All-Star Cheersport 2020

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Last thoughts: F5 is really not operating on the same level as SE and Orange, unfortunately. The strategy looks a little all over the place. For example, I can't tell if the tumbling is there or not because of how it's organized. Also, I feel like they had a way bigger stunt planned for that VERY pregnant pause in the music instead of the low/high tick, namely because they already superseded it with the more difficult low/high stretch right at the beginning. So unless something bigger is going in there eventually, I'm not sure why they chose to highlight it so significantly.

And lastly, there is a giant portion of the pyramid where nothing is happening. Which, as the coach of a SL team, I'm very sensitive to. I hate to have absolutely NOBODY in the air during a pyramid, especially if you've got 7+ stunt groups to work with. Get a girl in a half and have her shimmy while the stunts are building if you have to. Just do something.

I know F5 has won Worlds a handful of times, albeit not super recently. I'd be very interested to know if they had coaching turnover since then. It appears to me that this team suffers from the same fatal flaw that so many other teams do: talented girls, inefficient choreo (coaching).
They've won Worlds much more recently than either SE or Orange. And they have the same head coaches thay have had since the team was formed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They've won Worlds much more recently than either SE or Orange. And they have the same head coaches thay have had since the team was formed.

Really? I thought Orange was 2016? It’s also possible I’m thinking of Peach since I get them confused. Have to recheck myself.

SE 2013, Orange 2014, and F5 2016.

BUT I’m glad you brought that up because I was going to say in my initial post that historically speaking, F5 does have a better chance than Orange at winning if you go by wins. Admittedly, past wins don’t mean anything when teams step on the mat, but I think it’s interesting to take those things onto consideration and maybe view things from a different angle.

Don't forget though, F5 literally only won because they competed before the rain and "matgate" in 2016. They were not close to being as difficult that year either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Did they have the same panel both days? I was surprised too. When CU edited what mistakes Orange had, I really though they were gonna take it.

P.S. I did say previously that my ‘predictions were spot on’ blah blah. That was before I saw the tweet that they reviewed Orange’s routine.

Did you watch the video? orange had two stunts that didn't even go. No way they should have won.

Don't forget though, F5 literally only won because they competed before the rain and "matgate" in 2016. They were not close to being as difficult that year either.

It didn't rain, it was condensation from the cooler evening air, and the mat was wet for F5 as well. There were 10 LAG and 10 Large Coed and F5 was right in the middle. Teams that went before F5 were slipping as well. F5 literally only won because they hit and none of the other 9 LAG teams did. The dampness was an issue for everybody, but the final teams were upset because they competed so late at night. The competition didn't end until well past 11 PM .

It didn't rain, it was condensation from the cooler evening air, and the mat was wet for F5 as well. There were 10 LAG and 10 Large Coed and F5 was right in the middle. Teams that went before F5 were slipping as well. F5 literally only won because they hit and none of the other 9 LAG teams did. The dampness was an issue for everybody, but the final teams were upset because they competed so late at night. The competition didn't end until well past 11 PM .

Seriously one of my favorite cheer memories. I mean, I know it was a mess but watching that... Ohhhhhhh lord. It was wild and it was amazing. I can't remember even being so into my computer screen ever.

That was a wild night here on the fierceboard. Only 2nd to the night the USASF dropped all the new rules taking out standing doubles and double doubles. I thought the board was going to implode that night.

That was a wild night here on the fierceboard. Only 2nd to the night the USASF dropped all the new rules taking out standing doubles and double doubles. I thought the board was going to implode that night.

Remember how they initially took out all doubles and standing fulls and then "settled" on standing doubles and double doubles. That indeed was wild.

Remember how they initially took out all doubles and standing fulls and then "settled" on standing doubles and double doubles. That indeed was wild.

That’s right. I had forgotten about that. What a crazy time.

Oh #matgate.

I remember all the owners talking to Varsity reps and arguing over whether or not they got a do-over. Knowing that there was no good solution because either way, someone was going to be mad. If you managed to hit on the wet mat you definitely were not campaigning for a do-over but others were not as lucky.

Other thing that was crazy: Those World Champ performances that were basically winners re-performing for the ESPN cameras. At what I'm pretty sure was after midnight.

Didn't USASF give money to the aging out athletes on the teams affected or something? As reparations for their season end being ruined?

yep. Orange has learned very well that they dont need to do anything over the top in order to win, execution almost always tops show factor. But large senior teams have always been able to figure out how to do both, which is why large is so hard to predict and win back to back.
i struggle with SE though some years im obsessed with their routines, and others im bored/have seen it before... Ive never been bored by a WCSS or panther routine. There is something choreography wise that those two teams do right every single year.

I just finished watching everyone’s most recent performances and I think I have to give it to SE this year (assuming they can HIT BOTH DAYS). Here’s why:

1. SE doesn’t really offer much in terms of stunt creativity, but the stunts they do offer are clean and straightforward which is also valuable. I do wish they had the inversions that Peach and Panthers do. That said, I understand their strategy: since their choreo would've won last year were if not for the bobble, there's no impetus to change it really. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hopefully it works for them again this year.

2. Orange has a great elite section, but I’m not sure if it’s enough to beat SE. Especially when you consider how much SE attacks their routine. By comparison, Orange looks sluggish at times.

3. If F5 can toss in some last-minute upgrades to the elites and the pyramid, they could have a shot. They’ve got very capable athletes. Their high/high stretches are stronger than SE's and I like the use of the floor in the tumbling section. They just need to round everything out.

4. Panthers’ strength is their tumbling. Obviously no one is beating them at that. The best anyone can hope for is to kinda sorta break even with them. As for stunting, Panthers offers the creativity that SE shies away from, but I think it comes at the cost of looking a little unpolished. Every flyer is kind of doing her own interpretation of the choreo precisely because it’s so novel, which might work against them. That said, those twelve girls in the air look VERY impressive.

5. I love a Stars routine, but this one isn’t doing it for me. The elite section -- specifically the"statue of liberty" part -- looks sluggish. It’s not the fault of the athletes; it’s just not very dynamic. It's not a standout this year.

So we’ll see how things shake down at NCA. But I really do feel that SE can do it all the way to the end. Panthers and Peach will be breathing down their necks, but that's nothing new. They just need to keep their heads together on that second day.

Oh #matgate.

I remember all the owners talking to Varsity reps and arguing over whether or not they got a do-over. Knowing that there was no good solution because either way, someone was going to be mad. If you managed to hit on the wet mat you definitely were not campaigning for a do-over but others were not as lucky.

Other thing that was crazy: Those World Champ performances that were basically winners re-performing for the ESPN cameras. At what I'm pretty sure was after midnight.

Didn't USASF give money to the aging out athletes on the teams affected or something? As reparations for their season end being ruined?
There was some kind of refund from Varsity to all of the athletes and a lot of chatter afterwards about whether the gyms were keeping the money or actually giving to the athletes. I believe the compensation was for the late hour of the competition. Seriously athletes were being fitted for rings until 1:30 AM.

Edited to add: Varsity was calling it a "scholarship"

Last edited:

Ok [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]however you want to remember it!

Back