Climate Strike 2019

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 21, 2015
Click For Full Article

High school students around the world took to the streets for a global #ClimateStrike to protest the inaction of political leaders to address what they see as the biggest threat to their lives. These students have lived through extreme weather conditions, from heat-waves, wildfires, floods and excessive cold snaps just in the last few years. By the time they are old enough to affect policy, they say it will be too late.

According to 350.org, an organization believing in a safe climate and better future, over one million students attended a strike today. Seventy percent of Americans now accept that climate change is happening, outnumbering those who don’t by a 5 to 1 ratio, according to a new survey by the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication.

Greta Thunberg is a Swedish political activist seeking to stop global warming and halt climate change. She has been protesting outside her parliament every Friday since August 2018. This year, three Norwegian lawmakers nominated her a Nobel prize. The fifteen-year-old has been credited as the inspiration for the global student strike, a movement she says was inspired by the Parkland students who organized the March for Our Lives aimed at addressing gun violence in schools across America.

"Denial is not a policy"

Students in 100+ countries are protesting for action on climate change, inspired by #ClimateStrike protests started by teen activist Greta Thunberg.

1f30d.png
Cape Town, South Africa
1f30e.png
Ottawa, Canada
1f30f.png
New Delhi, India
1f30e.png
Suchitoto, El Salvador pic.twitter.com/3UBhLdpa3D

— AJ+ (@ajplus) March 15, 2019

#FridaysForFuture#ClimateStrike
The new generation is more woke than you think… This is a photo of my city, Parma, we were so many… I'm so proud I was part of this pic.twitter.com/Mt0DSKxJLv

— I ᴀᴍ: мιяιαмα (@Miriama03_Stay) March 15, 2019

Like oceans, WE RISE #ClimateStrike <33 pic.twitter.com/fmNWYQ83hM

— laura borealis
1f30c.png
(@happpylaura) March 15, 2019

There’s an estimated 20,000 schoolkids including myself at the #ClimateStrike today in London. These are absolutely inspiring scenes with 100’s from each school across the city. Young people are political – we’re taking a stand and we’re not stopping anytime soon. pic.twitter.com/ejjB5titGL

— Hasan Patel
1f339.png
(@CorbynistaTeen) March 15, 2019

There are SO many students surrounding NYC City Hall this afternoon, that they have LOCKED US OUT because we have exceeded permit capacity! We will rally outside the gates! THE YOUTH WILL NOT BE STOPPED! @EricHolthaus @GretaThunberg #ClimateStrike pic.twitter.com/lyg7T2App3

— Alexandria Villasenor (@AlexandriaV2005) March 15, 2019

How does this relate to cheerleading? Strictly speaking, it doesn’t. But if you are one of the 70% who believes climate scientists, it’s going to affect the future of our readers. So we’ll be talking about big issues that affect teens simply because it matters.

Back