College “cheer” On Netflix: It’s A Hit

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2017
SO pleased to report that the new “Cheer” documentary on Netflix is good. Like an all-around well-done show that can appeal to everyone who gives it a shot. I’ve been telling everyone to watch it because I’m convinced anyone can enjoy it. Sort of like the Marvel movies... it doesn’t matter if you follow the subject material; it’s an easy story to get engrossed with that is executed exceptionally well.

If you’re not aware: it follows the super stacked Navarro cheer team and its athletes on their way to Daytona (2019). They talk about everything: juggling AS cheer with college, comp strategy, weigh-ins, “cheerlebrities,” bad attitudes from otherwise gifted athletes, Varsity taking over everything they see, moving from a liberal state to a conservative one, time management, personal tragedies, Brad Habermel is in there somewhere... all of it.

Go watch it!

ETA: the very few negatives that people take away from this show are:

1. Gabi Butler’s parents (who appear to be a bit of a handful, but I’m not the parent of a crazy talented and successful kid so idk if their behavior is warranted or not);
2. Weigh-ins (people are decrying them, but I got the impression they were to monitor if a girl was gaining or losing too quickly);
3. “Tex-Mex food is a way better version of Mexican food” — a Navarro history teacher (who people are now calling on to resign because her misguided attempts to teach cheer transplants about Texas culture were a touch outdated and disrespectful).

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
I loved Last Chance U so I was really excited for this because it's Last Chance U with cheerleading.

Only little thing is when you follow cheer there's not the suspense factor of "DO THEY WIN?" that I had with Last Chance because well, I don't follow community college football but cheer is the sport I follow/grew up in.

But I do lie and tell my husband I "don't know if they win" because we watch it together and he is semi-invested.

I also explained to him why they're so good using by comparing it to: "Remember when you coached girls JV basketball and that entire team was full of elite AAU/all star kids? It's like that babe."

Other things he asked "Who is that lady?" (Referring to Monica)

Me: Ok so you know the head coach of the Patriots with like 5 rings? She is that.

We are not very far in but it has been good so far.

I loved Last Chance U so I was really excited for this because it's Last Chance U with cheerleading.

Only little thing is when you follow cheer there's not the suspense factor of "DO THEY WIN?" that I had with Last Chance because well, I don't follow community college football but cheer is the sport I follow/grew up in.

But I do lie and tell my husband I "don't know if they win" because we watch it together and he is semi-invested.

I also explained to him why they're so good using by comparing it to: "Remember when you coached girls JV basketball and that entire team was full of elite AAU/all star kids? It's like that babe."

Other things he asked "Who is that lady?" (Referring to Monica)

Me: Ok so you know the head coach of the Patriots with like 5 rings? She is that.

We are not very far in but it has been good so far.

I actually did not know if they won because I don’t really follow JC’s or NCA. I had to Google it because if they lost, I was going to stop watching and save myself the heartache since I was already completely invested in Jerri’s story. I need that kid mat-talking me through life.

Well I finished it and cried at least three times. Monica is my new hero.
I cried too. I was so proud of all those kids who felt their lives had literally been saved through cheer and it just made me remember how passionate I am about the sport.

Loved the whole thing. It was amazing to really see the hard side of cheer and I think a lot of younger athletes will benefit from seeing these role models struggle with the same things they do - having bad practices, struggling with their fitness levels, etc, but also seeing the hard work that has to go in to rep the skills over and over again so that when it comes down to that 2:15 you know you are going to hit.

Overall I think it's a great series. The one issue I have is how injuries are portrayed to be handled. I can acknowledge that editing can change facts but multiple statements have been released from the program about the vaping, adult content/conversations etc so I get the impression this was not a concern. Not one single post on any social media platform that I have seen has given mention of it. In fact the opposite is happening and coaches and industry professionals are almost glorifying it and that's disappointing to me.

Overall I think it's a great series. The one issue I have is how injuries are portrayed to be handled. I can acknowledge that editing can change facts but multiple statements have been released from the program about the vaping, adult content/conversations etc so I get the impression this was not a concern. Not one single post on any social media platform that I have seen has given mention of it. In fact the opposite is happening and coaches and industry professionals are almost glorifying it and that's disappointing to me.
Yea, that's the one negative that I have with it.

The glorifying and praising people for performing while hurt has concerned me for awhile as well.

You only get one body.

It's all fun and games til you're 35 with the knees of a 70 year old.

More thoughts:

1. It HAS been interesting to see what some of the kids are studying and have some discussion about academics. I am always curious (especially in my line of work) about what kids who attend a school specifically for cheer/other sports are interested in academically and what they want to pursue AFTER cheer because you don't see much about that. Do you want to be an accountant? Nurse? Trainer? Brand rep and just cheer til you are 30?

