of the teams who will be competing. I also believe attending worlds is worth every penny...there is nothing like it! Last year was our first time attending and my bags have been packed since tryouts in anticipation of going again.

If your get ANY kind of bid of course you deserve to go! The experience alone will prepare and help your gym get better for the next season!

First I think you have to define this discussion between At Large Bids for
International or Senior divisions. As I explained earlier, all of the worlds bid events we attend do not award pairs for Intl. We won Cheersport Natls and got an At large bid. We got Silver last year at Worlds and got an At Large. So, yes 100% At Larges are great for Intl teams.

at dallas this year I thhink a paid bid went to like a 20th place team in a division (please correct me if this is wrong). I think that shows that teams are receiving bids that really can't be competitive. jmo

First I think you have to define this discussion between At Large Bids for
International or Senior divisions. As I explained earlier, all of the worlds bid events we attend do not award pairs for Intl. We won Cheersport Natls and got an At large bid. We got Silver last year at Worlds and got an At Large. So, yes 100% At Larges are great for Intl teams.

It isnt a cheersport rule that they dont give international teams paid though is it?

at dallas this year I thhink a paid bid went to like a 20th place team in a division (please correct me if this is wrong). I think that shows that teams are receiving bids that really can't be competitive. jmo

Everyone that received a paid bid in Dallas were 4th place or higher in their division.

I'm thinking of the limited coed division maybe?? Could it have been a at large that was given down to a really low placing team?
That is very possible with such a large number of quality teams at the competition and lots of teams with bids already.

Allstar legacy got 9 out of 10 and received an at large

We have 2 teams going to Worlds on At large bids and we as coaches, athletes, parents, etc think of it has an honor to be given the opportunity to go to Worlds!

I'm thinking of the limited coed division maybe?? Could it have been a at large that was given down to a really low placing team?
The paid bids at Dallas went to: Gymtyme Pink 1st place IO5, Shooting Stars 1st place Large Sr, Top Gun 4th place IOC5, Charlotte Allstars 3rd place Large Ltd, F5 2nd place Large Sr, and Reign 4th place Sm Ltd.

The lowest placing At Large might have been 23rd (I think but I may be off) but it was a big division (over 30 teams), so this team was not nearly last place and I would argue that NCA had one of the deepest pools of talent, so I am not sure that this is a good example to use when talking about to many At Large bids.

The paid bids at Dallas went to: Gymtyme Pink 1st place IO5, Shooting Stars 1st place Large Sr, Top Gun 4th place IOC5, Charlotte Allstars 3rd place Large Ltd, F5 2nd place Large Sr, and Reign 4th place Sm Ltd.

The lowest placing At Large might have been 23rd (I think but I may be off) but it was a big division (over 30 teams), so this team was not nearly last place and I would argue that NCA had one of the deepest pools of talent, so I am not sure that this is a good example to use when talking about to many At Large bids.

ok my bad!

I keep seeing this pop up on different treads/I wasn't aware of it being a problem, but what are your thoughts with at large bids for worlds? Are there too many? What's your opinion for giving out bids for next season? Is it even worth spending all that money to go to Disney? Most importantly, are the teams who receive at large bids, deserving of it?

In my opinion, I believe those who do receive a bid (at large, partial, full) deserve to compete at worlds. I'm from New England and there aren't as much level 5 teams around so it's truly a dream come true to receive one :) (I'm on ICO5 and it's hard to even find an event willing to give out partials/fulls to our division- let alone at larges) Also, looking at some of the teams who only have at large bids... I've seen them perform at competitions and they are amazingly talented. Some could say otherwise... which is why I made this tread.

<3

My opinion of awarding bids is controversial... but I think the bids should be awarded only to teams in the top three in the division at a comp. That's it. I think this business of passing bids down the line until you get to someone who doesn't have one is nonsense. Say if the #1 team at a comp has a paid, and the #2 team has a partial, and bid being awarded is another partial, I think the #2 team should be awarded the second partial to be made a full paid. I don't think it should go down to the 4th or 5th place team if the 1st-3rd teams all have paid or partials. Theoretically, if you were a gym that didn't have a bid, and say you knew that BATC was coming up and all of the teams in your division that were going had paid bids, and they were giving a partial in that division, you can sign up for that comp and be awarded the bid. Did you necessarily "deserve" it? Probably not.You may have worked hard just like everyone else, but you shouldn't get bids by default. You should have to earn them. It's supposed to be the World Championship, not the "Feel good just cause you managed to get a bid" competition. If teams in places 1-3 already have a bid, then poof, it goes away.

Back