Basic Stretching

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Hello all!

So, I used to be athletic, blahblahblah, and I'm generally still in pretty decent shape. HOWEVER, I sit around for a good chunk of my day (since it's summer) and my body isn't having it..

My body used to be very flexible, but as I've gotten older (to the ripe age of 21), my body's been tightening up like woah. I really want flexibility back for a myriad of reasons, but I'm having trouble getting my body to do what I used to be able to.

SO, here's what I need. Know those basic stretches you do with your minis/tinys? That's what I need. Really, super-easy basic stuff just to remind my body/muscles that it CAN stretch. I've been trying every day, but it's super slow-going. Also, if you have any form tips and such, feel free to pass them along. I do best with visuals! Please and thank you!

Lie on your belly and bend your arms up beside your chest, palms on the ground. Now push up into an arch-like position. Also, put your leg on a chair etc and just lean forward as far as possible. This is great for legs and lower back :)

Try to reach your toes, or go as far as you can.

Also, sit in a straddle, wide as you can go and just reach forward to you feel some pain, that's what my old coach used to do with her minis.

Here are a few stretches I do with my youth rec team:

1. Sit in a straddle position. Lean forward as far as you can go.
2. Still in the straddle, reach to one side and try to touch your toes. Repeat for the other side.
3. Sit in a pike position (this is where both legs are straight in front of you). Lean forward as far as you can go; touch your toes if you can.
4. Sit in a butterfly position. Use your elbows to push your knees down while holding your toes. Lean forward as far as you can go.
5. Kneel on the floor. Put your arms behind your back and interlock your fingers. Now, lean forward so your nose touches the floor, and try and raise your arms as high as you can.
6. Splits.

Remember that the key to getting more flexible is to hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds, and to do them 2-3 times a day. The more often you do them and the longer you do them for, the faster you will get flexible.

Back