All-Star Concussions In Sports - Must Read!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2010
I've been following the "Concussion Protocol for Cheer/Athlete Safety Committee" Thread (linked) over the last few days - and although I could've shared this article in that thread (or many other concussion threads), I believe this story is incredibly important to share, thus I've placed it in a new thread.

I worked very closely with Jesse in my undergrad & at the local bar, were I bartended with him on a regular basis. I never suspected that he was struggling as much as he was. The state of his mental health had been rocky before his concussions, however, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that the repetitive brain trauma of concussions amplified his problems & doubts.

I am SO thankful Jesse bravely shared his story with the world, and strongly urge everyone to read it. Open up discussion not only regarding Concussion Safety Protocol with your Kids/Athletes, but also emphasize that there is light to be found, when someone feels so alone and helpless.

Story can be read here: https://www.stathblog.com/sidelined//jesse-topley

Please share your thoughts!

Last edited:
I've been following the "Concussion Protocol for Cheer/Athlete Safety Committee" Thread (linked) over the last few days - and although I could've shared this article in that thread (or many other concussion threads), I believe this story is incredibly important to share, thus I've placed it in a new thread.

I worked very closely with Jesse in my undergrad & at the local bar, were I bartended with him on a regular basis. I never suspected that he was struggling as much as he was. The state of his mental health had been rocky before his concussions, however, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that the repetitive brain trauma of concussions amplified his problems & doubts.

I am SO thankful Jesse bravely shared his story with the world, and strongly urge everyone to read it. Open up discussion not only regarding Concussion Safety Protocol with your Kids/Athletes, but also emphasize that there is light to be found, when someone feels so alone and helpless.

Story can be read here: https://www.stathblog.com/sidelined//jesse-topley

Please share your thoughts!
What an incredible article.

Makes me wonder how many times football players have been written off as dumb by people who didn't realize that theit cognitive functions had been degraded by one or more concussions. Another example of stereotypes being harmful. Glad that this guy is now at a good place in his life.

Back