All-Star Braces

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 29, 2013
Has anyone ever had traumatic situations involving cheerleading and braces? I have braces and would love to know since I have braces and I'm about to start all star cheerleading.

The worst I've heard of is someone getting all cut up inside their mouth after getting hit in the face while stunting. But that hurts a lot too

A girl at an old cheer club I use to coach at had her two front teeth practically knocked fully loose but because she had braces they actually didn't fall out of her mouth! So maybe it's a good thing?!

Second day I had my braces (worst day of pain) I went to practice and we were teaching a flyer how to do a full twist basket toss. She freaked out and her hip landed smack dab on my mouth. It hurt sooooo badly. The inside of my lips were all cut up and my gyms were throbbing.

But that was also only the second day I had them. From there on out really the only issue I had was the occasional cut on the lip, but (fun fact!) your mouth heals more quickly than any other part of your body, so it's only there for 2-3 days before you're all healed up. If you get hit, put braces wax on the brackets around the cut so it doesn't irritate it and it shouldn't bother you, even if you get hit again. You honestly should have no issues :)
C

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

If you're really worried about it, you can get a cheap mouth guard at Walmart to wear while learning stunts. Once you have choreography and things are hitting you shouldn't have any major problems at all

The Fierce Board App!

You can try the ones at Walmart but would also talk to the ortho about it. My kids got something for the ortho and was pretty comfortable and fit over the braces pretty well.

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Yes get a mouthpiece if you are worried about it. Played football in HS with braces the whole time. Wore a standard mouthpiece the whole time no problems. Talk to your orthodontist I am sure they can recommend one for sure.

The inside of my mouth used to always get caught on the hooks on my braces and if you are stunting (I experienced this whilst training for hurdles though, not cheer) and obviously your hands are preoccupied you can't fix it and its quite sore. And they cut up my top lip quite bad if I fell when hurdling (which was a lot! ;) )
That's the only problems I have had.
May or may not happen to you in a cheer situation!

The Fierce Board App! ||

In high school a girl I was basing a basket with had braces. When we caught the basket we smacked heads and her braces cut my chin. Still have the scar. I guess that was way worse for her cause she probably had skin in her braces lol

I'm a huge advocate of the mouth piece/gum shield while cheering!

When I was 13 or so I collided heads with another base while catching a basket. I thought I'd gotten out of it worse with a chipped tooth and a bump on the head until I saw the other girl. My mouth had collided with her chin and my braces caused her a three inch gash near her mouth/chin which needed to be stitched up. She still has the (pretty noticable) scar today and will probably have it, like staring her right in the face for the rest of her life. I feel bad :(

But 8/10 times a girl with braces is probably no more dangerous than any other cheerleader :)

Has anyone ever had traumatic situations involving cheerleading and braces? I have braces and would love to know since I have braces and I'm about to start all star cheerleading.

Good luck on your first season. Hope it is full of fun and good memories.

I have had my braces since 7th grade ( a senior now) when I started allstar cheer, I have always been a back spot with the exception of flying for 1 year. Back spots usually take a few for the stunt group, I have had alot of flyers butts end up sitting or slideing down my face. I get more braces injuries then anything else.

** The worst experience I had my flyer's butt hit my face and my bottom braces lodged into my gums, I litterally could not open my mouth because my bracket thing was embeded into the inside of my bottom lip. The gym owner had to seperate it right at practice,ew the blood, im not one to cry, but I cried that day and in front of everyone. I still remember that like yesterday and that was 4 seasons ago.

I've had major issues twice. The first time was when I was doing a whip pass and didn't put my hands down after the whip for my back handspring so I back handspringed on my face and got my braces stuck in the carpet of the floor.
And the next time I was doing a partner standing tuck with a girl that is probably six inches shorter than me and she pulled me down before I finished my set and I landed on my face and picked carpet fibers out of my braces.
Visual Aid:

Back