High School Enforcing Correct Tumbling Technique In A High School Program

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
HS coaches can be under a lot of pressure (not just from themselves, but from parents, athletes, and the administration) to amass skills as quickly as possible. How does one ensure that their kids aren't rushed through tumbling progressions, but are still able to do decently well competitively? Also how would this work in states lacking non-tumbling divisions?

Like, if I as a coach (I'm not yet, just speaking theoretically) were to have a team full of kids whose only sufficiently clean skill was a forward roll, and we were living in an area in which our competitors were throwing handsprings and tucks, how would I be able to operate a competitive program without having my athletes become demoralized (b/c if non-tumbling isn't an option, you'll end up with low scores if you lack difficulty).

When I start coaching, I will have the benefit of having been a tumbling instructor for multiple years. I'll offer tumbling "practices" (which I will highly encourage). I also currently spot tumbling for a high school coached by a former college teammate, do you know anyone? Reach out to a local all star gym and partner up with them?

HS coaches can be under a lot of pressure (not just from themselves, but from parents, athletes, and the administration) to amass skills as quickly as possible. How does one ensure that their kids aren't rushed through tumbling progressions, but are still able to do decently well competitively? Also how would this work in states lacking non-tumbling divisions?

Like, if I as a coach (I'm not yet, just speaking theoretically) were to have a team full of kids whose only sufficiently clean skill was a forward roll, and we were living in an area in which our competitors were throwing handsprings and tucks, how would I be able to operate a competitive program without having my athletes become demoralized (b/c if non-tumbling isn't an option, you'll end up with low scores if you lack difficulty).

This was my HS for about two years? When I was coming up in the program we didn't have gyms that offered basic cheer tumbling. We could go to a local open gym but once school started it was kind of hard commit to (little instruction, late at night). We did have a coach who was only there for gymnastics. Only caveat was that she didn't spot girls who had no experience, for safety. So the girls who progressed quickly over the summer, did well.

We had little tumbling, definitely not majority performing a handspring. So we maxed out in stunting, and the other parts of the score sheet. We had the least amount of tumbling but arguably the most difficult elite stunt. In counties, we were competitive with 4 tucks, 2 hand springs. Regionals and States? No chance. But we didn't push girls to do skills they couldn't do. Ever. We had girls that very well could do handspring but if they weren't consistent or ready to do it in a routine it wasn't put in.

Then a notable AS program opened in the city over so girls started taking lessons there, and that was when we started getting more and more girls who knew what they were doing. We also had a few girls who carpooled to the gym our coach's daughter went to but it was out of state. Now, there's a gym opened in the county that's popular bc it's close to home (across the street from one of the schools) and cheap. Two alumni are on staff, and one comes to help spot at practices.

Now, the girls are superstar tumblers. And are weaker in stunting. Still, that being said they have been more successful. We always say the day we get all the elements, we'll be set .

I think there are very few programs that are great at all the elements of the score sheet. Your job as the coach (or whoever the choreographer is) is to highlight the team's strengths and minimize their weaknesses. If tumbling isn't your strength, you know that you will need to make up points in other areas of the score sheet.

Thanks guys. Any advice on how to insulate the HS program from poor tumbling habits brought in from middle school by incoming freshmen?

We have a tumbling coach and also drill technique at our regular practices. Girls condition for bad technique.
We don't compete skills that aren't clean. Right now our 2nd round (tumbling/precision round) has one handed cartwheels, roundoffs, heelstretches & jumps because our other team skills just aren't clean enough. We even took out back walkovers. We are still scoring well doing low point, clean skills. We actually began scoring better after taking out the walkover (a 1.2pt skill) and replacing it with a roundoff (a 1pt skill).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some great advice already presented here. I've never been overly concerned about tumbling, because in virtually every format, stunting counts about twice as much. I'm not saying you can completely blow it off, but whether you're using a "grid system" like we have at KHSAA or you're using comparative judging like at UCA, your tumbling score is one that you can almost guess before you walk out on the floor. Competition companies typically base your score in HS divisions on group tumbling. So pulling one tuck or adding one full is only going to impact your score by tenths of a point as opposed to whole numbers.

Some great advice already presented here. I've never been overly concerned about tumbling, because in virtually every format, stunting counts about twice as much. I'm not saying you can completely blow it off, but whether you're using a "grid system" like we have at KHSAA or you're using comparative judging like at UCA, your tumbling score is one that you can almost guess before you walk out on the floor. Competition companies typically base your score in HS divisions on group tumbling. So pulling one tuck or adding one full is only going to impact your score by tenths of a point as opposed to whole numbers.

I recently overheard a local middle school coach discussing the merits of competing tumbling v non-tumbling. She didn't seem to get the team tumbling aspect. She was just going on about how much stunting the non-tumbling requires and that it is so difficult and tiring.

My opinion of her was already poor when the middle and high school were working on a combined routine and she had the girls stretch cold and a girl injured her hamstring.

Your comment reminded me of all this.

I recently overheard a local middle school coach discussing the merits of competing tumbling v non-tumbling. She didn't seem to get the team tumbling aspect. She was just going on about how much stunting the non-tumbling requires and that it is so difficult and tiring.

My opinion of her was already poor when the middle and high school were working on a combined routine and she had the girls stretch cold and a girl injured her hamstring.

Your comment reminded me of all this.
*facepalm*. She does know that conditioning and skill-specific drill make stunting easier, right?

*facepalm*. She does know that conditioning and skill-specific drill make stunting easier, right?

I don't talk to her. I am only a parent. I know nothing.

She isn't my cp's coach, but if she pulls this stuff again, we will have words. There are no training requirements for teachers who coach.

I have a dance and track background. I am the daughter of a track and cross country coach who has over 30 years of experience. I know about warming up and stretching.

You are my sunshine! I appreciate how we see eye to eye on so much!

She isn't my cp's coach, but if she pulls this stuff again, we will have words. There are no training requirements for teachers who coach.

I have a dance and track background. I am the daughter of a track and cross country coach who has over 30 years of experience. I know about warming up and stretching.

Aw, thank you! It's programs like your daughter's that I'm desperate to help. I'm still preparing for that.

I hate when schools put a random teacher in charge of the school team. It would honestly be better to just not have a cheer team at all, if that's the route you're going to take -_-

I hate when schools put a random teacher in charge of the school team. It would honestly be better to just not have a cheer team at all, if that's the route you're going to take -_-
What's funnier is when they leave the cheer program ill-equipped and wonder why the program isn't good/embarrasses the school at games.

Latest posts

Back