All-Star Cost Of Allstar Vs Cost Of Other Sports

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

oh my....Cheerleading is so expensive in US. It's so cheap in Europe. It's probably 1,000 € per a year. we pay monthly 25€ and competitions are around 30€ except if we go to internationl competition to other country. It's around 100€ per competition ( but we go probably to 2 competiton that are not in SLO) uni is arounf 70€ (and parents are still call us why is uniforms so expensive! )

I did travel lacrosse and it was a flat $90 a season. Only extra costs we're apparel. We didn't keep our uniforms or anything. Obviously we bought our own sticks. Goggles at this point were not yet mandatory. And parents didn't pay extra for the tournaments.

Huh? There are hundreds of Rec teams. Full Rec competitions and nationals. Traveling Rec teams, non traveling Rec teams. Thousands of girls do Rec every year from pop Warner and football teams that would cost you about $200 to competitive teams that cost between $1200 and $2000. I don't know where u live but where I am there are plenty of other options for parents who don't want to pay allstar money.

I'm glad everyone is sharing all the different experiences they have from across the country.

Part of the problem is that there is no cohesive structure for cheer so that you know what you get compared to what you pay for depending on the level you would like to commit to. Some areas try to be equitable based on level but since there is nothing standardized to compare it to, it is kind of all over the place.

Level5Mom I know your son does travel hockey. How does it compare to what you pay at Rays?

Well it costs $1800 for ice time and 2 tournaments, 2 jerseys and 2 pair of matching socks, and then there are about 3 additional tournaments that run about $80 entry fee per kid. Travel is 1-2 nights in a hotel, and travel frequency is a little more than Rays, maybe 5-6 times total, about $110 per night. Equipment is the big expense with hockey, $500 per year in pads, skates, helmet, bag etc. That would be mid-range quality, but really no more than a uniform/warm-up and 2 pairs of Nfinity shoes.

I would say they are pretty much break even in cost, minus the fact that I buy way too much at the Rays pro shop :).

So I just looked it up. Our up-front (stated in the contract as line items like monthly tuition, choreo, required practice clothes, comp fees) cost this year was $4480. That does not include travel costs (we have 4 comps and possibly Worlds that require flights and hotels). We share rooms with another Mom/Daughter to save. All in, for a year, I'd estimate 10k. Worlds alone last year was north of 2500 for CP and I (and we shared a room! DH joked "what did that work out per second?") Another Dad on our team worked out a whole chart figuring in gas costs (we live in an area where you have to travel no matter what gym you are at) and estimated the costs closer to 15-20k. Less expensive option of High School Cheer was $2300 and that is non-competitive.

That said, I can't point the finger at All-Star Cheer and say it is out of control. All sports costs here seem to be higher than usual. But of the sports my kids do, AS Cheer is definitely the most expensive - especially when calculating actual practice time paid for.

Interesting thread, made me want to work out the cost members of my team pay (I pay less as I coach the Tiny-Junior teams).

£6 per session (roughly £300 per year) 1.5 hours evey Sunday. When we have had extra practice in the lead up to a comp we haven't had to pay, though I think that will change soon, when we more into the new gym.
£150-£250 per competition (including transport, accommodation and sometimes evening meal). We usually do two competitions each year. We would do more but as we have to travel at least 4 hours to get to a small competition and longer for the nationals, it would become rather expensive for just one comp (no where near the prices you all pay though).
£80 approx for uniform (more of the US highschool/collegiate style)
£880 yearly total (I think that works out at $1334!?!)

I feel as cheer gets even more popular in the UK our yearly cost could go up, with more training sessions/attendance at more competitions as they become more local, better uniforms etc etc. At the moment the price I pay for 'Allstar' appears to be similar to what you pay for Rec, but we are behind the US in the cheer world and trying to get people interested in cheer, I think is why our prices are cheaper.

