OT Cheerleading Games

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 28, 2009
I feel like this was mentioned a few times, but I'm looking for suggestions for games to play at practice. We usually play something at the end of practice, but I'm getting so bored with the same one or two things. I want them to either be cheer related, team bonding type games, or something that helps them condition in some way (without them knowing it). Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

If you have a tumble track you can play cheer limbo. All you need is a pool noodle. Cheer limbo is the opposite of regular limbo in that instead of the noodle starting high and moving lower with people going under it, the noodle starts at the ground moving higher with people jumping over it. The only rules are you have to go over feet first (no flipping or diving) and you can't touch the noodle or your out.

Another game my campers love, but is complicated, is chicken in a hen house (sometimes called lover's leap). This game is a flier and base game with a list of positions. The kids will need to get in pairs and decide who is going to be the flier and who is going to be the base. The base needs to be big enough that he/she can completely pick the flier up. They will hold hands and run in a circle (for a challenge have to separate circles, one flier and one base). The caller (You) will then call out a position:
  • Lover's Leap-The base holds the flier in a cradle position
  • Bookshelf-The flier gets on the base piggy back style and then holds her arm out to the side
  • Miss America-The flier gets down on her knees and waves, and the base makes her crown with her hands
  • Noodle in the Soup(Also refered to as snake in a hole) The base makes a circle with her arms and the flier stands inside with her arms clapped above her head and turns around
  • Chicken in a Henhouse-The base kneels, and the flier kneels on her back
  • Doghouse-The base puts her hands and feet on the ground (bear crawl style) and the flier lays in between them
  • Fireman(do NOT use this with people under 10, someone will get hurt)-The base picks the flier up and holds her over her shoulder
  • Backpack-The flier and base stand back to back and link arms. The base bends over and picks the flier up on her back.
  • Bunkbeds-The base lays down face up on the ground. The flier will put her hands on the bases ankles and the base will hole her ankles up so the flier is in a push up position
The last groups to get in the position is out. When you are down to two groups have them go to opposite corners. The will spin in a circle while you count down from 10. Then you will call a position and the must run to the middle to their partner and get in the position. The first ones up win!

To add on to @INeverStopCheering ....
-Cockroach: get down on your back and wave your arms and legs around like a dead cockroach
-Sailor: stand straight up with your hand in a blade to your forehead, and you can't move unless the caller says ''Addies'' (sp?)
-Mermaid: lay on your side with your hand on your hip and the other one under your head (like a mermaid pose)
-Man overboard: one partner lays face down on the ground and the other partner puts one foot on their back and has their hand to their head in a blade
-Two (or however many you want to call) men rowing- however many people you call must sit down one in front of the other and ''row'' (can be the same for eating- two men eating get two people sit down and 'eat' on the floor)

hahahhaha i love all these games!
my team used to play this one where we got into groups of 6 and the object of the game is 2 be the first group to build a mini pyramid ( 3 at the bottom, 2 in the middle, 1 on top). Everyone walks around in a mini circle with there group and when the music stops every group gets into there pyramid whoever is the last group to get up is out. You keep playing until there is one winning group. Sometimes are coaches also gave the winners some type of prize. its rly fun!
o and if you have a small team you could just play with 3 cheerleaders per group.
anyways especially as a special game for working hard at practice or for team bonding this game worked great for us!
hope this helped! :)

Chicken in the Henhouse is the ONE game we play. The kids love it-they will try and play it after practice with only three kids they love it so much. I just want to give them something (anythingggg) else to mix it up a little. Thanks for the ideas, and please keep them coming!

