High School Big Program Changes, Looking For Advice!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 4, 2016
I posted this is in the coaches room and it didn't seem to get much traction, so I thought I'd try here!

I am one of 3 coaches at the high school I graduated from. In the 4 years I was there as a student, we have never competed with more than 10 girls. We had our first "open gym" where we let anyone interested come to try out some basic stunts, jumps and tumbling and to our surprise we had 34 show up! Including 8 boys!

We as coaches were completely blown away at the turn out and are nervous/excited at what this could mean for our program. I am looking for advice on how to effectively manage a team this large, so I want to hear from those who have done it before. Some advice on how to best work with boys would be great too! My boyfriend (who I met in college cheer but who also has past experience with all-star) has stepped up and volunteered to help teach the boys how to safely stunt (both co-ed and 4-man).

I know it's still possible that 2 weeks could pass and when tryouts come around we're back down to under 15 and all-girl (based on grades and level of commitment). But I'd still like to be prepared as possible in case this ends up being our new reality.

let me hear your best advice for managing a large team/coed team!

I posted this is in the coaches room and it didn't seem to get much traction, so I thought I'd try here!

I am one of 3 coaches at the high school I graduated from. In the 4 years I was there as a student, we have never competed with more than 10 girls. We had our first "open gym" where we let anyone interested come to try out some basic stunts, jumps and tumbling and to our surprise we had 34 show up! Including 8 boys!

We as coaches were completely blown away at the turn out and are nervous/excited at what this could mean for our program. I am looking for advice on how to effectively manage a team this large, so I want to hear from those who have done it before. Some advice on how to best work with boys would be great too! My boyfriend (who I met in college cheer but who also has past experience with all-star) has stepped up and volunteered to help teach the boys how to safely stunt (both co-ed and 4-man).

I know it's still possible that 2 weeks could pass and when tryouts come around we're back down to under 15 and all-girl (based on grades and level of commitment). But I'd still like to be prepared as possible in case this ends up being our new reality.

let me hear your best advice for managing a large team/coed team![/QUOTE

The first thing that comes to mind for me is that you didn't just suddenly sprout 24 additional varsity-level cheerleaders. What I mean by that is: Either A) your district has been redrawn, B) you've had some hidden talent in the building that's just decided to give your program a try or C) There's a whole lot of clueless in that bunch of 34.

None of these scenarios are bad things, they just present with different challenges from a coaching standpoint.

If it's A, you're biggest challenge will be introducing them to the ways and traditions of your program. They likely have game cheer experience, but will need to meld into your way of doing things. They will also need very well-defined roles. Maybe they have leadership potential, but will need a ton of support from you to be accepted into that role by veterans in your program.

If it's B, it's likely they are All Stars. They will have a ton of athletic ability and skill experience, but may know nothing about sideline cheer. Maybe create two game teams, one that does a lot of simple sideline material, and another obviously more advanced sideline team. You can bring them together to create one competition team. They may be able, and should be encouraged to if possible, to help your veterans with new skills that they haven't competed before.

If it's C, and your school allows for it, do not be afraid to create a JV/Varsity type setup.

One thing I would encourage you to do is cast a big net and take as many of these kids as you possibly can. This explosion in interest may be fleeting, and if you can provide a great "team" experience for them, they will come back and improve...even if it's not a great "trophy-winning" experience.

Back