All-Star End Of Season Awards For Team Members

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 10, 2012
Hi All,

We want to give out trophies to all of my cp's team members to recognize them for their amazing dedication and hard work this season. While the team only got 1st place at one competition, they worked their cheer booties off and we feel that it is important for them to each take home a trophy at the end of the season.

Our gym does not do an end of year banquet (lame) so after the lat competition, it's just over. At the very least, these kids deserve some individual recognition.

Do ya'll have any cute/inspiring ideas for award categories? There are 25 kids on the team. Here's what I have come up with so far:

Best Smile
Best Base
Reliable/Best Backspot
Safest cheerleader
Best Spirit
Highest Jumps
Best Flier
Best All around
Best Tumbler
Toughest Cheerleader (the one who always got hit and got back up)
Best Flexibility
Best Toe Touch
Cheer Clown
Cheerleader 4 Life award
Best Teammate

I would sooooo appreciate any suggestions!!!!

Thanks!

Cheermama

How about something about performer/facials. sportsmanship, dancing, motions, recognizing someone who's a good leader.

I probably will have an unpopular opinion but... I definitely see the value in giving every kid a participation trophy - each one participated in making the team have a successful, fun season, and they all deserve to be recognized for helping the team. When it comes to individual, "best" awards, well... that's a whole different issue. Yes, each child has made an important contribution to the team. However, if you have to come here to get ideas of awards to issue, I would argue that these awards aren't really... personal or important. Generic awards are transparently generic - the kid who gets the "best cheer curls" award (just throwing a crazy idea out there because you need ten more, lol) is going to know that you were reeeeeeeally stretching to get that last idea for a best award, you know? I'm not sure if I'm being clear.

Here's my suggestion - have each kid write down the three things they are most proud of about themselves, three things they liked best about the season, and three things they look forward to doing next year (always want to have a reason for your customers to return!) Use those as a guide when giving out awards. The kid that you (or the coach) thinks has "Highest Jumps" may actually be most proud of finally getting a particular skill in tumbling this year, and the kid who has just so-so jumps may be really proud about finally learning to rotate her hips in toe touches. When Suzie is awarded her trophy, it won't be for "Highest Jumps," but rather, the coach will say "Suzie really improved her toe touches this year, and had a great time at the competition where she performed her back handspring for the first time. I look forward to next year, where she will work on achieving her tuck!" It will take more time to do awards this way, but I really think it would be much more meaningful to the kids and it will highlight everyone's contributions rather than foster jealousy (because there is *always* a kid who thinks she has higher jumps or a better smile or is a better back spot, you know?)

Best Dancer
Best Performer
Best Personality
Most Improved
Most Dedicated (maybe the one who missed the least amount of practices)

CP has previously gotten...

tightest flyer
Most likely to be a cheer coach when she grows up
Most improved flyer
Most Spirited

Most improved _______
Miss (or Mr if coed) Reliable (always there, on time, ready to go)
Most flexible (the one who will do whatever you need, whenever you need)

cheermama , I did this as a fun team thing at our holiday party, but instead of doing "Best" such-and-such, I gave the categories fun names. "Most Flexible" would be "Elastigirl" and "Highest Jumps" would be "Jumpin Jack Flash." That way, no one feels better than/best like SarahS was saying, plus you can get really funny with the award names!

The only award I ever remember getting from my youth years was most likely to have my shoes untied and just because it was so personal and funny I have remembered that award for all this time. Funny awards are great as long as it's not embarrassing to the child so beware. Me having my shoes untied wasn't embarrassing so to me it was just a moment that I got to stand up and get a certificate which at that age being recognized for anything was amazing.

The only award I ever remember getting from my youth years was most likely to have my shoes untied and just because it was so personal and funny I have remembered that award for all this time. Funny awards are great as long as it's not embarrassing to the child so beware. Me having my shoes untied wasn't embarrassing so to me it was just a moment that I got to stand up and get a certificate which at that age being recognized for anything was amazing.

Were your shoes tied when you got the award?

SarahS. What an incredible idea. Yes, it would mean more work for the coaches, but how incredibly personal and
(as evidenced by GreatWhite92 ;) )more memorable.

I was awarded Best Attitude as a formal trophy, and Team Mom as a paper plate award for my school team senior year. =)

SarahS. What an incredible idea. Yes, it would mean more work for the coaches, but how incredibly personal and
(as evidenced by GreatWhite92 ;) )more memorable.

I probably will have an unpopular opinion but... I definitely see the value in giving every kid a participation trophy - each one participated in making the team have a successful, fun season, and they all deserve to be recognized for helping the team. When it comes to individual, "best" awards, well... that's a whole different issue. Yes, each child has made an important contribution to the team. However, if you have to come here to get ideas of awards to issue, I would argue that these awards aren't really... personal or important. Generic awards are transparently generic - the kid who gets the "best cheer curls" award (just throwing a crazy idea out there because you need ten more, lol) is going to know that you were reeeeeeeally stretching to get that last idea for a best award, you know? I'm not sure if I'm being clear.

Here's my suggestion - have each kid write down the three things they are most proud of about themselves, three things they liked best about the season, and three things they look forward to doing next year (always want to have a reason for your customers to return!) Use those as a guide when giving out awards. The kid that you (or the coach) thinks has "Highest Jumps" may actually be most proud of finally getting a particular skill in tumbling this year, and the kid who has just so-so jumps may be really proud about finally learning to rotate her hips in toe touches. When Suzie is awarded her trophy, it won't be for "Highest Jumps," but rather, the coach will say "Suzie really improved her toe touches this year, and had a great time at the competition where she performed her back handspring for the first time. I look forward to next year, where she will work on achieving her tuck!" It will take more time to do awards this way, but I really think it would be much more meaningful to the kids and it will highlight everyone's contributions rather than foster jealousy (because there is *always* a kid who thinks she has higher jumps or a better smile or is a better back spot, you know?)

I completely understand what you mean. When I coached T-Ball it was really hard to find 12 awards for a bunch of 4 year olds. All I could come up with was "best daisy picker", best dirt clod builder", etc. I do like the idea of "cute/fun" awards. :)

I was awarded Best Attitude as a formal trophy, and Team Mom as a paper plate award for my school team senior year. =)

I'm a rookie at this....so sorry if this is a dumb question.....but....

What's a paper plate award? :confused:

Back