High School Cheer Rules Scholar? Test Yourself With My Legality Questions.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2017
Because if you’re not spending the summer studying terms like “released inversion” an “1 1/4 rotation,” are you really living your best life?

Anyway, I’ve been poring over the rules trying to answer these questions for myself with my brand new NFHS app. However, cheer vernacular remains nebulous at best so I’m here to ask for your help.

Are these legal:

1. Can we do full around low-to-high tics? And if so, can we begin and end with different body positions? Example: stretch to scale.

1:14 mark

2. Does the new high-to-high rule allow us to go from different body positions as well? Example: stretch to arabesque.

:40 mark

3. Yay or nay: ball up 360 to stretch, sweep to stretch, a la Cheer Extreme.

1:17 mark

4. Yay or nay again: ball up to extension; ball up 360 to extension (not braced).

5. Could a flyer pop to a toe touch from an extension, then “land” back in an extension? Is this a variation of a high-to-high?

6. Are full ups and low/high-to-high full arounds allowed in double base stunts? Also, in double base tics, can we switch body positions? Example: stretch to bow. (A girl can dream.)

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Because if you’re not spending the summer studying terms like “released inversion” an “1 1/4 rotation,” are you really living your best life?

Anyway, I’ve been poring over the rules trying to answer these questions for myself with my brand new NFHS app. However, cheer vernacular remains nebulous at best so I’m here to ask for your help.

Are these legal:

1. Can we do full around low-to-high tics? And if so, can we begin and end with different body positions? Example: stretch to scale.

1:14 mark

2. Does the new high-to-high rule allow us to go from different body positions as well? Example: stretch to arabesque.

:40 mark

3. Yay or nay: ball up 360 to stretch, sweep to stretch, a la Cheer Extreme.

1:17 mark

4. Yay or nay again: ball up to extension; ball up 360 to extension (not braced).

5. Could a flyer pop to a toe touch from an extension, then “land” back in an extension? Is this a variation of a high-to-high?

6. Are full ups and low/high-to-high full arounds allowed in double base stunts? Also, in double base tics, can we switch body positions? Example: stretch to bow. (A girl can dream.)

Thanks so much.

1) legal, you can also low, full around high and switch body positions. For UCA, though, not much reason to go beyond stretch or arabesque.

2) legal, but only a 1/4 turn, so stretch to arabesque would be legal, but not arabesque facing right side of floor to arabesque facing left side of floor

3) illegal. this meets the definition of a toss and tosses must be caught in a cradle. The switch up is the only exception to this rule.

4) illegal: same rationale as above.

5) legal, but ridiculous hard, crazy dangerous, and risk would most likely outweigh any benefit on the scoresheet.

6A) stunts are legal or illegal regardless of number of bases with exception of braced flips which require at least 2 catchers and a spotter or 1 catcher and 2 spotters 6B) legal.

Last edited:
1) legal, you can also low, full around high and switch body positions. For UCA, though, not much reason to go beyond stretch or arabesque.

2) legal, but only a 1/4 turn, so stretch to arabesque would be legal, but not arabesque facing right side of floor to arabesque facing left side of floor

3) illegal. this meets the definition of a toss and tosses must be caught in a cradle. The switch up is the only exception to this rule.

5) legal, but ridiculous hard, crazy dangerous, and risk would most likely outweigh any benefit on the scoresheet.

6A) stunts are legal or illegal regardless of number of bases with exception of braced flips which require at least 2 catchers and a spotter or 1 catcher and 2 spotters 6B) legal.

Thank you so much. I feel like I can choreograph freely now.

Follow up question: is it legal if the ball-up comes from prep level and ends in an extension? What if it’s single braced?

Last edited:
Ball up 360 that start at or below prep level and end extended are legal afaik

No, sir

Just the opposite. If the skill starts below prep level causes it to meet the definition of a toss. All tosses must land in a cradle with at least three catchers

ETA: technically the prep release ball 360 would be legal, but then again, it seems like a lot of risk for little reward.

No, sir

Just the opposite. If the skill starts below prep level causes it to meet the definition of a toss. All tosses must land in a cradle with at least three catchers

But quick toss 360s are allowed? So from prep or the floor are fine but not from a load?

But quick toss 360s are allowed? So from prep or the floor are fine but not from a load?

