Coed Stunting For The First Time?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 28, 2010
I'm going to start taking coed stunt lessons at my gym, and I've flown before (like 3 years ago). But do any of you have some tips? I know coed is way different than group stunting! :_

I think the best piece of advice I can give you is to keep your butt tucked under. It's almost like you're thrusting your pelvis out (not quite). You have to kind of settle back in coed stunts more than group stunts - it's almost like you're leaning slightly backwards if that makes sense. And just stay tight - the guy should do most of the work once you're in the air, don't try to balance yourself.

- Be confident, lock out, never look down and always always commit - you haven't got a back or side to save the stunt.
- Don't kick your legs back on a toss jump, you'll drop your base to his knees and he might not forgive you for a while.
- TRUST your base and your spotters. If you don't, then don't go up.
- Work on your ankle strength and vertical jump.
- Get stretchy (if you aren't already) because it's harder to hold lines in the air on top of one person.
- Train yourself to smile when you're terrified, nothing worse than a flyer who looks like she needs diapers ;)

The "lean back" when you're up is a good tip....I forgot that I had to learn that! It's an odd feeling!

Also, when you're tossing up you have to keep your toes slightly forward-or else you'll "Jimmy tap", and your partner won't like that much.

Do your hair half up and straight. A pony tail whacks him in the face. Curls are too big and get in his face too....you don't want your hair acting as dental floss for your partner.

Let your partner balance you once you're up there.

Stay tight the whole time....super super tight. Even when you're coming down.

Wait till you're at the top to flick.

Let your partner do the work. Don't try to help him out and really, just be tight and confident:)

I take classes every week and it's so much fun and it helps a lot with my group stunting because you really have to use every muscle to keep you up there

Back