Catching Double Downs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 10, 2011
Hey guys! So recently, I got a concussion while back spotting a double down. My entire time cheerleading, I've never been the best at catching cradles, but this is the first time I've ever been injured from a double down. I was out for five weeks, and I will be returning to
practice next week. I'm nervous to do double downs and basically I have to back spot them because my stunt is point. Do any back spots have any tips on how to better catch double downs? Thank you!!

The first time I backspotted a stretch double down I got my lip busted open... I feel your pain. I always tell my flyers to just *keep your arms in. I will catch you. It's a lot easier to catch a controlled double down when your flyer just wraps and stays tight. Move to the side a little and I 'stop' her on the way down with my left hand and wrap with the right. Left hand catches under her back and the right wraps around her back and catches Round the shoulders. That should keep you from getting whacked.

i hate backspotting doubles ( i hate kick doubles more) but my best advice is dont build it up in your head to be something more than it is, you are more than capable of doing this. your stunt group must be point for a reason (congrats on this) !

absorb with the flyer, so its not so much of a dead weight landing on you, after a few times with a flyer you know pretty much how/where they land and you can adjust your catch slightly to make it more comfortable

The first time I backspotted a stretch double down I got my lip busted open... I feel your pain. I always tell my flyers to just *keep your arms in. I will catch you. It's a lot easier to catch a controlled double down when your flyer just wraps and stays tight. Move to the side a little and I 'stop' her on the way down with my left hand and wrap with the right. Left hand catches under her back and the right wraps around her back and catches Round the shoulders. That should keep you from getting whacked.
OUCH.

Back