Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

NJ Coach

10's Across the Board....literally.
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Mar 23, 2010
I was looking at the CU thread on Twitter regarding the costs associated with competing at Disney. It's been several years since I've had to pay, but it was expensive then. How much have you paid to either watch your child compete, or compete yourselves?

If the park hopper was removed from the fees, would it make competitions there more appealing?

Haven't been since pre-Covid. Last time we paid $375 just for commuter pass. This year we did All Star Worlds and it was less than half of that for registration and no park tickets. Optional discounted tickets were available for purchase to Universal if interested. The benefit of that is it also included your competition entry fee.

I prefer this because my older kids actually prefer Universal to Disney, we've been to Disney so many times it was nice to mix it up and some years due to our travel schedule we've had no time to visit parks so had unused tickets.

Worlds spectator tickets were $50/day this year. Not sure if there was some tickets available earlier for a discount but I found that steep!

Worlds spectator tickets were $50/day this year. Not sure if there was some tickets available earlier for a discount but I found that steep!
wow....that's insane. Especially since it's a 3-day comp now.

$50 a day is insane, didn’t it used to be around half of that? And Worlds is a more difficult competition to spectate nowadays since it’s in more arenas (good teams go on at the same time in different places) and spread out across more days. I wonder if this has chased away spectators who used to like going to Worlds just to watch. I’m sure it has.

I know it’s because of $$$, but being forced to buy Disney World tickets every year for the sake of a cheerleading competition has always felt strange. It’s nice that another competition has emerged that shows it doesn’t have to be that way.

I was looking at the CU thread on Twitter regarding the costs associated with competing at Disney. It's been several years since I've had to pay, but it was expensive then. How much have you paid to either watch your child compete, or compete yourselves?

If the park hopper was removed from the fees, would it make competitions there more appealing?
$490 for athletes now for Worlds and reservations were hard to come by for parks…..once times were released week prior!!! It is insane!

$50 a day is insane, didn’t it used to be around half of that? And Worlds is a more difficult competition to spectate nowadays since it’s in more arenas (good teams go on at the same time in different places) and spread out across more days. I wonder if this has chased away spectators who used to like going to Worlds just to watch. I’m sure it has.

I know it’s because of $$$, but being forced to buy Disney World tickets every year for the sake of a cheerleading competition has always felt strange. It’s nice that another competition has emerged that shows it doesn’t have to be that way.
It was $25/day when I went in 2012, it jumped up quite a bit in 2013. That was the year they made people buy specific passes for different times/divisions. Thankfully they found out that was a horrible idea. There was still the issue of multiple teams at the same time in 2012, there were the same number of arenas back then as there are now.

Do you know if this is an actual option being pursued or is CU just playing, "what if?"

If I remember correctly, in 2018 the park hopper was around $325 for 3 days and if you rec'd a paid bid, athletes rec'd a 4 day PH. Just ESPN entry was $35 per day. I would always check to compare cheer PH pricing to the Performing Arts programs for schools, because I was told by a "cast member" park hoppers were how schools paid for the Performing Arts programs and how sports paid for ESPN. The PH prices were always around the same with cheer being a little more for what I assumed was the ESPN entry. Last year and this year I just remember thinking the cheer prices were outrageous, as well as, they were much higher than the Performing Art PH prices which have stayed pretty much the same as what cheer paid back in 2018. Below are the 2022 Performing Art Package prices. Performing Arts Pricing

PRICING INFORMATION​

Disney Multi-Day Performance Packages and Educational Workshop Packages include a special Disney gift for each student. Tickets are non-refundable and non-upgradeable.

