Back Handspring Conditioning?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 5, 2011
I'll be starting up tumbling in few weeks, maybe a month again and need some excersises to get me stronger everywhere!!! Although I'm not too concerned with legs ( Just finished Track), I defienetly need some excersises to keep those in tip top shape. I want to get stronger so I can learn quicker and better when my muscles are up to par of with the work I'll be doing. Please and Thank You cheer pals! : )

PLANKS! They helped me so much when I was learning my bhs. Hold straight arm planks for 30 seconds keeping your butt down and your body hollowed (butt down, stomach in, shoulders rounded). After 30 seconds, do 45, 1 min, 1.5 min, etc, etc. Also stretch out all your muscles especially your arms and back. Strengthen your core as well by doing sit ups, crunches, etc. Good luck!

PLANKS! They helped me so much when I was learning my bhs. Hold straight arm planks for 30 seconds keeping your butt down and your body hollowed (butt down, stomach in, shoulders rounded). After 30 seconds, do 45, 1 min, 1.5 min, etc, etc. Also stretch out all your muscles especially your arms and back. Strengthen your core as well by doing sit ups, crunches, etc. Good luck!
What about drills for throwing back into it after a round off?

Anything core related will help with not only BHS but everything in tumbling. Planks are great (mentioned above) side planks, hollow body holds (on back) roll to superman holds (on stomach) are good. Mountain Climbers, stomach crunches and bridges increase flexibility and ease of BHS.

Along with all of the other good suggestions; :)Handstands... Handstands, handstands, and did i mention Handstands?

You can go to back handspring conditioning and it will show all of the exercises you could do to help your back handsprings!
Good luck! :)

Thanks. My handstands suck! Whats the best way to get those solid? Sorry yall I have tons of questions because I want to get the best out of these tumbling classes! :) Maybe someone can make up a routine for me to follow ( I do better at following directions then making them up ) .

Go on the floor into a push up position. DO NOT PUSH UP WITH YOUR ELBOWS! Only SHRUG your shoulders; What this does is that it will help your push off the ground with your shoulders in a back handspring..not with your elbows because you will get injured. Good luck:)

Back