High School Drama In The Squad

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 22, 2011
Today at practice, we had a team meeting. There were girls crying, because @princessmackenzie had told them to not lean so much in a prep when we were practicing our pregame stunt. There was a huge blow up on the team, and it was Mackenzie and I vs. the team. They told us we were too bossy and that we were too critical and picky. I've been cheering for Allstars for four years now, and this is my third season on Varsity for high school; Mackenzie has been cheering since she could basically walk. This is her third year on Varsity as well. Since its someonthing we've both been doing for a long time, we really try to focus on the safety of the team. When we split into JV and Varsity at practices, our coaches tell the two of us to run our practice. Our school refuses to have captains, but it seems like we would be captains if we had them. Mackenzie and I taught 95% of the cheerleaders how to stunt. But now, if we say anyone does anything wrong, even if its put as nicely as "Hey Suzie, hold your butt up in your sponge, it'll make it alot easier for everyone in the group!", we get attitudes and tears. Does anyone else have a team that has a problem similar to this? We need help!

I know exactly what your talking about, except we have people trying to be coaches who shouldn't. We had to have a team meeting where we explained that we are all there to help and encourage eachother, but not to be mean and critisize rudely. We also explained that sometimes you gotta say something to help better the team! It stills becomes an issue for people sometimes though. And when people take it personally it gets hard... but I try and tell myself and the other girls that if someone tells you to fix something, they are just trying to help!

This sounds like a coaching problem, and the coach should be the ones addressing the team. In the first place the coaches shouldn't be putting the responsibility onto you and your friend. The blow up would not be from the comment on the prep, it would be from a build up of frustration over the season. You clearly sound like the two of you know what you're talking about, but the bottom line is its not your place to instruct the other girls. You're not the coach, your not the captain, and girls can and will start to resent you and get frustrated and annoyed. You can say something in the nicest possible way but if there is already tension or resentment there, then they will hear it differently. This is a tough position for you because the coach is asking you to "take over" and you are only doing what is asked, but the other team members see it as you two being bossy, know it alls, who think they are better than everyone else. I quite frankly don't see the drama going away until a coach steps up and takes on more of a leadership role and not a backseat. Just speaking from experience dealing with teams similar to this!

We have team meetings about additude almost every practice. Its miserable. And the seniors run the practice, which i'm ok with because i like our seniors, but noone will listen to them and they're just about ready to quit. our whole team is. its ALWAYS been this way, and our team doesnt know how to leave everything behind you as SOON as you walk on that mat. We've gotten dead last at every competition exept one, where we got our bid to Nationals in Disney, and at Disney we got 48th. FOURTY EIGHTH. It's embarrassing and everyone is tired of it, but no one understands how to just drop it.

Hate to say this, ladies, but often, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. The title of leader goes to someone who can LEAD, which means guide and teach, and ultimately train others to be their best. It does NOT mean "Do it my way because I have more experience than you do and I know best, period, the end." Rather than saying "Get your butt up, it'll make it a lot easier," you could try "(Cheerleader name,) if you push with your leg to lock your knee, it might help your bases when they pop you up." That's probably all wrong, but whatever. You get my point.
I f your entire team is upset with you, they might have a point. And they're Varsity cheerleaders. Not novices on a Wiggler squad. Give them some credit too. A great leader makes his or her subordinates never feel as if they are, actually, subordinates, but makes them feel recognized and equal. And important. A great leader also knows that a team meeting involves the team, not just the leader "speech-ing."
And since you're not technically "captains," try offering helpful suggestions, not barking orders. Remember that everyone on a team has something to offer. Praise the good, and adjust or guide the bad.

This sounds like a coaching problem, and the coach should be the ones addressing the team. In the first place the coaches shouldn't be putting the responsibility onto you and your friend. The blow up would not be from the comment on the prep, it would be from a build up of frustration over the season. You clearly sound like the two of you know what you're talking about, but the bottom line is its not your place to instruct the other girls. You're not the coach, your not the captain, and girls can and will start to resent you and get frustrated and annoyed. You can say something in the nicest possible way but if there is already tension or resentment there, then they will hear it differently. This is a tough position for you because the coach is asking you to "take over" and you are only doing what is asked, but the other team members see it as you two being bossy, know it alls, who think they are better than everyone else. I quite frankly don't see the drama going away until a coach steps up and takes on more of a leadership role and not a backseat. Just speaking from experience dealing with teams similar to this!

I agree with AScheer 100% its your coaches who are causing the drama and issues. It comes from the top down. Until they come back and run practices your team will continue to resent you and your friend. I started out coaching high school and it was very fun but I never let my kids run practice. I ran every practice and as a coach you will get out of your team what you put in. You girls need to go to your coach and tell them run practices. They will listen to you if you talk to them outside of practice or not in front of everyone what you would like to teach. Be respectful when you do talk to them because the school has placed them in that role for a reason. Although you may not think they are doing the best job.

Youtube, Facebook, VarsityTV and many other social medias are great ways you can show your coach what you want to accomplish as a team and they can instruct that at practice and feel confident and the kids will listen!

Cheers!
Coach Magaha

Back