Does Your Recreational Program Have To Be Insured If You Don't Do Competitions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2014
As most of you know, I'm not doing the all star cheerleading as that's just too high of a time-commitment and way too expensive for a beginner coach. I also feel like I would just be setting up my students for failure if I had them do a certain side of the sport, that I do not know much about.
I'm deciding to do a non-competition recreational cheerleading team in my area. However, there is only one rec football team and basketball team organization. However, nothing for cheerleading in my area. So I would have to start from scratch. Which is another reason why I'm deciding not to put them in competition just yet. Maybe after a year or two, but defiantly not for the first season.
Because I'm deciding not to compete, do I still have to have insurance for my team? If so, how do I get the insurance? The only thing that I can give you about the program I'm wanting to start is that its going to be in the triangle area of NC. Chapel Hill, to be specific. The Youth recreational Basketball and football team that is close to Chapel Hill, is the one in Hillsborough, NC. Its just at a local parks and recreation center. I don't think there is a specific organization they're apart of.

Any advice/Tips??

PS: I know its a little soon to be starting threads after yet, another blow out. I know I said I was leaving, but in all honesty, I just took a short break from it. If you don't want to answer the question, I'm fine with that and I understand. However, I'm kindly asking you to lower the amount of sarcasm. As said before, if you guys lower the amount of sarcasm on my post, you guys will defiantly see another side of me that you may actually like. Also, there isn't any standing recreational programs for cheerleading in my area. So as said before, I have to start one on my own. I'm going to have assistance of course, but right now its all by my self. If this works out, I wouldn't start the program until of course next year.
Again, I kindly ask that you lower the sarcasm. If you don't have anything nice to say, or any attempt in answering my question, please just ignore the thread. Please do not post pictures that's supposed to be humiliating me and so forth. All I want is just clean thread of actual advice. Not bashing, not arguments, and nothing regarding to my previous post. Thank you.​

I don't know where to send you, but yes, you will need insurance.

My advice would be to check with the nearest town that has such a program, try to work or volunteer with them, learn the business side of it, THEN after a year or two branch out on your own.

My advice would be to check with the nearest town that has such a program, try to work or volunteer with them, learn the business side of it, THEN after a year or two branch out on your own.
Thank you. But as said before, they're aren't any local ones that I know about or have seen on the internet. :( the furthest I would have to go out is to Raleigh, or Cary area. Any advice on that??

My transportation is limited. Which is why I'm trying to stay close to home. My car is a piece of crap and doesn't go out very far =/

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend starting just yet. What groups would you be cheering for? Start there and see if there is any interest then search the internet (not message boards) to find organizations such as pop warner who do this. They may be able to guide you.

I agree :) There are some programs that operate out of the city's recreation department or the YMCA. You can contact them and see who they use, or how they started. I think it would be too hard to be a free standing recreation program not affiliated with some type of city program, just due to the cost of everything. The area you live in should have a recreation dept that you can talk to about setting up maybe a cheer class first like once a week - like they have for dance, and other type classes- and you can see what the interest is, and then pull your recreation team from your classes after introducing it to the kids and the parents/community. You will need some kind of sports insurance, but to get that free standing not associated with your city's recreation department may be expensive. If you are associating with the parks and rec dept they should have liabilty insurance for any type of youth sports program they run.

Last edited:
The rec program I am involved with is football and cheerleading combined - one organization. We have insurance for every participant regardless of which sport they participate in. We do compete, but I don't think it makes a difference. If they are cheering, jumping, tumbling, or stunting, they need to be insured.

So if you are going to cheer for an existing sports team, maybe you could get covered under their insurance.

Back