OT Beach Reads 2013

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 23, 2012
Hey everybody! I know there was a book thread last year/earlier this year but thought I'd start a new one so we can share some good recommendations for beach reading (or any type of lazy summer reading!).

I'll start. Slammed and Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover are fantastic. There's a third book in the series, This Girl, that just came out and I can't wait to get. I also just read and loved What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty.

I'm going book shopping soon and would love some ideas. Ready..... go!

Not necessarily beach reads, but just some really great books! I will definitely be posting in this thread at least a million times!

Along for the ride - Sarah Dessen (I recommend all of her books! They all have a summer theme and are very good!)
The Fault In Our Stars - John Green (Going to be made into a movie!)
Looking For Alaska - John Green
An Abundance of Katherine's - John Green
Perks Of Being A Wallflower - Steven Chbosky
Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher (Going to be made into a movie!)
Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Not necessarily beach reads, but just some really great books! I will definitely be posting in this thread at least a million times!

Along for the ride - Sarah Dessen (I recommend all of her books! They all have a summer theme and are very good!)
The Fault In Our Stars - John Green (Going to be made into a movie!)
Looking For Alaska - John Green
An Abundance of Katherine's - John Green
Perks Of Being A Wallflower - Steven Chbosky
Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher (Going to be made into a movie!)
Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I keep hearing about Thirteen Reasons Why. I have to go out and get it so I can see what the hype is about.

Has John Green always been a popular author? I keep seeing quotes/stuff about his books on tumblr and I haven't really heard about him until a few months ago.
I believe his books started to become more popular in the last couple years, especially this past year, which also happens to be when his crash course videos/youtube channel really got going. We watched them in AP World so that's how I learned of him, it's hard not to fall in love with him when you watch his videos! And I've heard his books are amazing too I just haven't had a chance to read them.
In other news, to avoid a double post, right now I'm reading One moment, One Morning by Sarah Rayner and it's really good, as is Vanishing Acts by Jodi Piccoult.

I also really enjoyed the Cirque Du Freak series by Daren Shan, and for any of y'all who saw the Vampires assistant movie, the books were soo much better (as pretty much always)! And for those of you when enjoy like coming of age type books, the Aquanet Diaries was very good (don't remember who wrote it though sorry!)

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Calling it now as the next book series to hype over. (Harry Potter, Twilight, The Hunger Games, then it will be Divergent...especially when the movie comes out next year)

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Calling it now as the next book series to hype over. (Harry Potter, Twilight, The Hunger Games, then it will be Divergent...especially when the movie comes out next year)

Well in that case I'll have to look into it! What's it about?

I've heard nothing but good things about the Divergent series from two friends who've read it. It's on my list to steal from one of them when she returns home!

And if you want a funny, quick, light-hearted read, I definitely recommend Bossypants by Tina Fey. Probably one of the funniest books I've read. I'm sad I read it a few months ago because it would be the perfect beach read!

Well in that case I'll have to look into it! What's it about?
"In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her."

Here's the few chapters to get you started:
Browse Inside Divergent by Veronica Roth

"In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her."

Here's the few chapters to get you started:
Browse Inside Divergent by Veronica Roth
You rock. Thanks!

Back