Bridges

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 28, 2011
I've searched the boards and can't find any threads on how to do bridges.

When I try to do bridges my legs can push fine but my arms can't push that well no matter what I try, I make sure my hands are by my ears but if I do that it really doesn't work. I mentioned to a person on my team who's a tumbling coach that I can't do bridges and that surely because of this I wouldn't be able to do handsprings etc because of this but they just said no you can still do that sort of tumbling which to me doesn't make much sense since a bridge is the basic part of the move. :S Have you got any tips on how to improve my bridges as I feel that it would help me to improve my tumbling and my should flexibility for stretches as well. :D

First of all, you are correct- having a bridge is essential for a good back handspring!

Secondly, It sounds like your shoulders are too tight currently for your arms to straighten. There are a few drills you can do to strengthen your arms and stretch your shoulders.

1. Find a wall and face away from it. Reach backwards and try to walk your hands down the wall until you are all the way on the ground in a bridge with your eyes facing the wall. You may not be able to get all the way down initially, and may need someone to help you find the wall initially.

2. It will be easier to get your arms next to your ears if you elevate your leg by putting them on a panel may and then trying to push up into a bridge. Hands should be on the floor, feet on the mat.

3. You can stretch out your sholders by finding a chair and kneeling in front of it. Stretch your arms out in front of you with your arms in tight and your forearms on the chair. Push your shoulders down towards the floor and keep your head down and in front of your arms below the chair.

I don't have great back flexibility but i've been working on that by putting my hands on a line and pushing up into a backbend. While in the back bend i rock back and forth trying to get my chest over the line. I've never been able to do a bridge but now I can!

Tamzin, cheerinthenews Im a gymnastics instructor and I have to completely disagree - you do not need a bridge for a back handspring and should never think about it that way! In a back handspring you want to sit and jump into a handstand and snap down - you never do a bridge!

Oh I always thought you needed a bridge as when I've seen people do back handspring it always looked like a bridge to me :)

Do you have any other tips on how to strengthen my arms/wrists etc. to improve my bridge?

:D

dmvf5l.jpg

This is the best example of a back handspring - first is the "sit" (more of a fall backwards), then the jump into a handstand and then a quick snap down. (You may think bridge, but when your hands hit your feet should be pulling off of the ground)

You def need a bridge. Shoulder strength and flexibility is essential. Though your feet will be parallel to te floor, your shoulders will be in a bridge.

Your arms pass through a bridge, though yes your feet will be parallel to the floor. I would never teach a handspring without a bridge. I doubt your gymnasts learned a handspring without a bridge.

Correct my gymnasts most definitely do ... but do all cheerleaders that have back handsprings, probably not.

Thankfully the usasf has created a leveling system, so now actually most DO have bridges and walkovers before they learn handsprings. Probably not the best forum to be dogging cheerleaders. The industry has come a long way and though there is aIways room for improvement, i think credit should be given where it is due.

this was me when i first started, i had no arm strength or back flexibility, you just gotta keep trying.
I think my biggest problem is my lower arms and wrists as my wrists are really small and I can never seem to find ways of strengthening them :/

How long did it take for you arm strength and back flexibility to improve?/ how often did you work on improving them? :)

dmvf5l.jpg

This is the best example of a back handspring - first is the "sit" (more of a fall backwards), then the jump into a handstand and then a quick snap down. (You may think bridge, but when your hands hit your feet should be pulling off of the ground)
Sorry my original post wasn't very clear, I meant like that the arms make a bridge position but that the legs wouldn't else the move would be slower? :)

I think my biggest problem is my lower arms and wrists as my wrists are really small and I can never seem to find ways of strengthening them :/

How long did it take for you arm strength and back flexibility to improve?/ how often did you work on improving them? :)
I first started working on the in September when I started competitive cheer, I couldn't push myself up. I started on a crash mat and got the coach or a friend to hold my back and support me while I go back into bridge. I did it every Sunday for about 15 minutes and about a month and a bit ago I got my bridge as I was just laid on the floor and pushed up. I'm still working on going back into a bridge though. Everyone is different so just take it stride by stride, if all else fails try ask people at cheer or other cheerleaders or even your coach :)

Back