Can Someone Explain Ioc

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

KDCheerMom

Cheer Parent
May 18, 2012
we might be looking into joining a team but we really don't know much about this. Can someone explain how this works? Thank you in advance for your help.

Ioc5 team? Same skills as any level 5 but u have to b 14 by Dec of 2016 to compete at Worlds and no max age. 12 girls and 12 boys. Max

IOC stands for international open coed. This is a division in worlds that is either level 5 or 6 (like the normal levels) except people on open teams can be older than 18 years old, but if you are younger than 18 you have to be a minimum of 14 to compete. There's also IOC 4 but this isn't a worlds division.

IOC stands for international open coed. This is a division in worlds that is either level 5 or 6 (like the normal levels) except people on open teams can be older than 18 years old, but if you are younger than 18 you have to be a minimum of 14 to compete. There's also IOC 4 but this isn't a worlds division.

There actually is no IOC4. It's just open 4.

Ioc5 team? Same skills as any level 5 but u have to b 14 by Dec of 2016 to compete at Worlds and no max age. 12 girls and 12 boys. Max

Ok now I'm confused. You have to be 14 in 2 years? So you can be 12 now? How is it different then? Just because of no top age?

Basically you can be on the team at 12 as long as you are 13 before December of this year. This way you are turning 14 during the International Competition season (December-December). I believe if you have 12 year olds you cannot actually "compete" until December though. That's how I understood it.

Basically you can be on the team at 12 as long as you are 13 before December of this year. This way you are turning 14 during the International Competition season (December-December). I believe if you have 12 year olds you cannot actually "compete" until December though. That's how I understood it.
I just looked at the usasf age grid and it does say 14 as of Dec 31. I think the European countries use 13 as of Dec 31.

But 2016 is still 2 years away. We're only in 2014. If you have to be 13 by this December, you'd have to be 14 be December of 2015, not 2016. I'm just confused where December 2016 came in - that's literally more than 2 years away.

I don't understand why these age grids have to be so confusing. Why would 2016 even be a factor for someone competing now?

But anyway - @KDCheerMom I think ioc teams often compete less, and sometimes cost less. Depends on the gym of course, but they're usually full of broke college kids who can't spend $200/month on tuition, buy a $500 uniform, or travel out of state every month. (Versus a senior 5 team, which is usually the most costly in the program.)

But 2016 is still 2 years away. We're only in 2014. If you have to be 13 by this December, you'd have to be 14 be December of 2015, not 2016. I'm just confused where December 2016 came in - that's literally more than 2 years away.

I don't understand why these age grids have to be so confusing. Why would 2016 even be a factor for someone competing now?

But anyway - @KDCheerMom I think ioc teams often compete less, and sometimes cost less. Depends on the gym of course, but they're usually full of broke college kids who can't spend $200/month on tuition, buy a $500 uniform, or travel out of state every month. (Versus a senior 5 team, which is usually the most costly in the program.)
I'm pretty sure it is 14 by December 2015, the year you're competing at Worlds.

It's year of competition. They must mean 2015

I'm pretty sure it is 14 by December 2015, the year you're competing at Worlds.
Yes. Just looked it up on the usasf site. You must be at least 14 the year the competition takes place.

*Fierce board, where parents come to live vicariously through their kids*

Back