Anonymous

10th grade, never cheered, tumbled or gymnastics before. I can:

Cartwheel
Forward roll
Back Kickover
Pretty close to getting front walkover

Desired position: base

5”6, 150 pounds, work out regularly

My school’s JV team placed 2nd at states, so they seem pretty advanced. I seriously need to make the team, but everyone seems so talented, especially here 😭 and many have been doing cheer or related sports since childhood. Have I missed my window?? I have ~3 weeks til tryouts and I’ve been training on my own for this since April, all the skills I listed above I learned independently . so you see how important it is that I make it

I would contact the coach for requirements and directly ask them what they are looking for, especially with tumbling. Nobody here will be able to tell you for sure, because we don't know enough about that team. Is sideline separate from competition? Is tumbling required? The coach will help much more than we can!

Cartwheel
Forward roll
Back Kickover

My school’s JV team placed 2nd at states, so they seem pretty advanced. I seriously need to make the team, but everyone seems so talented, especially here 😭 and many have been doing cheer or related sports since childhood. Have I missed my window?? I have ~3 weeks til tryouts and I’ve been training on my own for this since April, all the skills I listed above I learned independently . so you see how important it is that I make it
I must agree with the other reply, talk to the coach/es of the JV squad and inquired about what they are looking for and the strengths you can bring to a squad. I must applaud 👏you on your tenacity and dedication, to gain those skills on your own speaks volumes… I will advise you to sign up at a gym, especially, a cheer or gymnastics gym that can teach you how to stunt( cheer gym) and tumbling (gymnastics gym) It may take you a longer a time to advance your tumbling quickly, particularly, if you want to have proper technique… But still take tumbling classes, but do not rush getting those skills… Is it possible to tryout this year for the experience and work on gaining the needed skills slowly, and seriously tryout next year, when you are ready and amazing?
If not,
Good luck!

I'm going to 3rd the recommendation to talk to the coaches. They should be able to tell you what they are looking for. Also, if you are able, look at the skills of last year's team. You should be able to see if they had full squad of a particular skill. Generally speaking, you want to improve on the previous year. That should be your benchmark.

Cartwheel
Forward roll
Back Kickover

Well for highschool it's good to have some tumbling then none at all. It really depends on the school and schools might take you if they have tumbling lessons. Try and ask the JV girls how much tumbling they have and where they started out

Different states have vastly different requirements. In Michigan you should be fine. In Kentucky, not so much.

Back