All-Star Cheer Music & Copyright Laws...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MomOf2ThatsMe

Cheer Parent
Feb 18, 2011
All of this SOPA stuff got me thinking about how if this bill passes, how it would affect the internet. Then I started thinking about web sites such as Cheer Library, and how or if it would affect those sites. I am unsure if the music that all teams use is even technically *legal* since cheer music producers are technically making a financial gain off of the music artist's work. From what I have read this bill would open the door for the cheer music sites to be shut down, if there is a determined copyright infringement.

Thoughts or clarification :)

All of this SOPA stuff got me thinking about how if this bill passes, how it would affect the internet. Then I started thinking about web sites such as Cheer Library, and how or if it would affect those sites. I am unsure if the music that all teams use is even technically *legal* since cheer music producers are technically making a financial gain off of the music artist's work. From what I have read this bill would open the door for the cheer music sites to be shut down, if there is a determined copyright infringement.

Thoughts or clarification :)

I was actually hoping kingston would mention something about SOPA or how it could affect fierce board. As it stands now, I believe that sites that rely on user-generated content are generally safe as long as they comply with take down notices. If SOPA passes, the owner of that copyright (one of the music producers that post here for example) could basically get Cheer Library taken down because a user uploaded an IP-infringing piece of music. Same with Fierceboard. If someone posts a picture from Action Photo that they don't own the rights to (who hasn't screen grabbed a picture of themselves??), Action Photos could get Fierce Board taken down. At least that's my understanding of it.

I'm not sure of the legality of cheer music, I've wondered that myself. I think it's legal by some clause, but you're right that if a music producer has copyrighted material on his site that he wouldn't just be asked to take it down (with a standard DCMA notice), his whole site could be shut down.

SOPA is a TERRIBLE act. It effects one of the key pieces of the internet and how it is built. I am well aware piracy is an issue (as I am a software developer myself) but this is NOT the way to cure it. On something so technical politicians with little to no experience in internet use should not be allowed to sponsored this bill (I understand that is not how government works).

SOPA is basically how China censors their internet.

I was actually hoping kingston would mention something about SOPA or how it could affect fierce board. As it stands now, I believe that sites that rely on user-generated content are generally safe as long as they comply with take down notices. If SOPA passes, the owner of that copyright (one of the music producers that post here for example) could basically get Cheer Library taken down because a user uploaded an IP-infringing piece of music. Same with Fierceboard. If someone posts a picture from Action Photo that they don't own the rights to (who hasn't screen grabbed a picture of themselves??), Action Photos could get Fierce Board taken down. At least that's my understanding of it.

I'm not sure of the legality of cheer music, I've wondered that myself. I think it's legal by some clause, but you're right that if a music producer has copyrighted material on his site that he wouldn't just be asked to take it down (with a standard DCMA notice), his whole site could be shut down.

This bill is soooo horrid all of silicon valley (the people who make money from the internet) are against it. It is just awful. I debated protesting and taking down fierce for a day but i don't think this would be the correct audience.

Imagine if goole was taken down and you couldn't use google. Or Facebook. Or twitter.

Yeah I read that one earlier... now I can't get it to load :confused: From what I did read though is that because the music that is mixed for cheer is not "for personal use" and there is $$ being made from it, that websites that promote it could be shut down...

Here's a quote I found. I think it's okay that they're making money off of it because the original has been transformed.

Does the new work offer something above and beyond the original? Does it transform the original work in some way? If the work is altered significantly, used for another purpose, appeals to a different audience, it more likely to be considered fair use (NOLO, 2010, para. 6). Recent case law has increasingly focused on transformative use to make fair use determinations – for a discussion of this topic see Lultschik, 2010.

The amount and substantiality of the portion used:
  • The more you use, the less likely it will be considered fair use.
  • Does the amount you use exceed a reasonable expectation? If it approaches 50 percent of the entire work, it is not likely to be considered a fair use of the copyrighted work.
  • Is the particular portion used likely to adversely affect the author's economic gain? If you use the "heart" or "essence" of a work, it is less likely your use will be considered fair (NOLO, 2010, para. 13).

http://www.umuc.edu/library/libhow/copyright.cfm#fairuse

This bill is soooo horrid all of silicon valley (the people who make money from the internet) are against it. It is just awful. I debated protesting and taking down fierce for a day but i don't think this would be the correct audience.

Imagine if goole was taken down and you couldn't use google. Or Facebook. Or twitter.

Oh absolutely, I'm a software developer too. Our industry is one of the few that has weathered the recession, and this bill could basically decimate it.

I wasn't really expecting a black out of fierce board. But it might be nice to educate an audience outside of the tech community, which is basically just preaching to the choir (reddit for example).

I believe Wikipedia has shut down for a day in protest.

Yes. Wikipedia is shut down for a day. As a librarian, I have been sitting here smirking at these students that can't do their "research" because Wikipedia is gone....however I oppose censorship and everything else SOPA and PIPA would do....

But I do enjoy knowing people aren't using Wikipedia to perform "research" for 24 hours...

Latest posts

Back