Back Kickover/front Walkover Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 29, 2013
I've been trying to get my back kickover (or walkover) for about 2 months now. Everytime I do it, I can never kick over hard enough. I fall back down into a bridge position. I've tried everything. Does anyone have any tips/help/advice? I need it by my competition which is the end of January. And for my front walkover, I can go forward, fall into a bridge and get up but it's not really a front walkover that. Does anyone have any tips? I'm so discouraged at this point. It looks like this (disclaimer: not me!)

Last edited:
Back kick over: Backbends with your feet on the couch (or bed) and your hands on the floor. Kick off the couch and land it. Do this over and over and over. It worked for me back in the day and for CP.

For the front walkover, land where your feet are a little below your hands. A wedge is good for this. Gradually work your way down the wedge until you are basically on level ground.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back WO - You need good shoulder flexibility to do these. When you kick over, your shoulders should be pushing past your hands to transfer the weight of your body over, if that makes sense. Keep stretching your shoulders and you'll start to see an improvement. Do the above drills, getting your feet lower to the ground each time and focus on getting your shoulders past your hands when you do them until your feet are starting on the ground.

Front WO - Core will help, but the WO in the video was quite slow. Kick your feet hard over into the handstand - drive hard with your heels. As well, your hands and head should be the last thing up, so keep your arms above your head rather than dropping them down to your waist as the girl in the video.

Back