High School Converting Hs Aacca Rules To An All-star Division Skill Level

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2017
For those of you who are who familiar with both the all-star cheer divisions and high school safety rules, a question: at what all-star level do you think AACCA rules allow high school teams to operate at?

I'm always looking for choreography inspiration from all-star teams, but sometimes have trouble navigating what is and isn't allowed stunts-wise for my high school team (especially when it gets tricky with inverted pyramids, stunts where the flyer switches bases, etc.) From what I gather, level 3 stunts are allowed. Level 4 stunts are mostly allowed, some are not (double downs, etc.). Level 5 stunts are sometimes allowed, most are not (high to highs, single-braced inversions). And level 6 is pretty much off-limits.

Is this an accurate read?

Thanks.

Hard to nail down a level but somewhere between 3 and 4ish with some 5R.

This....

Always double check before you pull something from an all star routine.

Ex: Just because it is Level 3 does not mean it is AACCA/NFHS safe.

and this...

Example:

I was looking at this a couple weeks ago, contemplating pulling a few kids from each of our local high schools and competing them in an all star comp for funsies late in the year. I was thinking we could probably dominate in L3. Then thought it might be more fun for them to pull off their more difficult stunt skills, even if they didn't tumble a lot. So I looked at level 4.2. I think level 4 stunts allow for hi to low tick tocks, those are not legal in high school.

I have also spent a great deal of time in the last five years being completely amazed at all the different ways teams flaunt the loopholes in the USASF rules. What happens, in essence, is that by flaunting a loophole, teams are able to perform a semblance of a skill that is much more dangerous than if the rules just allowed for the real skill itself.

This....

and this...

Example:

I was looking at this a couple weeks ago, contemplating pulling a few kids from each of our local high schools and competing them in an all star comp for funsies late in the year. I was thinking we could probably dominate in L3. Then thought it might be more fun for them to pull off their more difficult stunt skills, even if they didn't tumble a lot. So I looked at level 4.2. I think level 4 stunts allow for hi to low tick tocks, those are not legal in high school.

I have also spent a great deal of time in the last five years being completely amazed at all the different ways teams flaunt the loopholes in the USASF rules. What happens, in essence, is that by flaunting a loophole, teams are able to perform a semblance of a skill that is much more dangerous than if the rules just allowed for the real skill itself.

Which is funny because low to high tick socks are level 5 but legal in hs.

HS rules are weird. They're like level 4 baskets, Level 4 pyramids (but only arm braces no leg braces), Level 5 stunts on the way up (with 2014 level 4 inversion rules), but level 4 stunts on the way down, Level 5 coed stunts, and Level 5 Restricted tumbling (except standing fulls are A-OK).

Plus a lot of weird things in all star you don't think about even having a level aren't legal in HS. No dive forward rolls, theres a bunch of rules about how you can and cannot drop to the floor, no jumping over people in any capacity afaik, and I don't think you can ever walk under a prep. And thats just the half of it.

Which is funny because low to high tick socks are level 5 but legal in hs.

HS rules are weird. They're like level 4 baskets, Level 4 pyramids (but only arm braces no leg braces), Level 5 stunts on the way up (with 2014 level 4 inversion rules), but level 4 stunts on the way down, Level 5 coed stunts, and Level 5 Restricted tumbling (except standing fulls are A-OK).

Plus a lot of weird things in all star you don't think about even having a level aren't legal in HS. No dive forward rolls, theres a bunch of rules about how you can and cannot drop to the floor, no jumping over people in any capacity afaik, and I don't think you can ever walk under a prep. And thats just the half of it.

They're 1000 times better than they used to be...

At least now we have some semblance of safety coupled with the ability to be creative.

They're 1000 times better than they used to be...

At least now we have some semblance of safety coupled with the ability to be creative.

I definitely agree. We weren't allowed to do anything when I was in HS and I much prefer it now. There are some things I would change (as Im sure most coaches would), but overall I much prefer it now!

Back