All-Star Cheer Hair Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 17, 2009
Greetings Fierceboard!

I approach you all humbly as a male coach who simply has ZERO clue about cheer hair and makeup. (Blasphemous) #thankGodIhavehelp

I was thinking that I'd start a thread in hopes that different athletes, parents, and other coaches would be ever so kind as to post pictures of different cheer hair styles they've used, links to tutorials, and/or advice about all things cheer hair related! I know the cheer curls thread exists and that has certainly been helpful, but I thought a new thread might be refreshing.

Thanks and pray for my ability to one day curl, make a hump/pouf (puff?), and purchase the right amount hairspray. :)

Might as well pass on a little tip: if your hair doesn't hold teasing very well and your poof doesn't work, try sprinkling 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch at the area you're teasing. Rub it in so you can't see the white anymore and then tease. I have the texturizing products made by Osis and Big Sexy Hair, but cornstarch is soooo much cheaper (you probably already have it in your kitchen) and works just as well. My only suggestion would be to do it over a sink before you get dressed as the powder is quite fine and can make a bit of a mess

I do my hair all up, with a poof and a curled ponytail. Here's what I do, I'll explain it the best I can. But it lasts all day and works like a charm.

What you need:
Bobby pins
Clips
A full bottle of hairspray
Comb
Brush
Bow

1. Make sure the girls hair is completely natural and brushed out. Even if her hair is naturally curly, it shouldn't be straightened or the curls won't hold.
2. Seperate a section for the poof. It should go from about the middle of the eyes and a little more than a quarter of the way back on the top of the head. Tie it off with a ponytail so it stays out of the way for now.
3. Brush the hair and pull the rest of it into a high ponytail, it should be close to where you sectioned off for the poof. So now you should have a high pony and the hair for the poof is not in the ponytail.
4. To make the poof: take it out of the ponytail, and now separate it into 2 sections, not left to right but front to back if that makes sense. Tie the front half off with a ponytail. Spray hairspray onto the back section near the scalp and about 2 inches off. Using a comb, tease the hair. Start the comb high up and brush downward. It should be really messy. Then, take the front section and comb it on top of the teased part so it covers it. You can move it front to back to make it bigger or smaller. Secure it with multiple clips and/or bobby pins. Use more than 2 or else it will fall out! Using a second ponytail, add the leftover hair from the poof into the ponytail.
5. Put the bow on the ponytail and bobby pin it down.
6. To curl the ponytail: using a curling iron (I prefer the conair Infiniti "wand") take a small section of the ponytail, hairspray the entire section, and hold the iron for 15-20 seconds. Repeat until the whole ponytail is curled.
7. Hairspray the whole head!! The girls hair should be rock hard. You should be good to go :)

I hope I explained this well, good luck!

555754_461637300526703_1425787390_n_zps6a523f63.jpg

Some teams (I've mostly seen it in HS but I think some allstar teams must too!) do buns. Some people don't like it b/c you can't really see the hair so it's just kind of a giant bow. But then again there's the plus of it not being in your face at all!
10844_100823366608100_4450200_n_zpsa9a7a154.jpg

Some do half up straight hair, it becomes a problem though if you have girls with REALLY long hair b/c it'll get in the way.
168941_184709194886183_3797658_n_zpsf6f7276e.jpg

A LOT of teams do curls, here it's all up with curls, which a lot of teams do but most do it with a poof. Some teams do half up with a poof and curls too! I like curls up with a poof the best, but that's just me.(my hair (dark dark brown) in this has super tight curls b/c my hair takes curls really well. Most people wouldn't do them that tightly lol I just didn't want to use other people's pics)
here's a tutorial that includes curls and a poof!

As a former cheer mom, I was so grateful our hair instructions were simply high straight ponytail and the bow. - no curls, no poof and if the girl's hair was above her shoulders than it was half up, rest down. Since my cp's hair was naturally straight, it was easy. Cheer curls would have driven me crazy and a poof?!?:eek:.

Here is what my mom and I use and do hope this helps
I have bi racial curly hair that is blown out straight and flat ironed before hand
Things needed
bobby pins
small rubber bands ( to hold poof)
Got 2 B Glued hair spray ( This is some serious holding power) or FREEZE IT in gold can
1/2 inch gold tip curling iron

section out hair for poof, back comb/tease it and spray with got 2 b glued hair spray, use elastic and pull up and out for height of bump, smooth with small bristle brush dampened with hair spray,
secure bump/poof with bobby pins

cheer curls section into 1/2 inch sections spray with got to b glued, twist curling iron in spiral direction making sure the hair looks spiraled down iron, spray more got 2 be glued (or freeze it) hold for at least a minute,
slowly release
and voila.. perfect cheer curls that will last for the day.
I recommend the gold tip irons for all hair types because you can ajust the tempature on it. from 200- 475'

gu7e8apa.jpg

Jaylens old gym..
High straight ponytail with poof.
(I would put in braids just on the sides because the rest of her hair would start to curl back up if she would sweat and look weird by the poof)
Not a fan of this particular one because it goes straight up and looks like a like a brick wall :eek: lol this when I was still learning on how to get it just right!

New gym it just has to a high pony...
I like this because its easy!!

I would prefer half up half down and a poof with curls
sunapuze.jpg
u5ady9et.jpg

Obviously that's not a cheer bow lol

I would rather sleep, eat, tweet… anything to avoid the stress of complicated hairstyles. Pony and pouf for open teams. Straight pony for littles. Shouldn't take more than five minutes. Can be done while eating a stack of pancakes. Parents love me. Kids get more sleep on comp weekends. Done.

Back