Exactly

You can create a lot more height from a load than you can a quick toss. It also stream lines the rules and keeps them from having separate rules for “elevator” tosses and “basket tosses.”

In the interest of thoroughness, I have more follow ups if you don't mind taking a chunk out of your weekend to educate me!

1. Is the "sweep" portion (I don't know what else to call it) after the 360 legal? Here's the video again, 1:19 mark:

2. Here's another example of a sweep at the 1:20 mark. Legal?

3. Can we ball up to extended lib, either with/without the 360?

4. Multi-part question: in the video below, are the stunts selected (letters A- I) legal?

A. Top Gun, at the :30 mark (the stunts in the roll off; I can't even begin to describe them); also the :32 mark (the bump down into split stunt).

B. World Cup, at the 1:50 mark (braced front walkover load); also the 2:21 mark (split stunt up to full around arabesque... ICONIC).

C. Cheer Extreme, at the 2:39 mark ("plank" to extended stretch).

D. Cali, at the 3:32 mark (front walkover into load into full around?).

E. Top Gun, at the 3:32 mark ("handstand" stunt to extended stretch).

F. Cheer Athletics, at the 4:52 mark (leap into load).

G. Cheer Sport, at the 5:38 mark (extension down to load, push up into handstand inversion, pop to extended lib... but ours would have the flyer's hands on bases' shoulders).

H. Cheer Athletics, at the 6:36 mark (backward roll into handstand, pop to extension).

I. Cheer Extreme, at the 7:26 mark ("plank" into extended lib... I think this is the same one as the Cali one above but I'm not sure).

Thanks so much in advance. I'd say this is my last round of questions, but that's probably not true.

In the interest of thoroughness, I have more follow ups if you don't mind taking a chunk out of your weekend to educate me!

1. Is the "sweep" portion (I don't know what else to call it) after the 360 legal? Here's the video again, 1:19 mark:

2. Here's another example of a sweep at the 1:20 mark. Legal?

3. Can we ball up to extended lib, either with/without the 360?

4. Multi-part question: in the video below, are the stunts selected (letters A- I) legal?

A. Top Gun, at the :30 mark (the stunts in the roll off; I can't even begin to describe them); also the :32 mark (the bump down into split stunt).

B. World Cup, at the 1:50 mark (braced front walkover load); also the 2:21 mark (split stunt up to full around arabesque... ICONIC).

G. Cheer Sport, at the 5:38 mark (extension down to load, push up into handstand inversion, pop to extended lib... but ours would have the flyer's hands on bases' shoulders).

H. Cheer Athletics, at the 6:36 mark (backward roll into handstand, pop to extension).

I. Cheer Extreme, at the 7:26 mark ("plank" into extended lib... I think this is the same one as the Cali one above but I'm not sure).

Thanks so much in advance. I'd say this is my last round of questions, but that's probably not true.

1) all I see going on is a return to load in from an extended stunt. Legal

2) see above

3) not from a load in. Only from quick toss from the floor or prep level

4a) no one in this sequence meets the definition of a spotter, illegal

4b) braced roll to load in is legal (I think, this is the one of which I’m least certain in all of these questions), the split full around is legal.

4c-I) illegal

Exactly

You can create a lot more height from a load than you can a quick toss. It also stream lines the rules and keeps them from having separate rules for “elevator” tosses and “basket tosses.”

Makes sense. Glad we’ve been working prep released half arounds instead of from load lol I didn’t even think to check. Dumb on my part!

If you don’t mind, I have more follow ups!

1. What about the “sweep” portion after the 360?

2. Are the multiple low tics in this vid legal?
1) all I see going on is a return to load in from an extended stunt. Legal

2) see above

3) not from a load in. Only from quick toss from the floor or prep level

4a) no one in this sequence meets the definition of a spotter, illegal

4b) braced roll to load in is legal (I think, this is the one of which I’m least certain in all of these questions), the split full around is legal.

4c-I) illegal

Wow, you’re like a scholar of the US Constitution but way more interesting. You should quit your “real” job and do this full time.

If you don’t mind, I have more follow ups!

1. What about the “sweep” portion after the 360?

2. Are the multiple low tics in this vid legal?

Wow, you’re like a scholar of the US Constitution but way more interesting. You should quit your “real” job and do this full time.