Ships and sailors!
Everyone shuffles around and can't stick to other people. There's a caller and when they call something everyone has to find other people and do whatever the person says.
Ships- walk left
Sailors- walk right
Hit the deck- drop into a push up and hold until the person says you can come up
Captain's coming- hit a salute and don't get out of it until they say at ease. This one is kinda like Simon Says. You try to get them to come out of it before you say they can.
Man overboard- one person gets down on a knee and one other person puts their foot up on the person's knee
3 men rowing- 3 people sit on the ground with their legs apart, one in front of the other, pretending to row a boat
4 men eating- 4 people form a circle and face each other and pretend to eat
5 men on watch- 5 people face each other in a circle and put their index fingers together above their heads
And I think there's a pirate attack too. Where whoever's it chases people for like 30 seconds and tries to tag them and get them out.
If you fail to do anything the person says or can't find a group, you're out.

cheer memorys a good one. you have everyone get in a circle. One girl does a toe touch, the next does the toe touch plus their own skill etc. Towards the end it gets very hard and is tiring.

-i have no idea what its called but you need about 16 ppl to do it. 1 flyer (preferably a tiny one) have all the girls except the flyer sit in a circle in a pike position. have all their feet touching and put the flyer in the middle. she falls back and everyone catches her and kinda throw her around... it teaches the flyer to be tight and the bases to catch
-the chain game- mostly for competitions in back rooms... you get your squad or a bunch of people and one puts their arms around a random person's leg or arm whatever's less obvious to them. and put a circle around it with your arms. the squad builds on around that chain and sees how many people they can get before the person their chained to notices them. it sounds ridiculous but it's actually really fun.
-ninja!-pretty well known
-at one of our practices we split the team into 2 and competed against each other. made our own routines. whoever won didn't have to condition and went home early... of course one took it seriously and the other made it a joke.
-peel the banana-well known again
-i dont know the name- you count down by twos as fast as you can and shake each limb ex: shaking your right hand saying 12345678 left hand saying 12345678 (so on with feet), shake right hand 123456, shake left hand 123456 (so on with feet), shake right hand 1234... i think you get the point:) after you count and shake 1-2,1-2... you just kinda huddle around in a big group hug type thing and hug each other and yell and stuff like you just won worlds or something. it sounds crazy but its actually pretty amusing
-honey i love you- similar to sally walker but not annoying. sit in a circle, someone is "it" and goes around to people saying "honey i love you won't you won't you give me a smile?" in some way that's gonna make the other person smile or laugh. the other person must say "honey i love you but i just can't smile." if they do it without smiling they can continue to sit and not be "it" but if they do smile they are "it" and must go around doing the same until someone else smiles.... you can add on to the it person's line to make them laugh or give it an accent or something, but it still needs to mean the same thing as before ("honey i love you won't you give me a smile?)
-frogger-well known
-baby shark-well known
-obstacle course- it's a lot more fun when you have cheer mats, BHS circle mat things, &tumble tracks.
-doesn't have a name- WORST ONE, DON'T SHOW YOUR COACH!- our coach did a regular practice and if you messed up on a routine you got a mark on your hand/arm. at the end of practice if you had X amount of marks you would do a certain set of conditioning, if you had Y amount you would do another set, so on and so on. the more marks you got the more conditioning you got.

hope this helps! if you have any questions just ask or message me!!

Log roll tag (or at least that's what my team calls it).
Everyone lies down in pairs of two spread out all over the floor. One person is "it" and the other person is being chased. It's just like regular tag, but the person who is being chased can lay down next to someone in a pair of two and the person on the other end has to get up and is now the person being chased.
It's kind of weird to explain... haha. But my entire cheer team loves it... and we're all high schoolers.:D

To add on to @INeverStopCheering ....
-Cockroach: get down on your back and wave your arms and legs around like a dead cockroach
-Sailor: stand straight up with your hand in a blade to your forehead, and you can't move unless the caller says ''Addies'' (sp?)
-Mermaid: lay on your side with your hand on your hip and the other one under your head (like a mermaid pose)
-Man overboard: one partner lays face down on the ground and the other partner puts one foot on their back and has their hand to their head in a blade
-Two (or however many you want to call) men rowing- however many people you call must sit down one in front of the other and ''row'' (can be the same for eating- two men eating get two people sit down and 'eat' on the floor)

I though my gym was the only one who knew cockroach!

Back