2. The weight part. Eeeep. My active cheer career years were mostly as a flyer so I get the general flyer = small thing. However, I am not a fan of making people who are ALREADY pretty small by flyer standards, feel like they need to be smaller with weigh ins. Because if you're coming into a program like that, you're going to be in shape and have good technique anyway. At that level 90 and 120 both fly the same.

I haven’t finished the series. But episode 2 or 3 when she makes the Stunter practice with his back pulled as payback was difficult to watch.
yes this is the episode i recently finished, i havent watched the whole series yet. I was not a fan of forcing athletes to practice full out on significant injuries. A pulled back is not a fluff injury, my husband gets it all the time from loading freight trucks, he can barely bend over after a pulled back muscle, i cant imagine the pain of having to throw a 100 pound girl in the air after throwing your back out.... thats the only thing that has irked me so far about the series.

the little classroom bit where they were teaching texas history made me laugh... having been through college myself, it be like that sometimes, some professors are far more crazy/out there/nuts, sit there and wonder how this person has a masters degree to teach.... then others...

I binged it yesterday when I couldn't sleep. There were definitely aspects that stuck out to me that would be considered negative, but it's definitely a real and raw depiction of the sport. I liked that it focused less on the drama between the team and more on the building and solidifying of the routine, but I feel like a lot of the comments I've seen---from outsiders of the sport, focused more on those negatives then on anything else.

I continue to love Jerry. He is amazing. I was sad to see Lexi lose it all, especially when she needed it the most. I loved Madison's heart and determination. I knew very little about Gabi outside of her being talented and the failed team adventures and I came away respecting her a lot, but cringing hardcore at her parents. I also walked away not really like La'Darius. I respect that his childhood was rough and he experienced abuse that no child should suffer, but seeing him with the younger kids just made me cringe.

I really liked that they had the community support even within their small town. I thought that was refreshing.

I noticed the older daughter of the Dunlap's (from Cheer Time Revolution) is cheering there this season and I wonder if they're going to do a season 2.

I binged it yesterday when I couldn't sleep. There were definitely aspects that stuck out to me that would be considered negative, but it's definitely a real and raw depiction of the sport. I liked that it focused less on the drama between the team and more on the building and solidifying of the routine, but I feel like a lot of the comments I've seen---from outsiders of the sport, focused more on those negatives then on anything else.

I continue to love Jerry. He is amazing. I was sad to see Lexi lose it all, especially when she needed it the most. I loved Madison's heart and determination. I knew very little about Gabi outside of her being talented and the failed team adventures and I came away respecting her a lot, but cringing hardcore at her parents. I also walked away not really like La'Darius. I respect that his childhood was rough and he experienced abuse that no child should suffer, but seeing him with the younger kids just made me cringe.

I really liked that they had the community support even within their small town. I thought that was refreshing.

I noticed the older daughter of the Dunlap's (from Cheer Time Revolution) is cheering there this season and I wonder if they're going to do a season 2.

Gabi’s parents are something else. At first I was like, I’m not a parent; IDK anything. And if I did have a super talented kid, I’m sure I’d want to be involved in their life and career as well.

But I’d do it to make sure they were making good decisions and not getting taken advantage of... not because I was trying to monetise every last cent from their skills. And it seems like they’re doing just that. All while making themselves intractable in her life and talking down to her like she’s a child, which only sends the message: “You can’t do any of this without our help, and you shouldn’t even dare to try because you’re the (20-something) kid and we’re the adults.” It just hamstrings/guilts her into doing whatever they want, which is hugely unfair since she’s literally the only one doing the work that anyone cares about. I’m sure her dad makes a few calls now and then, but it’s her who is flying all over the country to compete on multiple teams, juggling school, and committing herself to any appearances her dad can drum up. AND dealing with her snippy sisters who somehow feel she owes them even more than she’s already given. Everyone wants a piece of this kid and she just sits there and takes it because she thinks it’s normal for your family exploit her skills and then act like she owes them.

I used to think her life was pretty great: cheer at most lost elite teams on the planet, travel the world and model in your off time, and get paid to do what you love. Who wouldn’t choose that life? Now I just feel bad for her and want her to be okay.

I feel like she’s going to push back hard. Probably sooner rather than later. I think this doc will be the catalyst now that people are coming to her and saying, “Hey... this isn’t normal.” And when she does push back, it’s going to be rough on everyone. I really wouldn’t be surprised if she quits for a year because of all the BS coming from the people who are supposed to support her, not exploit her.

Maybe I’m taking out of turn, but it all really bothered me.

I feel for Gabi, granted i want to imagine her parents have given a lot up to move everywhere for her to cheer on elite teams, so im sure shes grateful for everything they have dropped to let her cheer all over the US. But shes in college, she shouldnt be living with mom and dad having them control her every move. Im sure she is smart and her parents dont shelter her to the point where she aint street smart. But if she isnt suffering in the long term from that, her siblings sure will. Just my two cents. Im curious to see where she ends up after navarro.

Back