OT Big Fish, Little Fish

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 14, 2009
So, I suppose this COULD hypothetically go in Allstar, but I figured since in a roundabout way it doesn't EXACTLY have to do with cheer, I'd put it here.

Scenario:
Let's assume, hypothetically, that allstar cheer could put you in the running for a college scholarship for the sport. And that college coaches traveled to big nationals to check out possible athletes for the upcoming year. Would you rather:

A) Stay on a team with a so-so coach who isn't REALLY helping you improve. If the team itself is similar to last years, it's a good team and you'll probably win a lot. However, YOU personally will not improve much, if at all. You're not that fond of the coach, and you already have him as your school team's coach so you're not sure you want to have him twice. BUT if you win a lot and go to Nationals, there's a chance coaches from colleges will see you play..
B) There's another team with a coach you love who will DEFINITELY help you improve. You're not sure WHO is on this team this year, but there's a chance they're not as good as your previous team (which is team A above). Although you don't know how good they'll be for sure as tryouts aren't solidified and people aren't sure WHAT program they're going for yet. For all you know, they'll be BETTER than last year, yet they could stay the same.

Which would you choose? It's for my brother and it's volleyball lol. But pretend it's you and cheer. PERSONALLY- my mother and I are BEGGING him to take choice B. He always whines about the coach from A, but then he backtracks. My point is to get him to do what's best for HIM and HIS needs, but he's just really unsure. For the record, he got a notice from a coach who wants him to consider his college (Emmanuel College) after seeing him play with Team A at nationals. While it ain't Penn State, if he wants to play college ball he's gonna need scholarships..

I would go with B. He's already gone with A and obviously isn't too happy. The grass may be greener. Plus, I live near Emmanuel and it's a really nice school!

I think he needs to really ask himself whether he's more in love with the "win," the game, or if it's a means to and end. That's just a personal thing that no one but he can say.
If what he really loves about playing is that powerful feeling of being on top of the world, choice A. If he truly wants to do it for love of the game, the sport, and beyond college (yes, there's real life after college,) choice B. If it's a matter of paying for school, loans and grants aren't an option, and this is his only real shot at going to college...screw the warm fuzzy, because some of us are still paying off loans a decade later. Choice A. It might be a rough season, but if it solidifies his future, he needs to have some forethought about this.
Whatever will get him further in life, regardless of the short-term, is what he needs to go with. Think about it this way: A Worlds-ring-holding athlete can use that title for life. No one can take it away. Doesn't matter how large or small their role in the routine was (they could have been the whiney Susie faking jumps to tuck in the back row,) Susie still has a ring.

I think the athlete needs to be where the best fit is for them and the majority of their goals.

Sometimes the green grass on the other side is crabgrass or it takes more to water and keep green than you are willing to provide. Given your scenario I would have to believe that if the coach at school B would help me improve he/she could help everyone improve. The variable is do they want the same thing I do and are willing to put in the work to make it happen? If I make the jump to B what will I need to have happen in order to be seen by the college coaches? Am I willing to do that?

That being said I believe every athlete can improve because of or in spite of a coach. When an athlete is motivated to improve and focused on their goals no coach can hold them back. I have seen numerous athletes in many sports blatantly ignored by their coaches because they thought they would never be any good. They kept pushing themselves regardless. Now some of these same athletes are considered the star athletes in their programs with all the coaches fawning all over them about how good they are and how being in "their" program developed them. While it may of had a part - the heart of the athlete is shown when they continue to strive for excellence even when ignored by their coaches.

I think I would pick option B. I measure success by personal growth and how much I have improved instead of how many times I won.. or got an A on a test.. or whatever the case may be. Volleyball is a team sport, but in the end, you need to do what is best for YOU. I hope your brother makes the best choice for himself. Good luck!!

sidenote: my sister went to Emmanuel and absolutely LOVED it!! She finished, came home, and realized how in love she was with the school and Boston and ended up moving back for good. (and getting her master's there.) Though it is ridiculously expensive, so I'm sure he'll need all the scholarship money he can get!

Back