Best/easiest Way To Full Up?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
Looking for the best and easiest ways and tricks for performing full ups to the extended level for every position? I know every gym has tips for these and would love to hear how your gym makes them work. Also - how do you create consistency in full ups?

I know lots of people always say in full ups for flyers to look over their shoulders... but that never worked for my team. We always found that trying to pull to the corner (45 degrees from the front in the direction of your full up) made the twist a lot more controlled.
Coach also has this great method that if we don't keep our legs together we either run laps, do pushups or she ties our ankles together. ~_~ At least the method works.

I don't have my fliers look over their shoulder at all. I have them hollow out a bit and pull arms in front of them to create a fast spin by the bases. If the flier tries to pull shoulder at a diff time the bases are spinning, whole thing is off.

I don't have my fliers look over their shoulder at all. I have them hollow out a bit and pull arms in front of them to create a fast spin by the bases. If the flier tries to pull shoulder at a diff time the bases are spinning, whole thing is off.
Practicing this on a Frisbee is great. You can always tell when they aren't hollowed out because their feet point in a different direction than the chest.

The best way to make these consistent is to work your progressions. Make sure you guys have solid straight ups to every body position. Then start to work on 360 show n' goes w/ feet together. I've found that teaching this skill at all with their feet apart example. full up to prep or full up to extension... just hinders their progression and teaches bad habits. When they are ready to start working full-ups I start with the 360 show n go's once they have mastered this I move straight into a full up target. This way it is a minor adjustment for the side base to get a grip for an immediate one legged stunt. It also helps to teach flyers to keep legs together at all time.

I do teach to pull up through the shoulders and look to the right... I do not teach my flyers to use there hips in these just a nice hollow where they are looking for the front. The more confident the flyer gets with the skill the more they can ad to the spin. However at first everyone cranks and comes out of the cylinder... therefore I limit them when learning to just pulling up and looking to the right spotting for the front.

Anyone have any full up tips for the bases?
Same as before working the progressions. The biggest thing for the bases to grasp is legs... Legs Legs Legs! If you initiate with strong legs and absorb at the top with your legs and maintain locked out arms you can full up a truck! Make sure the bases are using their legs to get the stunt to the top. Your full-ups will not be consistent if they are trying to lift and spin the flyer... Lift first with a strong leg drive then initiate the spin once the flyer is "floating" to the top!

We have a phrase for one of the skills a main base has to master in order to perform any twisting load ins. We call it "bringing in your chicken wing." Stay with me for one moment. While you are reading this put your hands in the position the main base would be in for a 360. now take your front arm (the one that is turned) with you elbow facing out- aka your "chicken wing" and take your elbow and bring it into your ribs, quickly. We have found that it helps our mains get a little bit more momentum and helps them keep control over that foot and not let the flyer control where the spin occurs, which when first learning tends to be forward.

Hope that helps!!

Here's a great tip for a base that I got from a teammate - if you are the main base, after releasing your left hand, crossover your hand that is still on the toe and try to grab the heel as it comes around as fast as possible. This gives the flyer stability sooner and helps make the stop smoother for the flyer. Good luck with your full-ups! :D

Back