Could I Realistically Do Cheer In College

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 1, 2021
I have been cheering for 2 seasons in high school and I am a senior. I have no real tumbling skills. The most impressive thing I can do is a one-handed cartwheel. Aside from that I can only do the extreme basics that practically every girl can do- forward and backward rolls, cartwheels, roundoffs, and a backbend. I'm a flyer but the best stunt I can do is a full up. My jumps vary depending on the jump. For example my right hurdler is great and my toe touch is pretty good, but my left hurdler and pike aren't at that level yet. I think my strongest area is my motions. My coaches have pointed out that I have very sharp and powerful motions on multiple occasions. Aside from the physical skills, I'm not afraid to be loud and am definitely one of the louder girls on the team, which is another thing my coaches have pointed out. I am by no means advanced. I only recently learned my full up and still have a ways to go.

I have really fallen in love with this sport and I want to be able to continue doing it after high school. I love the atmosphere and close-knit family all the girls become by the end of the season. Its definitely an experience I want to be able to pursue in college, but I don't know if it's realistically something that can happen because of my lack of skill compared to girls who have cheered their whole lives or been a part of elite private teams.

I agree it depends on the school. We are at a top public high school and there have been cheerleaders who made their college team who didn't make the high school one.

It really just depends on where u wanna cheer collage! Some collages don’t compete and just have game day teams that don’t require had much skill/experience. Other collages, half the team has standing fulls. It really just depends
My advice for you is to go to privates as mush as possible, and make sure you are stretching a lot, especially since u are a flyer.

My daughter is a sophomore in HS and this is her 6th year in all-stars. She really wants to cheer in college. Her HS is not good at all so other than learning sideline cheer, she will not be enhancing any tumbling or stunt skills. She's not sure where she wants to go to college but open to anywhere. Should she continue with her HS team or focus more at all-stars to advance her tumbling and stunting skills?

Where does she want to Cheer? What College Cheer programs is she interested in? Some such as UT Austin (May have changed since COVID) require cheering your senior year in HS to tryout. Others could care less and focus on all star style for competitions such as NCA Daytona.

Back