DISNEY PERFORMANCESWITHOUT TAXWITH TAX
2-Day Starter Ticket$193.00$204.25
3-DAY3-Day Starter Ticket$250.00$264.95
3-Day Park Hopper® Ticket$305.00$323.53
3-Day PREMIUM Ticket$315.00$334.18
4-DAY4-Day Starter Ticket$308.00$326.72
4-Day Park Hopper® Ticket$363.00$385.30
4-Day PREMIUM Ticket$373.00$395.95
5-DAY5-Day Starter Ticket$382.00$405.53
5-Day Park Hopper® Ticket$437.00$464.11
5-Day PREMIUM Ticket$447.00$474.76
6-DAY6-Day Starter Ticket$392.00$416.18
6-Day Park Hopper® Ticket$447.00$474.76
6-Day PREMIUM Ticket$457.00$485.41

$490 for athletes now for Worlds and reservations were hard to come by for parks…..once times were released week prior!!! It is insane!
This is what adds insult to injury. A "full paid bid" amount has not increased since inception, yet prices keep skyrocketing. The fact that you are denied entry into the parks due to capacity and you don't get your credentials until the parks are already booked is unacceptable. You are now being forced to buy a product/service that Varsity/USASF/IASF/Disney is not able to provide.

It chased us away! Our group of four would have gone for a little Monday but for $200 we chose a pool day. On Sunday the arena hallways were still ridiculously packed but there was seating available inside when LAG performed (up top, sides). The narrow stairways though don't permit much passage so they weren't letting many people in but there were seats compared with say NCA.

I can't (I actually can) believe they have doubled the spectator rate. It's a 3-day comp now. It's literally insane to me.

Competitions at the House of Mouse are so expensive. Especially now, with Disney requiring a reservation for the parks. Families are being forced to buy a hopper that they may not be able to use. I hate the money grab feel of it all.

I can't (I actually can) believe they have doubled the spectator rate. It's a 3-day comp now. It's literally insane to me.

Competitions at the House of Mouse are so expensive. Especially now, with Disney requiring a reservation for the parks. Families are being forced to buy a hopper that they may not be able to use. I hate the money grab feel of it all.
I remember thinking it was crazy back in 2012 to pay $75 for all 3 days. At least the number of days hasn't increased in over 10 years lol (but I probably shouldn't give them any ideas)

I remember thinking it was crazy back in 2012 to pay $75 for all 3 days. At least the number of days hasn't increased in over 10 years lol (but I probably shouldn't give them any ideas)
Every decision they have made has been the exact opposite decision that should have been made if you are trying to grow the sport.

Every decision they have made has been the exact opposite decision that should have been made if you are trying to grow the sport.
Including banning videos posted by the public - including parents (aka free advertising) and not having free live streams and discontinuing televised broadcasts of Worlds, NCA and UCA. My kids got hooked not because of the small, very uncompetitive gym they were at, but because they saw WCSS live at competitions and watched teams like TGLC on television. If they didn't have exposure to those high caliber teams and only saw what was at local competitions, they probably would have lost interest quickly.
My family owns and shows horses - all of the live streams of horse shows are free. They are sponsored by the training farms - each farm chips in a small amount because they get to advertise. It would be a no-brainer to do the same for cheer - if it costs each gym $100 and they get to publish a 30 second video to advertise their gym it is well worth it and would cover the costs, but Varsity has the lock on everything and wants to profit from it so it would never happen.

Including banning videos posted by the public - including parents (aka free advertising) and not having free live streams and discontinuing televised broadcasts of Worlds, NCA and UCA.
My family owns and shows horses - all of the live streams of horse shows are free. They are sponsored by the training farms - each farm chips in a small amount because they get to advertise. It would be a no-brainer to do the same for cheer - if it costs each gym $100 and they get to publish a 30 second video to advertise their gym it is well worth it and would cover the costs, but Varsity has the lock on everything and wants to profit from it so it would never happen.

Yup, Worlds used to be on ESPN or ESPN2 and it allowed more people to even know this sport exists. I don't understand why it's so easy for "All Star Worlds" and all its qualifying events to have free live streams with sound, but for Varsity comps, you have to pay a fortune to watch soundless video. It's insane. Who wants to pay money to watch a bunch of routines without getting to hear the music and crowd.

I know Cheer Update's recently tweeted they knew of other sports that didn't require park hoppers for WWOS. Kudos to CU, or anyone, if they can help renegotiate contracts between Varsity and Disney. I wish them success, but there's a big difference between arenas and fields/tracks.

@Knowcheering the difference is when people start targeting a corp/business legally, and/or when there's a major law change. Enter the legal team who will point out everything that makes them vulnerable. Varsity changed their video policy right after the trademark and copyright laws changed. Depending on whomever holds their debt, they can dictate whatever rules they want to protect their assets, as well.

Back