I’ve watched both videos where you reference this mysterious “sweep” and I see nothing except a bunch of extended stunts returning to a load in position. Is this what you are calling a “sweep?” We would call this returning to a “squish,” “smoosh,” or “load.” I’ve never heard the term “sweep.” You will have to clarify for more information.

You can tick tock from prep level skill to prep level skill, or extended level skill to extended level skill to your heart’s content. You cannot do any of the tick tocks where they are holding in a load in position and release and catch to any other position.

It’s my job as a coach to know and understand the rules of the game. It’s No different than any other activity. Whether you pay for expensive choreography or do it yourself, the only person at fault when a team catches a legality deduction is the coach who allowed the skill to be on the floor.

Sorry for being unclear...the "sweep" is just a term I made up after she comes out of the 360, libs in the load position, and then "sweeps" out one leg for the other on the way to extended lib. Here's a second example I meant to post above at :23 secs (I just realized I posted the same thing twice):

But from your explanation I'm gathering it's not legal.

Anyway, if I'm following your logic re: the list I created earlier, it seems like stunt entries that start with anything other than a traditional "load" aren't legal. If that's the case, then I'm assuming these are stunts aren't legal as well:

Great Whites 2017, 1:35

Great Whites 2018, :41

Stingrays, 1:27 (the flat back to arabesque part, not the toss part)

That being said, what makes a backwards roll into a "plank" (where she's parallel to the floor, non-extended, ready to pop up to prep level) legal?

Lastly, I'm super confused on inverted stunts. In a handstand stunt, does it matter what degree she's inverted (90 degrees versus 45 or whatever)? This stunt in the vid below is legal for HS, right? (It'd be great if they clarified in the description, but that would be too easy.)

Sorry for being unclear...the "sweep" is just a term I made up after she comes out of the 360, libs in the load position, and then "sweeps" out one leg for the other on the way to extended lib. Here's a second example I meant to post above at :23 secs (I just realized I posted the same thing twice):

But from your explanation I'm gathering it's not legal.

Anyway, if I'm following your logic re: the list I created earlier, it seems like stunt entries that start with anything other than a traditional "load" aren't legal. If that's the case, then I'm assuming these are stunts aren't legal as well:

Great Whites 2017, 1:35

Great Whites 2018, :41

Stingrays, 1:27 (the flat back to arabesque part, not the toss part)

That being said, what makes a backwards roll into a "plank" (where she's parallel to the floor, non-extended, ready to pop up to prep level) legal?

Lastly, I'm super confused on inverted stunts. In a handstand stunt, does it matter what degree she's inverted (90 degrees versus 45 or whatever)? This stunt in the vid below is legal for HS, right? (It'd be great if they clarified in the description, but that would be too easy.)

The “sweep” as you describe it is a stretch to stretch. Would be legal in a tick tock, but not as shown in the video.

There are plenty of creative and inverted load ins that are legal for high school, the one consistent thing you posted above we’re inversions released to extended stunts. These must have a bracer in high school. Inversions released to prep are legal.

Great Whites 1:35 is legal except for the dismount, foldovers may pass through extended (and should), but must originate from prep.

Great Whites :41 is legal except for the inversion released to extended and the double down.

Sting rays 1:21 is legal

There is no difference in legality between a handstand and the tilted “plank” position.

The roll back you describe is only legal if at least one person maintains upper body contact with the top.

The “sweep” as you describe it is a stretch to stretch. Would be legal in a tick tock, but not as shown in the video.

There are plenty of creative and inverted load ins that are legal for high school, the one consistent thing you posted above we’re inversions released to extended stunts. These must have a bracer in high school. Inversions released to prep are legal.

Great Whites 1:35 is legal except for the dismount, foldovers may pass through extended (and should), but must originate from prep.

Great Whites :41 is legal except for the inversion released to extended and the double down.

Sting rays 1:21 is legal

There is no difference in legality between a handstand and the tilted “plank” position.

The roll back you describe is only legal if at least one person maintains upper body contact with the top.

Thanks. Good to know about the inversions. Does that mean the stunts I listed above that popped to extension would be legal if we landed in a prep first? Here they are again, for reference:

Also, could you explain why these are illegal:

Lastly, if ball ups aren't allowed from a load, can you explain why it worked for Bishop McCort last year? At 1:17:

Is there something else happening here I'm not seeing that makes it legal?

Thanks.

Back