I would pay double what I pay now. Infact I'd pay near enough anything, just because it's cheer :rolleyes:

My brother plays travel hockey and the amount of money we've spent on that is scary. The only other sport that I can imagine is more expensive then competitive cheer and travel hockey is Irish Dancing. The dresses will cost about $600, sometimes more because they're custom made for each individual. Plus they have to buy special socks, 2 types of dance shoes, and wigs! Also, my cousin's dance school required her to go to England, Scottland, and Ireland twice a year! They also REQUIRE spray tans which you have to pay for every time you compete. You also have to pay for tuition and private lessons and competition fees and spectator fees. Irish dance can cost about $16,000 a year, and more with travel fees.

One son did travel soccer and it was about $1500 a year. And that included the uniform and practice clothes and tournament fees. I believe I had to come up with an extra $100 during the seaon for ref fees and the occassional parking fee. In 5 years I paid to get into a total of 2 tournaments and it was only $5. Shoes and goalie gloves were another $200 for the season. So total cost was less then $2000. Other son did travel baseball. That was more expensive the equipment was purchased by us, $400 for a bat! And we had to pay to get into the tournaments usually between $5-$10 per day. But total cost for the year was around $3500. So cheer still wins in the expense dept. $3500 before travel and the ridiculous cost of getting into the comps. Still worth every penny!

Oh Wow. $3500 a year?? Our customers pay $1800 - $2200 a month. We are introducing a 3 month team for $375.00 Includes everything. Haha. How do some parents afford it?

So my question is, what are gyms doing to cut cots. Obviously tuition, uniforms, bow and shoes are mandatory. What are gyms doing about the other costs?

You'd be surprised at what costs you can get cut if you stick up for your customers. I mean $400.00 for a uniform is ridiculous and these uniform companies know it. I've told every rep that I've dealt with, if you can't get what I want for $250.00 I'll use someone else. I've never been told no. Last year we ordered very nice custom GK's :eek:). There is sooooo much competition with uniform companies, competition companies, etc. They are all jockeying for market share so it's the consumer's market right now. They need us more than we need them. If you push the right buttons, you can get what you want for about 50% of the cost. It's the part of business I enjoy the most :)

Well it costs $1800 for ice time and 2 tournaments, 2 jerseys and 2 pair of matching socks, and then there are about 3 additional tournaments that run about $80 entry fee per kid. Travel is 1-2 nights in a hotel, and travel frequency is a little more than Rays, maybe 5-6 times total, about $110 per night. Equipment is the big expense with hockey, $500 per year in pads, skates, helmet, bag etc. That would be mid-range quality, but really no more than a uniform/warm-up and 2 pairs of Nfinity shoes.

I would say they are pretty much break even in cost, minus the fact that I buy way too much at the Rays pro shop :).

haah my brother just bought SKATES that were $500...it's insane. I miss the travel hockey days. Being a hockey sister was so fun!

I think 300 dollar uniforms are insane. That's out of control.

Try checking out what it costs to be competitive in Hunter Jumpers (horses). At the top levels it can easily be hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Seriously. Just board for a horse can hit 2k/month so I count myself lucky my CP loves cheer :)

I would think it would depend on how much your gym travels and what part of the country you were in too. I know we paid (including travel cost, privates, classes, etc) between $6500-$8000 year. Not much different than travel hockey or dance, if not a little cheaper than either of those. Luckily I don't know anyone, whatever sport their child loves to do, who doesn't think it is worth every penny.

Try checking out what it costs to be competitive in Hunter Jumpers (horses). At the top levels it can easily be hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Seriously. Just board for a horse can hit 2k/month so I count myself lucky my CP loves cheer :)

Tell me about it! I remember the first time my dad had to buy me riding gear for a competition. My trainer told him I needed a separate one for jumping, dressage, and cross country...he almost stroked out. I was very lucky though, I traded working in the stables for my lessons and also volunteered to walk my trainer's donkey for "pony" rides. Once I reached Jr Olympic level I don't want to think what the bill was, he never told me. By that point it was almost all private lessons or I would be with 2 other "elite" riders. I also never had to purchase my own horse because my coach raised them and would let me use hers. I could imagine that would make the bill even higher. I think my dad had a silent party when I came home at 17 and told him I wanted to hang out with my friends.

Back