Cheer Sister Struggles

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 15, 2018
I have two girls that will both cheer at the Youth level next season. One is a Sept baby and teh other is an Aug baby, so they are essentially 3 years apart. I am worried that they will argue and teh older one will boss her younger sister. Does anyone have any advice on teh best way to handle siblings on the same cheer team?

My girls were 3 years apart and were on the same team only once, a Junior 3 at ages 13 and 10. They really did not interact much together when at the gym; they each had their own friends and rmy older one rarely bossed around her sister. She knew that was the coach’s job.

If they have strong coaches it will be a positive experience. My two girls cheered together for a long time, they are three years apart. I truly believe it's one of the reasons they're such great friends and work together so well.

At one point the oldest even based the youngest. I got some great pictures.

Last edited:
My godchildren have been on same team at several points (same number of years apart.) They never argued. The older leans more toward older kids so they actually interact less at cheer events than at home. They also are in two different positions and never really in same stunt group.

Last edited:
My girls are 10 & 12 and on a Junior team together. They fight like cats and dogs about everything under the sun except when they are at the gym or comps. I think it's their dedication to the sport and when its cheer mode time they become supportive teammates. Hopefully you will have the same kind of experience with your girls. I must say also, being at the gym on the same days instead of split days is very nice! :D

My kids are nearly 4 years apart. They have always been close. When they were on different teams there were drawbacks - especially when one team was very successful and the other was not. They became teammates when my youngest was 12 and I honestly could not have written their story any better. They had some moments now and then, but overall they had incredible experiences as sisters gone teammates. I hope it works out the same for your kids!

Last edited:
At CP’s gym the prep team has two sets of sisters on it, one set is in our car pool and the other set the older sister is one of CP’s best friends so I know both sets pretty well. I’ve seen both sets have their sister bickering outside of practice but I’ve notice at practice none of the sisters really hang out with their sister, they have their own friends and at competition they acted like team mates. They’ve also split the two sets of sisters up so that the older sister is not basing the younger sister in each set.

Also in 8 seasons of coaching I've had a few sets of siblings at the high school level.

From a coaching standpoint, never an issue but I did have a few who argued off the mat a little (e.g. at camp, team events, etc.)

Nothing serious but sibling things.

Such as the time I said lights out at camp but continued to hear squabbling over "oh my god I bought those Sour Patch kids for me Courtney!" "No you did not these are mine."

I've had girls on the same team and on different teams and agree with what the others have said. Mine worked well as teammates and didn't really get in each others space at the gym, they had different friends etc. I think they did (and still do) get along better at the gym than at home. And as a parent there was an efficiency in having the same practice schedule, performance time etc.

Back