All-Star Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can't believe you have to pay for covid tests. Would that not stop many people going to get one?

In England, if you have symptoms, you can apply for a postal test or go to a testing centre free of charge.

Originally, we were actively encouraged to only get one if you had symptoms but recently they've introduced asymptomatic testing to try and identify asymptomatic cases who will then isolate to avoid spreading it. I'm a teacher and my local council is actively encouraging us to get tested weekly as part of this asymptomatic testing drive as well as to keep the spread in schools as low as possible (our schools are currently open only to vulnerable children and children of essential workers)

I've had two tests, both postal. I got them the day after I ordered them from the government website and got the results 1-2 days after. I think this definitely varies across the country though! I'm in London, not sure it's the same in more rural areas.

It's interesting to see the different approaches taken/advised.

Last edited:
Houston rodeo canceled :(

I really hoped between it being an outside event and the COVID vaccine being available in Texas to those most in need, the rodeo would take place. It wasn’t even scheduled till May.

I think unless you test everyone all the time, there will be covid positive people among us. That’s why we wear masks and distance as much as we can.

Kids and parents need to be responsible at comps. If you compete without masks then at least put it on when you’re done. Don’t take lots of selfies with your friends maskless. Parents - be happy you get to see your kid compete at all. Follow the rules.
I agree 100% with this. If we test all the time, not even virtual competitions will be able to happen

Cheersport covid guidelines. (It specifically says each building has its own ventilation system.) It seems pretty good I think. Not sure about the part where you can enter the holding area 90 mins before. I think I'd rather wait outside if it's not freezing!

https://www.varsity.com/cs/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/CS_Nationals_21DayCOVIDEventCommunication.pdf
That's the thing though, it probably will be freezing at this time of year! A heated car is always a great option LOL
But all in all, I'm proud of the way it seems they will be running this comp. It seems very safe, and anyone that has a problem with the hospital being there shouldn't be. They have made it very clear you will be fully separated from it, different ventialton, and everything. All in all, I'm very happy with how they are running this event

Houston rodeo canceled :(

I really hoped between it being an outside event and the COVID vaccine being available in Texas to those most in need, the rodeo would take place. It wasn’t even scheduled till May.
Wow. There is a live cheer event there this weekend right?

Wow. There is a live cheer event there this weekend right?

Yes, Cheer Bowl Nationals. It's not very big. The rodeo is huge in Texas. I just hoped between the vaccine, outside event, and rescheduled for May it would take place.

You are completely ignoring the fact that this could very possibly be a false test. Now how would you feel as a kid if you worked all season and then because you got a false positive test you couldn't attend your comp. people are completely forgetting the kid's side here. We need normalcy in our life. I know personally that I am homeschooled, and so cheer is my only time to be with friends. My only outlet. If cheer gets taken away again my life is done. I have nothing else. I am homeschooled so no school dances, no hangouts with friends, nothing.
I have already not got the chance to compete with my senior 5 team. It's my 1st year on level 5, so I was really pumped. But now I might not even get to use it. We are already barely getting a season, and I can guarantee if you got your whole gym tested, there would be at least 1 positive test. Now if they really were or not is a different story, but being asymptomatic is a thing. Especially in a gym as big as mine, between all 10 teams, lots of coaches, and then all the gymnasts, there would most certainly be a positive test out of all those people. Every time.
Also, thinking about getting that many people tested here is out of the question. There is not enough test, and they're booked weeks out in advance here. And then how long it takes for them to come back. Where I live, that is simply out of the question
I'm not even going to justify this with a response. You are clearly very young, and completely not understanding the reality of this pandemic.

You are completely ignoring the fact that this could very possibly be a false test. Now how would you feel as a kid if you worked all season and then because you got a false positive test you couldn't attend your comp. people are completely forgetting the kid's side here. We need normalcy in our life. I know personally that I am homeschooled, and so cheer is my only time to be with friends. My only outlet. If cheer gets taken away again my life is done. I have nothing else. I am homeschooled so no school dances, no hangouts with friends, nothing.
I have already not got the chance to compete with my senior 5 team. It's my 1st year on level 5, so I was really pumped. But now I might not even get to use it. We are already barely getting a season, and I can guarantee if you got your whole gym tested, there would be at least 1 positive test. Now if they really were or not is a different story, but being asymptomatic is a thing. Especially in a gym as big as mine, between all 10 teams, lots of coaches, and then all the gymnasts, there would most certainly be a positive test out of all those people. Every time.
Also, thinking about getting that many people tested here is out of the question. There is not enough test, and they're booked weeks out in advance here. And then how long it takes for them to come back. Where I live, that is simply out of the question
So you get a false positive and have to retest, i still dont see the issue. If a kid misses possibly a few weeks of practices and maybe a few comps, the kids WILL survive, id much rather that then let a covid positive kid run around possibly infecting others.

I can't believe you have to pay for covid tests. Would that not stop many people going to get one?

In England, if you have symptoms, you can apply for a postal test or go to a testing centre.

