Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Should I switch gyms?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 23, 2019
I currently go to a small gym close to my house. Every comp this season we’ve placed in the bottom 2. Right now I’m debating wether I should go to the gym across town. They have a much bigger facility and better results at comp. I’ve even looked at their Instagram and I really like the vibe this gym gives off. I’m currently on a youth 2 team and my gym only goes up to level 3 for my age group. This gym has also been to summit and worlds witch is one of my dreams. My mom says I should stay and that we’ll get better but I’m not sure. I’m am currently working on getting my back handspring and I think that I would get it faster at that gym. I think I wanna go to a tumbling camp their so I could see if I like the atmosphere. I really need help on if I should stay or leave. Tryout are in a few months. Your help would greatly be appreciated. Xoxo :)

Realistically, it’s going to be largely up to your parents. I know that at CP’s gym, it is not atypical to be at the gym 5-6 days a week through competition season. If it’s a difference between a 10 minute drive each way and a 60 minute drive, that adds up fast. Your parents also need to look at the costs-if your small gym mostly travels locally and doesn’t do the big Nationals, that is much less expensive than a gym that is traveling widely to get the Summit and World’s bids.

I would suggest asking your parents if you could do some tumbling classes and privates, and see what the feel of the new gym is like. But be aware that there are also good reasons to stay at the small, close gym as long as you have a team that lets you develop skills. And if you are currently Y2 and still working on level 2 tumbling, you have a lot of years left in this sport and a lot of skills to develop.

Moving/changing gyms is only necessary if you have exceeded the limits of what the gym and its's staff can teach you. Are you the most talented athlete in the gym? Can the staff and coaches teach you more than a back handspring?

I would stick with the gym. Changing to a new program doesn't guarantee you will start placing better at competitions, nor does it guarantee you will get your back handspring any quicker. You may have a great experience at first, but every gym has its problems. If you have a great coaching staff and love your team, you should stick with your current program!

If you and your parents are not happy with the product you are receiving from your current gym, there is no reason that you shouldn't switch. It can be frustrating going to competitions and you do not receive the results that you want. My CP has been down that road. It never hurts to check out the other gym to learn more about their program. Maybe you can watch a practice? Remember - these gyms are businesses. There is nothing wrong with switching if you want to try something different. Good luck!

I will say here are some drawbacks to a bigger gym. At some you are a number a commodity. Also be aware if you are on a 2 at your gym now but just working on hand springs how your gym places could be part of the issue. Do not be surprised at big gym you are brought down to a level one until you have elite level 2 - especially if big gym across town is winning comps and as you said going to Wold's and Summit. There are always a few exceptions (amazing back spot or crazy strong AND flexible flyer who is needed for higher team). Larger gyms with bigger names really focus on having athletes ready to compete at the level they are placed at - they do not always spend time working skills during the season to build an athlete up to a a new level. Athletes are expected to take a variety of classes to move up to the next level at many larger gyms. Practice is working on team skills and building the team to be strong and yes some individual skills but that responsibility is also placed on the athletes and families. This is not to say whether it is right or wrong but just what has been my experience. Your parents need to look at costs, see where the new gym has been traveling (do they take all their teams together or do lower levels stay more local... lots of costs can add up with travel). In the end this should be a choice made by a parent who has taken the time to get really informed and educated about the other gym and had you try several classes there to make sure you enjoy the feel and the instructors. The parent should communicate and work with you... be aware big gyms can include big prices and if you are a youth athlete working on beginning level 2 skills a small gym with caring and committed coaches who know technique can still be a good choice - especially if it comes down to $$$$.
Also, as a mom, I caution you on forums ... you say you are a youth athlete (that means at the oldest you turned 13 after Aug 31) and you shared this here. Sadly everywhere there are some not so great people - who will take advantage of that information. I would really be concerned if my youth athlete was on this forum in any style other than a shared family account and then I would make sure she knows as a general rule to NEVER share her age. And if anyone private messages you make sure you let your parents know. Sorry I worry about kids (comes with being a mom and my job and volunteering outside of mom life).

I think it really depends on the gym. My CP cheers for a small gym that placed similarly to you last season. They had a level 2 junior and a level 4 junior and came in last every single comp. The issue was that they were competing against teams that were really strong level 2 and 4 and were clean and doing the most difficult things they could do at those levels. They just couldn't compare to those other gyms. Several of the girls left for the bigger gym across town. We stayed b/c we love our small gym, it feels like family. They made a lot of changes and are competing level 1 this year and they are doing amazing- first so far at every comp and headed to Summit. A lot of the girls have their BHS-BT but until they can do it clean every time, they will stay level 1.

I think taking a tumbling class at another gym would be a great option. It will give you and your parents a chance to see if this new gym would be a good fit without the full commitment.

Back