Coaching Age?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 16, 2012
I am a freshman in high school, and on the school varsity cheer team. But i also really am in need of a job, I was wondering if you can co-coach like a ymca rec team at my age? I was hopping to have it as a job since a girl my age is a gymnastics coach at the local Y. Thank you!

I'm 16 and have been wondering this same thing for about a year now. Didn't really ever occur to me to post it on here... lol!

If I were you I'd contact your local rec league before the start of next season and see if they need any teen coaches. It's a bit late to do it this year as the season has already started. By coaching Rec you'll gain enough experience to put together a resume and apply for a paid coaching position. Also contact the Y that your friend is at and see if they are even hiring coaches or if you can help teach a cheer specific tumbling class.

Keep in mind Varsity Cheer gets tough come comp season and coaching is a job you can't flake out on or miss because you are practicing for nationals. Money sounds good right now but being able to get good grades is more important in the long run.

I coached last year when I decided to take a break from cheer & I was 16. It was volunteer work, so no pay check. It was really time consuming like she said above. So make sure you're committed before you begin and make sure you're age eligible! Most places make you be 18.

If I were you I'd contact your local rec league before the start of next season and see if they need any teen coaches. It's a bit late to do it this year as the season has already started. By coaching Rec you'll gain enough experience to put together a resume and apply for a paid coaching position. Also contact the Y that your friend is at and see if they are even hiring coaches or if you can help teach a cheer specific tumbling class.

Keep in mind Varsity Cheer gets tough come comp season and coaching is a job you can't flake out on or miss because you are practicing for nationals. Money sounds good right now but being able to get good grades is more important in the long run.

I coached last year when I decided to take a break from cheer & I was 16. It was volunteer work, so no pay check. It was really time consuming like she said above. So make sure you're committed before you begin and make sure you're age eligible! Most places make you be 18.

Thank you! We only maybe get to regionals. Only once in like the last 10 years have we made state, aha but I will take both your advice!

I'm 17/almost 18 and I'm a junior coach for the local developmental rec league (Like pop warner but everyone gets to try every position, you play against teams in your own league, and you don't compete). There's girls that I coach with that are 15. I was given the opportunity through my neighbor who's daughter is cheering as she knew they were looking for coaches. Always ask the league what their minimum age and requirements are!

I started coaching my cousin and her friends in my back yard when I was 14 to help them get ready for tryouts. That turned in to me coaching their Jr high team while I was a junior and then the JV team the year I graduated. 19 years later I'm still coaching. I think starting young is the best way to go because it takes many many years to gain the experience you need to be truly successful.

Start by helping friends, cousins, neighbors at their homes. When even those "helpless" kids start making the team, parents will blow up your phone wanting you to help their kid too.

If you want to get paid, go to your local gym, YMCA, rec league--whatever is available and apply OR set up "house call" privates for a fee. Private lessons will make you some BANK if you do a good job. Those are even better because you set your own fees and hours.

Our local pop-warner has Junior Advisors to help the coaches with full understanding that their high school team has to take priority in a conflict. IMHO I would be careful going it on your own yet because of liability of someone were to get hurt. Some experience first could help.

Our local pop-warner has Junior Advisors to help the coaches with full understanding that their high school team has to take priority in a conflict. IMHO I would be careful going it on your own yet because of liability of someone were to get hurt. Some experience first could help.
thank you! I'm at the point where our high school team is making my dislike cheer, so thats where i got the idea from to coach instead err, co-coach or whats needed

I coached our local rec team my 9th, 11th and 12th grade years. Generally the Varsity team coaches them but the lady in charge asked me to when I was a freshman (JV). And me and my sisters were the head coaches this last year (senior year). We didn't get paid but they did "pay" us with some cool sweatshirts and other apparel!

In our town you can coach, jr coach at any age but a parent 21 or over is the one ultimately inchagre for insurance purposes and to control things should the coaches need help. However its all volunteer work we do not get paid.

Back