Originally, we were actively encouraged to only get one if you had symptoms but recently they've introduced asymptomatic testing to try and identify asymptomatic cases who will then isolate to avoid spreading it. I'm a teacher and my local council is actively encouraging us to get tested weekly as part of this asymptomatic testing drive as well as to keep the spread in schools as low as possible (our schools are currently open only to vulnerable children and children of essential workers)

I've had two tests, both postal. I got them the day after I ordered them from the government website and got the results 1-2 days after. I think this definitely varies across the country though! I'm in London, not sure it's the same in more rural areas.

It's interesting to see the different approaches taken/advised.

Very much depends on where you get your test. I've done three tests total, and never paid a single time. There are plenty of free testing sites available, most take a couple days for results. There ARE free rapid tests, but they are usually hard to book. They are often booked up for weeks out, at least in my area. Private pharmacies have taken to charging for rapids, and people that need to know RIGHT NOW will take them up on it. Say you were exposed but plan to leave town the next day and can't wait for results, or something. I don't fully agree with the morality of charging, but I guess I see where places are coming from. If I can avoid it, I will never pay for a test.

Your insurance is also a factor too, of course. Mine fully covers the regular tests.

Also the whole argument of "Well the survival rate is higher for the young" is hogwash imo. If my coworker had the flu and showed up to work without telling anyone, and then was coughing all over the place, etc and said "well its survivable so your fine" id still be livid as anything, i cant imagine anyone being like "wee! yes i dont care if i get sick as a dog at any point in time", like no.

as someone who struggles personally with mental health, i get its important and its been a HARD thing to juggle through all this, but i wouldnt trade being mentally healthy for a possible ICU bed and bad physical health either...... plus typically when you have a prolonged sickness your mental health goes with it for the duration. So your really not improving crap by taking the risks.

Yes some families are doing great, some families are enjoying having parents home and not gone 12 hours a day. But some are struggling terribly! A family where parents lost their jobs, lost their insurance, struggle to help their kids with homework even they dont understand. Some families cannot make the best of these time.
I a
As a professional in the field of psychology I am surprised you are assuming all families will "make the best of a difficult situation". I have no education or psychology degree, but I worked in an inner city low income school district and you have no idea the number of families that barely have a situation - let alone expecting them to set up a learning environment. Add to that the rampant drug use and physical and mental abuse that kids in some home situations across the country in all demographics are dealing with. School was an outlet for so many of these kids. It's criminal that these kids have been neglected and left to live in those situations 24/7.
As a professional in the field of psychology I am surprised you are assuming all families will "make the best of a difficult situation". I have no education or psychology degree, but I worked in an inner city low income school district and you have no idea the number of families that barely have a situation - let alone expecting them to set up a learning environment. Add to that the rampant drug use and physical and mental abuse that kids in some home situations across the country in all demographics are dealing with. School was an outlet for so many of these kids. It's criminal that these kids have been neglected and left to live in those situations 24/7.
Families struggling before the pandemic are likely worse off today. I was referring to concerns of not being able to cheer or have competitions. These are luxuries that many never had with or without covid. Many are acting as though missing a competition season is the end of the world. There are plenty of families that have never had the means to participate in expensive sports/hobbies.

Everyone regardless of financial health is struggling right now.

attempting to guilt people regarding the “luxury sport” they can’t compete in is in bad taste. Our kids are allowed to be upset because they can’t practice as normal or compete. This sport is very important to them for booth physical and mental health and for some they only place they can be themselves and thuan is a loss for them regardless of how trivial you think it is.

Cheer is not a requirement. If you feel unsafe don’t participate this year and move on from shaming the rest of us.

I a

Families struggling before the pandemic are likely worse off today. I was referring to concerns of not being able to cheer or have competitions. These are luxuries that many never had with or without covid. Many are acting as though missing a competition season is the end of the world. There are plenty of families that have never had the means to participate in expensive sports/hobbies.

Everyone has different circumstances. If your kid is 8 and on a Mini Level 1 team that competes 3 times a year, cancelling the competition season is no big deal and the kid might barely even notice. But if your kid is 18 and has committed a great deal of time to cheer and has one last chance to win Worlds before heading off to college, I could see how cancelling an entire season of in-person competitions might be very devastating. It's a bit similar to what Olympians must be feeling over the possible cancellation of the Summer Olympics after they've worked their whole lives for this one moment. The US boycotted the Olympics back in 1980 and some of the athletes are still affected to this day by that decision. Sure, there are people out there suffering from much worse than a cancelled sporting event, but it doesn't mean people aren't allowed to feel devastated over what they're going through personally.

Last edited:
Very much depends on where you get your test. I've done three tests total, and never paid a single time. There are plenty of free testing sites available, most take a couple days for results. There ARE free rapid tests, but they are usually hard to book. They are often booked up for weeks out, at least in my area. Private pharmacies have taken to charging for rapids, and people that need to know RIGHT NOW will take them up on it. Say you were exposed but plan to leave town the next day and can't wait for results, or something. I don't fully agree with the morality of charging, but I guess I see where places are coming from. If I can avoid it, I will never pay for a test.

Your insurance is also a factor too, of course. Mine fully covers the regular tests.

I see, I'm glad there are free options.

Do people have to pay to get their vaccine? Or does that depend on insurance?

Back