First Year Of Cheer... I Need A Lot Of Tips And Help! :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 11, 2016
Hello, I'm Esther, I am 15 years old, and I live on the Central Coast of California and a couple of months ago, I started to do my first year of cheer. I went to the first two days of cheer tryouts for my Freshman year of highschool but I didn't go to the last because I was in a difficult life situation. However, I did end up slightly regretting it so I tried out last March for my Sophomore year and I made it onto the squad!
My highschool is very small, it only has 800 students in total. In fact, we only have a Varsity cheer team and everyone who tried out made it because not enough girls tried out for a JV and Varsity team. I decided to join cheer for several reasons. First of all, I am very confident and outgoing, and I really wanted to help make our school have more spirit. Second of all, I was really not a healthy person (I never worked out, I had a horrible diet) so I thought joining cheer would change that (which it did). And lastly, I just simply wanted to try something new, and highschool is a great time for that.
But, of course, since I never had done a sport or been the athletic type of person, I am one of the weak links in my squad. I have definitely improved though. When I tried out I was a foot away from doing my splits, I had no muscle or definition on my body. Now I can do my splits and I'm seeing muscle I didn't even know I had! I know I am still very, very far from being like the other girls but I know I can do it! I just need a couple of tips and help, which is why I joined this forum.
1) My jumps. I feel like I cannot jump if my life counted on it. My toe touches are horrible to look at. My arms and legs all go at different times, my arms go up too high, and my actual legs go up like 1/3 of a 'good' toe touch. My right and left hurdlers are super bad too. And my pike might be the worst of them. Even if I jump the smallest pike I feel like I'm falling and when I come down I stumble back and almost fall.
2)Being sharp with my movements. It's easy when I do it slowly but when I do it faster and faster, of course it will be harder to do. I have this problem with my cheers and dancing.
3)Stunting. Stunting is my biggest problem. I was a main base, but I wasn't good at it so they switched me to backspot and I'm not good at that one either. I just started to learn how to stunt but the rest of my stunt group already has had experience and I feel so embarrassed and guilty because I'm letting them down. Our flyer has absolutely no trust in me whatsoever and I feel so, so bad. Like, I started to cry today because they didn't trust me to the point they didn't even want me doing anything. They had the girl who was teaching me basically replace my spot. But that girl already has a stunt group, just that not everyone in her group was there. They don't trust me, and they're getting annoyed by me and I feel like poop.
So, overall, I really need help in everything. I am getting better and I know I can do it and I practice everyday but I need more tips. So, if you guys can leave even the tiniest tip or advice for me, please do :) Thank youu

Hello, I'm Esther, I am 15 years old, and I live on the Central Coast of California and a couple of months ago, I started to do my first year of cheer. I went to the first two days of cheer tryouts for my Freshman year of highschool but I didn't go to the last because I was in a difficult life situation. However, I did end up slightly regretting it so I tried out last March for my Sophomore year and I made it onto the squad!
My highschool is very small, it only has 800 students in total. In fact, we only have a Varsity cheer team and everyone who tried out made it because not enough girls tried out for a JV and Varsity team. I decided to join cheer for several reasons. First of all, I am very confident and outgoing, and I really wanted to help make our school have more spirit. Second of all, I was really not a healthy person (I never worked out, I had a horrible diet) so I thought joining cheer would change that (which it did). And lastly, I just simply wanted to try something new, and highschool is a great time for that.
But, of course, since I never had done a sport or been the athletic type of person, I am one of the weak links in my squad. I have definitely improved though. When I tried out I was a foot away from doing my splits, I had no muscle or definition on my body. Now I can do my splits and I'm seeing muscle I didn't even know I had! I know I am still very, very far from being like the other girls but I know I can do it! I just need a couple of tips and help, which is why I joined this forum.
1) My jumps. I feel like I cannot jump if my life counted on it. My toe touches are horrible to look at. My arms and legs all go at different times, my arms go up too high, and my actual legs go up like 1/3 of a 'good' toe touch. My right and left hurdlers are super bad too. And my pike might be the worst of them. Even if I jump the smallest pike I feel like I'm falling and when I come down I stumble back and almost fall.
2)Being sharp with my movements. It's easy when I do it slowly but when I do it faster and faster, of course it will be harder to do. I have this problem with my cheers and dancing.
3)Stunting. Stunting is my biggest problem. I was a main base, but I wasn't good at it so they switched me to backspot and I'm not good at that one either. I just started to learn how to stunt but the rest of my stunt group already has had experience and I feel so embarrassed and guilty because I'm letting them down. Our flyer has absolutely no trust in me whatsoever and I feel so, so bad. Like, I started to cry today because they didn't trust me to the point they didn't even want me doing anything. They had the girl who was teaching me basically replace my spot. But that girl already has a stunt group, just that not everyone in her group was there. They don't trust me, and they're getting annoyed by me and I feel like poop.
So, overall, I really need help in everything. I am getting better and I know I can do it and I practice everyday but I need more tips. So, if you guys can leave even the tiniest tip or advice for me, please do :) Thank youu

I am sure you will get some good tips but a lot of what you are having trouble with are really just from lack of experience.

Can you talk to your coach about getting a little extra help it is there a nearby all star gym you could take classes at?

**space for rent**

Back