All-Star Do You Think It'll Ever Happen?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2010
so, obviously injuries in cheerleading has always been a hot topic. Now that I am officially in the athletic training program, I am very interested with getting certified athletic trainers in cheer gyms across the country. I know, its VERY optimistic, but do you know how fewer injuries we would see? obviously injuries are inevitable, but with proper precautions taken and having someone knowledgeable of the biomechanics of everything, i feel like it could have a big impact. Now the question is, how would someone even go about doing this? I personally would love to eventually see it required for gyms to have an athletic trainer on staff, just like every sport in college has one. Not being an official sport is definitely a factor though. There would have to be alot of discussion and what not with the USASF and NATA, but still. just wondering what people think about the idea....

peace, love, and happy cheering

showstopper

I think that it would be great! My gym has an physical trainer on the premisses and he really helps with the strengthening that we all need.

so, obviously injuries in cheerleading has always been a hot topic. Now that I am officially in the athletic training program, I am very interested with getting certified athletic trainers in cheer gyms across the country. I know, its VERY optimistic, but do you know how fewer injuries we would see? obviously injuries are inevitable, but with proper precautions taken and having someone knowledgeable of the biomechanics of everything, i feel like it could have a big impact. Now the question is, how would someone even go about doing this? I personally would love to eventually see it required for gyms to have an athletic trainer on staff, just like every sport in college has one. Not being an official sport is definitely a factor though. There would have to be alot of discussion and what not with the USASF and NATA, but still. just wondering what people think about the idea....

peace, love, and happy cheering

showstopper
I think its a great idea, however money talks. We are very fortunate that we have a member of our staff that is very knowledgeable about athletic training, she has an exercise science degree (different I know) but still it has helped a lot. I have noticed a HUGE decrease in injuries due to changing the way we are teaching proper progressions. I don't know if its feasible that gyms could afford a trainer unless that person was also a knowledgeable coach however requiring proper training is a possibility and I wish more gyms would do it and I WISH it was a requirement. Maybe along with your USASF certification ;) lol

I have noticed a HUGE decrease in injuries due to changing the way we are teaching proper progressions. I don't know if its feasible that gyms could afford a trainer unless that person was also a knowledgeable coach however requiring proper training is a possibility and I wish more gyms would do it and I WISH it was a requirement. Maybe along with your USASF certification ;) lol

I think that it would be feasible for the USASF/ISASF to work with trainers to develop these progressions, and then implement them into the education involved for becoming a credentialed tumbling instructor. My thinking is: each level of tumbling requires a real test (including practicals!) regarding tumbling mechanics based off of the progressions set forth by the USASF. If you are a level 2 credentialed instructor, you can only coach level 1 & 2 tumbling. If you are a gym owner and out of your tumbling coaches the highest level any of them are credentialed for is level 4, you can only field a team up to level 4. I also think that team coaches should be credentialed as well regarding stunting, with the same parameters regarding credentialing and team levels. I also think yearly CEU's should be required to keep current. The progressions should also be progressive, and not all encompassing. You may be able to coach a beautiful full, but not know squat about the proper technique for a BWO. I also think gyms should be required to have at least one CPR and First Aid certified staff member in the gym any time athletes are in there as well. I think that regulations like these, ultimately leading to level certifying gyms so parents know what they are getting when they sign Suzie up, would be a great step in order to get allstar cheerleading the recognition and legitimacy that many are asking for.

As a cheerleader, i would be sooo happy to have a trainer on board! Thats someone who will actually know what to do with injuries and understand what is safe and what isnt. Athletic trainers could tape up athletes and help with physical therapy. Honestly, i feel like this should be mandatory for big gyms, but it would be expensive. Its just such an amazing idea!!!! But like all other amazing ideas, somebodys gotta use their voice and make it happen!

@ShoWStoppeR here is the question that I pose to you, do you think there is a way to market yourself/your gym as a gym that offers an athletic trainer? I'm curious if a parent is willing to pay more to be at a gym that has an athletic trainer? I truly think that is the key, you have to show your value bc I and many coaches are fully aware, you have to FORCE the rest of the cheer community to understand that. Many of the larger camps are using trainers (which I think would be a perfect internship for you) I wish you the best of luck!

We have a trainer at our gym M-F during team practices! Its great to have! The company is called Athletico

If you have the money, you can make it happen! Most gymnastics gyms with elites have a certified athletic trainer in the building the same hours as the elites.

I know that at my old HS, since they're a small school and can't really afford a full-time athletic trainer (since it's a lot of time for little pay), we use a company that has a rotation of trainers and whoever is available that day comes in and works. If there was a company that could source trainers like that for cheer gyms, that'd probably help. Or if they (the trainer) taught a class at some point as well. Mommy and Me, tumbling instructor, etc. Dual-purpose? Who knows, maybe at some point most coaches will have degrees in athletic training! Definitely could make things more lucrative if you're looking to coach somewhere.. 'Hey, I'm ShowStopper and I'm a certified athletic trainer!'

@ShoWStoppeR here is the question that I pose to you, do you think there is a way to market yourself/your gym as a gym that offers an athletic trainer? I'm curious if a parent is willing to pay more to be at a gym that has an athletic trainer? I truly think that is the key, you have to show your value bc I and many coaches are fully aware, you have to FORCE the rest of the cheer community to understand that. Many of the larger camps are using trainers (which I think would be a perfect internship for you) I wish you the best of luck!

Of course, I can only look at this from a parent perspective, but usually the decision to cheer is based on a lot of factors - program success, financial impact, safety, etc. If a prospective gym owner told me that a certified Athletic Trainer was a staff member, and would be present at all tumble classes, practices, etc., to ensure my cp learns to execute a skill in the safest way possible, you bet your bow I'd pay a little more.

we are lucky enough to have 3 occupational therapists and 2 currently in OT school working at my gym right now. One of them is always around to answer questions and they are great at rehab exercise ideas for minor injuries. They all work in the same place which is the biggest in our area so there are several that get them after injuries. Its great to have someone in the field familiar with the stresses of the body cheer and gym put on you.

Back