All-Star Cheer Hair...with Box Braids?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do you go all-out with cheer hair (big poof, teased etc.)

• YES, I love cheer hair!

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No, it's unnecessary...

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
Feb 5, 2017
Need to have my hair like this for comps (in a tight slick ponytail, no poof, can have curls if preferred).:
img_0862.jpg

Not really sure how to do it with box braids like this (mine are thinner tho):
0a1ddb78723e825f2588d796ba4218e7.jpg

Any cheerleaders with braids who can help me out?

I do not have braids, so take from that what you will, but I did have a teammate with them. How long are your braids, and are you able to pull them back into a ponytail? If it's shorter, can you do something similar with a half up pony?

Hers were about mid-back length so she would collect all of her braids into a pony. The pony was too thick for the bow elastic, so she would put it onto a ziptie to secure it in place and cut the tie at the end of the day.

I would also ask your coaches or do a "trial" at practice and see how you all feel about the style; make sure it works for them and is comfortable for you. If it doesn't work, hopefully they work with you. Some coaches are oblivious to the differences in hair types.

Picture from Google, but it basically looked like this (insert cheer bow instead of Chanel jewelry lol):
a-showy-box-braids-ponytail-simple-braids-for-kids.jpg

Because box braids are quite heavy and thick, you need to put the braids up into two or three ponytails.
So combine the front and side sections (ear to ear) into a single ponytail which will hold your bow. If you place another ponytail holder directly on top of the first, your ponytail will have added height which gives the affect of a poof.
Directly behind that ponytail, gather the rest of the box braids for a second ponytail and place it in a ponytail holder. Make sure the second ponytail is high and tight. The box braids from the first ponytail will cascade over the second ponytail and create the illusion of a single ponytail.

Um.

When I had those I just put them up in the extra thick hair tie and kept it moving?

What else could you do?

Is there a new super special cheer way to put up braids? Lol.

lol I read this multiple times and I was like "I don't understand the question "

Uh put them in a ponytail

My niece has been cheering and wearing braids for years..... buns, ponytails...it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One girl I know puts her hair up in a half pony, with her bow. She then does a second pony right underneath the top pony. You can tell close up, but not from the stands. She's does this with her braids and when she didn't have them as well. The other girl I know with braids just puts them all up in a high pony and attaches the bow.

I second using a a zip tie! I would pair it with a rubber band (not hair tie. rubber bands won't slip on the hair). You could also use a rat or pin a couple of braids in front into piles and then lay the rest of your braids from the front over that to get a poof. Are your braids marley hair that was braided into your hair? Or were they pre braided and you crocheted them in to corn rows?
If you want the really big teased out ponytail look you could install a drawstring into a half wig, bundle up all of your braids into a bun, cover that with a hair net or a pair of old tights, and then put the half wig of braids over that. The bun of your regular braids will hold up the half wig and make it bigger/give you more volume. Plus, if you used pre braided hair you could really easily make a half wig out of a dome cap with the braids you used on your head so it would match your hair exactly, and it would be pretty cheap to do!

If any of that sounds kind of like what you are looking for I can go into more detail, but I don't want to write a novel if its not what you're looking for ;) Just make sure when you pull all the hair back and pin everything in that the tension is distributed to multiple braids. If only a few braids are being pulled tight it can lead to premature hairloss (tension alopecia).

Last edited:
I know that sounds complicated but it really isn't! Especially if you use a half wig, once the half wig has the drawstring installed (which is super easy) all you have to do when getting ready for the comp is pull your hair back, wrap it in something like an old pair of tights so that your braids don't move and you can still pin into it, and then put the half wig on and pull the drawstring tight. Throw a couple of hair pins into that and you're good to go! It would probably take less time then the other girls spend teasing out their hair.

lol I read this multiple times and I was like "I don't understand the question "

Uh put them in a ponytail

My niece has been cheering and wearing braids for years..... buns, ponytails...it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol sorry if the question sounded stupid guys. I knew I needed to put it in a ponytail but I was just looking for some advice on giving it more volume, making it stay in place and anything other tips you might have :)

any black hair ties, work well with braids. Try focus putting hair up towards the front to give braids more volume. If you want a more slicker look. Micros work well too.

My cp wears box braids all the time for cheer. We never have a problem putting them up into a ponytail for cheer comps. Sometimes I have to make 2 ponytails and combine them into 1 other times they are thin enough to be gathered all at once. Either way they look great because they make your bow sit perfectly erect.

Back